Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

And remember...DOT is still on the roster...
    I figure he's the RB without a chair.
    with the TE depth and cross responsibilities with FB, I'm not so certain Ben Mason even makes it despite being one of Hortiz's first FA signings.
    2024: Far From Over

Comment

• Chargers8491
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
      Are we all still confident Spiller isn't making the team?

I maintain he's a shoe-in with his size, youth and potential.
      And most of all, Dobbins' injury history and now Gus getting nicked up in June....

Rooting for Spiller.
      Spiller, Matlock, and Henley were done a huge disservice last year especially after Staley was fired. There was no reason why they shouldn't have been on the field more getting reps. The coaches last year were a complete shit show.

Matlack was an animal at Boise State. I'm most baffled as to why he didn't see the field more. He was healthy all season. I'm glad he was singled out by the coaches as a leader. I think he will have a monster year.
      1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
      2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
      2b- #37 Jenkins DT
      3a- #66 Puni OT
      3b- #69 Sainristill CB
      4a- #105 Rice WR
      4b- #110 Lloyd RB
      5- #140 Green CB
      6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
        Are we all still confident Spiller isn't making the team?

I maintain he's a shoe-in with his size, youth and potential.
        And most of all, Dobbins' injury history and now Gus getting nicked up in June....

Rooting for Spiller.
        I'll maintain he's a shoe-in not to be on the roster. I don't mean to bag on Spiller. But he's had his opportunities and he's fallen flat. He doesn't belong on an NFL roster, period. I realize the coaching was dysfunctional in his two seasons, but that excuse only goes so far. He's shown absolutely nothing when he's been given touches, no flashes, no spark of any potential. IMO, they will carry 4 RBs - Gus Bus, Dobbins, Vidal and Mason as a FB. They won't have room for more RBs because they'll want to keep six WR. If they want/need to add an RB, they will sign a veteran FA. It won't be Spiller. That's my take on Spiller and the RB room.

Dotson has no chance of making the roster either. Harbaugh and Roman aren't going to fool around with RBs who have no NFL talent. I don't know about Jaret Patterson, but I highly doubt it. Practice squad only.

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I'll maintain he's a shoe-in not to be on the roster. I don't mean to bag on Spiller. But he's had his opportunities and he's fallen flat. He doesn't belong on an NFL roster, period. I realize the coaching was dysfunctional in his two seasons, but that excuse only goes so far. He's shown absolutely nothing when he's been given touches, no flashes, no spark of any potential. IMO, they will carry 4 RBs - Gus Bus, Dobbins, Vidal and Mason as a FB. They won't have room for more RBs because they'll want to keep six WR. If they want/need to add an RB, they will sign a veteran FA. It won't be Spiller. That's my take on Spiller and the RB room.

Dotson has no chance of making the roster either. Harbaugh and Roman aren't going to fool around with RBs who have no NFL talent. I don't know about Jaret Patterson, but I highly doubt it. Practice squad only.
          The bold is key. How far indeed.
          Jim recruited him before he ultimately chose A&M
          I can see a scenario where they bring in a vet, like you say, over Spiller, but outside of that scenario, I suspect Jim will not hold his lack of production against him.
          I'm still trying to figure out the numbers game myself but I'm leaning towards 4 pure running backs not including Mason because I don't think we're expecting Dobbins to last 17+ games.
          We'll see.

Comment

• Caslon
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2019
            • Send PM

I'll maintain he's a shoe-in not to be on the roster. I don't mean to bag on Spiller. But he's had his opportunities and he's fallen flat. He doesn't belong on an NFL roster, period.
            It seems every spring, Spiller is given kudos in practices but just doesn’t pan out during the regular season. He was a reach.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

I don't know about our RB depth. They didn't get much time with the ball, had poor blocking, coaching and game plan.Based on that you had to be LT to look average. LT's team helped a lot.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post

It seems every spring, Spiller is given kudos in practices but just doesn’t pan out during the regular season. He was a reach.
                We'll find out this year. He has pro NFL blocking and coaches. Last year Ekeler led the #25 rushing O. .

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Now that we officially signed Tony Jefferson, here's my stab at the 2024 53:

2 QB: Herbert, Stick
                  9 OL: Slater, Johnson, Bozeman, Pipkins, Alt, Salyer, Jaimes, Leatherwood, McFadden
                  6 WR: Palmer, McConkey, Chark, QJ, Rice, Davis
                  3 TE: Hurst, Dissly, Heins
                  5 RB: JKD, Edwards, Spiller, Vidal, Mason

8 DL: Ford, Fox, Ogbonnia, Eboigbe, Hinton, Clark, Matlock, Okoye
                  4 EG: Bosa, Mack, Tuli, Dupree
                  4 LB: Colston, Henley, Perryman, Dye
                  4 S: James, Alohi, Jefferson, Harper
                  5 CB: ASJ, Fulton, Still, Hart, Taylor

3 ST: Dicker, Harris, Scott

I have 2 UDFAs making it over vets:
                  I have Heins (6'7" 260lbs) making it as the 3rd TE over Parham because of his size/blocking and upside as a pass catcher over Parham
                  who has had a major injury won't be needed as a target as much with 6 WRs and Hurst.
                  I also have Harper (Notre Dame) making it as the 4th S over Woods who despite some buss in OTAs, I don't believe will be a sure-enough tackler for Minter
                  Harper is a GREAT tackler with great speed and has the Notre Dame connection with coaching staff.
                  I have Ben Mason as the 5th RB/TE and only 3 TEs with McFadden seeing a few snaps as a TE (reportedly).

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

I'm not a big fan of TT. BUT he did draft Slater, Zion in round 1, brought in an Pro Bowler center and Pip was a 3rd rounder. So to insinuate that he didn't invest in the O line is not exactly
                    correct.
                    As of right now, Slater was the only investment he hit on.
                    His real problem was relying on projects like Pipkins and Tevi @OT.
                    We had years and years of ineptitude @ OT before Slater. That just won't work in the NFL.
                    I knew from his first pick (Fluker) that he didn't know what he was doing along the OL.
                    He had 2 good FA signings (Linsley and Aboushi)... the rest were crap and/or breaking down.
                    Go cheap @OL and your team will perpetually be bad and waste any talent you do have elsewhere.
                    I'm glad we have a GM that finally knows what he's doing.
                    OLineCentric

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
                      It seems the Chargers never have never taken the backup QB position seriously. Geno Smith was maybe the last legit backup, but never did much but scramble in his time as backup. Some other good teams have former starters as their backups. The Chargers have mostly had late rounders lately. They’ve never taken the backup QB that seriously. They’ll wait until Herbert is out for a period of time, then go hunting around. Other teams ensure they have a legit plan B on their roster. I’ve always been unsatisfied with the Chargers backup QB approach.
                      Not just QB, it's been across the board shit backups since the early to mid AJ Smith era, and he did most of that thru the draft and then got some divine intervention on some UDFA talent as well...good backups are more expensive at every position but especially at QB, it's why I've been saying for years that it wasn't all TT's fault as some of his mid to late picks that he actually hit on had to go elsewhere for second contracts, outside of his first round hits the rest of the guys had to find money somewhere else, just look at some of the guys that went elsewhere in the last 5 years, and some of those guys could be solid backups here, granted TT was hopeless when it came to drafting O-line...

I'm 100% sure Harbaugh discussed at length with ownership before he agreed to take the job, Dean must've reassured him that things were going to be different going forward...at the very least for as long Jim's tenure lasts and it hasn't just been growing the depth, it's everything, equipment, trainers, everything...signing Chark and Dupree are examples of the new approach, under TT coaches were stuck with whatever was on the roster, whatever got drafted, and holding on to bad draft picks for depth positions rather than filling in with good veterans...TT just wasn't good enough to draft consistently well in the way that the owners wanted to run the team, I'm not sure any GM can consistently refill the cupboard in the era of free agency with just the draft alone...also you need the right infrastructure like coaches and trainers to get guys into starting or depth roles quickly before their rookie deals expire...

Might sound counterintuitive but writing more mid tier checks every offseason is still the more expensive approach from a cash perspective for the owner...the difference between writing a big splash check every couple of years to keep up appearances OR parting with a multitude of medium tier to low medium tier checks on a yearly basis and still having to extend guys like Herbert or Slater every couple of years...
                      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post

Spiller, Matlock, and Henley were done a huge disservice last year especially after Staley was fired. There was no reason why they shouldn't have been on the field more getting reps. The coaches last year were a complete shit show.

Matlack was an animal at Boise State. I'm most baffled as to why he didn't see the field more. He was healthy all season. I'm glad he was singled out by the coaches as a leader. I think he will have a monster year.
                        Moving up from the Mountain west to the NFL is a huge leap,
                        and college DTs rarely hit the ground running in the NFL.

Look at the DT Brown on Carolina ... drafted right after Herbert.

He wasn't much his first 2 - 3 seasons, and then finally took off.

That's why you can't just draft one DT every 4 years, as was Telesco's habit.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

A few touches in a few games in his NFL career is not an opportunity.

I think you misunderstand the type of RB he is velo? No, he's not an explosive back,

and he evidently did not exel in pass protection.

Comment

Working...
                          X