Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by sdchrgrboy View Post
    For everyone who thought Joey was all about the $$. Turns out they were wrong and had it backwards. it was Keenan, who was the one who stated publicly that he wanted to be here but in the end wouldn't take less money. Hopefully his inquiry bug is behind him and he goes out and has great season and plays for the Chargers for a few more years. I know I will be proud to wear my 97 jersey again this year.

"You know, I want to win. I want to be on this team," Bosa said, via the team's official transcript. "I want another shot with the guys in this room, especially Khalil. Yeah, that's what it was and winning football games is more important to me right now than making some extra money. I think we have a great opportunity here. Who knows, maybe I'll have a great year this year and things change down the road. I think if a guy like Khalil is coming off a year with 17 sacks and can take that cut, it shows the kind of guy that he is and the kind of culture we have brewing here. That's who I want to be with. It was a pretty easy"

https://www.nfl.com/news/chargers-joey-bosa-on-pay-cut-winning-more-important-than-making-extra-money#:~:text=I%20want%20to%20be%20on,have%20a%20g reat%20opportunity%20here.

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/20...ss-conference/
    Yeah, I don't have a #97 jersey, but Bosa is back in my "good graces." Hopeful that the twilight seasons of his career are fruitful for him and the Chargers.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
      Beef Before Gazelles
      • May 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Havent heard, whats the info?

I just read that Denver may cut Javonte Williams as he struggled last season coming off a bad knee injury. If they do id be all over it.
      If I remember right, Dobbins has a hamstring strain. They never officially commented on what's kept Gus Edwards out of action (just like they haven't elaborated on what's sidelined Junior Colson.)

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Gus and Dobbins are BOTH currently shelved with injuries!

Various holes on the roster, some bigger than others. You mention a few.

When a team is really fortunate (and drafted well on Day 3), maybe TWO of those holes get filled by up-and-comers. Possibly another two get filled by D.J. Chark-like free agent acquisitions. But that STILL leaves other holes. We're in a waiting game here.
        I'm betting on Coaches judgement. Dotson, Spiller, Patterson and Vidal will get a shot behind a real run blocking OL and have Far, far better coaches in Harbaugh, Roman and McDonald.

That's OL blocking and coaching like we haven't seen for many years. We'll run the ball successfully with or without Gus and Dobbins but it would be nice to have them.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post

There hasn't been much talk about the D-line it's been about the oline specifically Pip.

Not sure what the Dline is going to look like in their base 3-4. I'm guessing Tito will be the starting NT with Ford and Fox at RDE and LDE. Not much depth behind Tito. I think Clark will back up Tito but after that not so sure. Not a lot of talk coming out of OTAs as to who is lining up where. But we sure know about the o-line..lol.

DB's I feel much better now than I did before the draft. I said prior to the draft that if the Chargers come away with 2 DBs that would be a win. Still made some nice plays to close out the last 3 days of OTAs. I don't think it is weak as most but would say it's untested.

As far as RBs, not sure what is going on with Gus and Dobbins. I really like Vidal and think he will be the starter some time before season end. Patterson has been looking good and really hasn't been talked about. I think this team is better than most are giving credit and they sure are deeper than they have been in a long time.
          I suspect we will run a 4-2-5 base D so only 2 DTs are needed as starters.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• PR#1
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Joey bosa is washed at this point in his career.

He played 5 games in 2022 and 9 games last season.

​​​Hes a walking pulled hammy at this point in his career

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post

​​Hes a walking pulled hammy at this point in his career
              Jim and company disagrees.
              Jim goes so far as to say Bosa is as good as Mack when healthy, which I'm sure is a bit hyperbolic but far from washed.
              unavailability is a big deal, but it's basically Bosa's only concern.
              2024: Far From Over

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Okay.
                I Hope he remains healthy. The strength coach Herbert supposedly is good at making his players harder to break.
                Would be great for Bosa if this new staff can keep him on the field for more games.
                ​​​However injury is not something Bosa can completely control.

But he can control many things........

He can control being a better teammate.
                He can control not getting called for lining up offsides
                He can control not showing up referees and having a meltdown and throwing helmet.
                He needs to save that energy for the next play.
                He needs to make friends with refs.
                He needs to know their first names.
                He needs to know where they live.
                He needs to ask where the best place to eat is and if they have wife and kids, ask them about that.

He needs to eat at that place they recommended and tell them how great it was.
                ​​​Then he needs to say hey Shawn or whatever the person name is...... Hey, do you see they like to try and line up a bit farther back than technically allowed and when I get that edge they close line me once in a while, which should be a hold. So can you keep an eye on that and throw that flag early in game if you see it. I trust you Shawn. You were right about the best place to get hot wings and you will be right to throw flag at least once today. And as long as I don't take that extra step, let me give the QB a love tap so he knows how close I am to giving him a Joey Bear Hug. Thanks Shawn. Hope you , the wife and kids had a great summer. LFG!!!!!!

And then STFU and ball.
                And do it again the next game.
                Make that your new normal JB.
                I swear you don't get a flag because refs don't like you antics and glares at them. Stop it. It hurts your cause, it doesn't help.
                Refs are not in your way. They could assist you.
                Flip the script here. Make the refs your BFFs who all have told you the best spot to eat in their hometown. I know you like food Joey. Win/Win. More holding calls and more great places to eat.
                Not so sure about some of those ideas...sure, try to not annoy refs, that's for sure...but...to "know where they live?" And to ask about their wife and kids? Gotta be careful not to sound like a stalker, here...

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post

​​Hes a walking pulled hammy at this point in his career
                  Okay, so Joey is now due for at least a 12+ game season!

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

If I remember right, Dobbins has a hamstring strain. They never officially commented on what's kept Gus Edwards out of action (just like they haven't elaborated on what's sidelined Junior Colson.)
                    Colson has been participating in team practices.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

Just some commentary on Justin Herbert's contract in the wake of the Jags' giving Trevor Lawrence the house in a contract extension this week. (Putting it in this thread because, though I talk about other teams, the focus is Herbert and the Chargers.) Also Jared Goff - last month the Lions gave him a four year extension, making Goff among the highest paid QBs in the NFL.

1. Nobody wants to give Tom Telesco credit for doing anything right, but he absolutely did the Chargers a huge good turn by locking up Herbert long-term as soon as it was possible to do so before last season started. Herbert's average yearly salary is $52.5 mil through 2029. That is already making him one of the best QB bargains in the league. Lawrence is getting $55 mil per year. Goff, $52.5 mil per year. Neither Lawrence nor Goff are in Herbert's tier as QBs. (There's a graphic out there that compares side by side Lawrence's numbers to that of Gardner Minshew as Jags' QBs, and Minshew's are decidedly superior).

2. The price for franchise QBs is going to continue to rise steadily and substantially, further dropping Herbert down the list of highest paid QBs. Mahomes is now the 10th highest paid QB in the league. His $45 mil per year salary, under the contract he signed in 2020, makes him without question the best QB bargain in the NFL. When Brady was with the Patriots, he also was never or rarely the highest paid QB in the league. And look at the dynasties the Patriots and Chiefs have built by their QBs not being the highest paid, freeing up extra cap space to keep the rest of the roster stocked with quality players. It allowed the Chiefs to resign Chris Jones.

Having Herbert locked in at $52.5m avg through 2029 is going to allow the Chargers to do the same, have enough cap space to keep the roster stocked with quality players. And like Brady and Mahomes, Herbert is going to mind being a bargain at QB if it results in long-term winning.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                        Just some commentary on Justin Herbert's contract in the wake of the Jags' giving Trevor Lawrence the house in a contract extension this week. (Putting it in this thread because, though I talk about other teams, the focus is Herbert and the Chargers.) Also Jared Goff - last month the Lions gave him a four year extension, making Goff among the highest paid QBs in the NFL.

1. Nobody wants to give Tom Telesco credit for doing anything right, but he absolutely did the Chargers a huge good turn by locking up Herbert long-term as soon as it was possible to do so before last season started. Herbert's average yearly salary is $52.5 mil through 2029. That is already making him one of the best QB bargains in the league. Lawrence is getting $55 mil per year. Goff, $52.5 mil per year. Neither Lawrence nor Goff are in Herbert's tier as QBs. (There's a graphic out there that compares side by side Lawrence's numbers to that of Gardner Minshew as Jags' QBs, and Minshew's are decidedly superior).

2. The price for franchise QBs is going to continue to rise steadily and substantially, further dropping Herbert down the list of highest paid QBs. Mahomes is now the 10th highest paid QB in the league. His $45 mil per year salary, under the contract he signed in 2020, makes him without question the best QB bargain in the NFL. When Brady was with the Patriots, he also was never or rarely the highest paid QB in the league. And look at the dynasties the Patriots and Chiefs have built by their QBs not being the highest paid, freeing up extra cap space to keep the rest of the roster stocked with quality players. It allowed the Chiefs to resign Chris Jones.

Having Herbert locked in at $52.5m avg through 2029 is going to allow the Chargers to do the same, have enough cap space to keep the roster stocked with quality players. And like Brady and Mahomes, Herbert is going to mind being a bargain at QB if it results in long-term winning.
                        Well, once in a while TT DID do a few things right...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

First of all, I don't care what anybody says about Goff. He does not get the credit he deserves.

He doesn't have the rocket arm but he took the Rams to the SB and has the Lions as one of the best offenses in the league and he has very good numbers the last three years and frankly they were good with the Rams.

Tua will get too much money now and imo Goff is better. Lawrence got over paid. He hasn't been very good.

Brady. ...he is the one that took less money. No way he should get 30 mil from TB while Rodgers got 45-50. Brady is very unselfish and didn't care about pro bowls or MVPs( that's Rodgers thing) . He wanted rings.

I hated the Patriots but Brady is the one who took less money and you don't see that very often.

Now he gets the same money this season to comment on games as a analyst as he did to play and he isn't afraid to say what we all are thinking.

He called the QBs pampered and it was too easy and why he kept playing.

Comment

Working...
                          X