• Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

First the Rams own pick 52 and not 51 as they own 19 and 83

Second - why are you including Mack. The chargers can just release Mack and save the $23m. Or they can find another team and get likea 5th or 6th round pick. Granted, I think it should be higher but no reason to give him away

Third - the NFL Draft point chart shows the value of the 5th pick to be 1700 (exclusive of Mack). The value of those three picks is 1430. So well below value. For the 5th pick I want at least 10% over the nfl point chart -- if not more. Not less

So this would be a terrible trade
    I am aware of the factors, including the trade chart.
    Once again, as Joe Hortiz has stated, we have to find trade partners.
    Mack likes Giff.
    The players we draft for Harbaugh with those picks are what matters, not the calculations of the charts.
    There is a whole more to the NFL than counting beans.
    I see no commentary on the specific players I mention or on players that will be available at the new spots.
    Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

personally think Mack is now worth more than the second we gave up for him.... he has a solid last two years under his belt.... up to the Rams, but he could well be worth 19 on his own ??

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Agree.... I love Bowers and understand football enough to know that every offense has a great TE (final 4 teams in playoffs all had great TE's)......and Chargers have not had one since Gates, and have ZERO dependable TEs on the roster.....
        BUT i will leave it to Harbaugh and Ortiz to decide which elite player we take at 5 or a few spots later....
        Everyone is trying to equate great TE's to championships. Yet, I don't think we ever won a championship with Gates or Winslow. While everyone will point to Kelce as their proof this year... it is notable that Kittle had 2 catches for 4 yards.

At the end of regualtion, each team only had 19 points... and 7 of those points were gifted to KC via a muffed punt. Defense matters. Harbaugh understands this... Hortiz understands, too. A trade back would be ideal. But if that doesn't happen, don't be too disappointed if an OT is selected @#5... or even a defensive player [gasp!]

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I am aware of the factors, including the trade chart.
          Once again, as Joe Hortiz has stated, we have to find trade partners.
          Mack likes Giff.
          The players we draft for Harbaugh with those picks are what matters, not the calculations of the charts.
          There is a whole more to the NFL than counting beans.
          I see no commentary on the specific players I mention or on players that will be available at the new spots.
          Yes it does matter as you are not getting value for the pick based on the league perception of the value of the 5th pick in the draft.

You are helping the rest of the league, and the Rams - by making this trade.

Hortiz comes from the Ravens - there is no way in hell they make this trade. No chance. ZERO.

I do agree that the story of the trade will be told with the players the Chargers draft compared to who the other team drafts. But I am not losing the trade on Day 1 and trying to make up for it - which is what the Chargers would be doing

Sorry not making a bad trade - I would release Mack and go about my business before making a bad trade. Plus, the Chargers will know 6 weeks before the draft the value of Mack and Bosa -maybe it becomes a DHop type trade where the Cardinals were hoping for a draft day deal but with Mack due a roster bonus on the 5th day of the league year, in all likelihood, this will be known in mid March and not around the draft.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Yes it does matter as you are not getting value for the pick based on the league perception of the value of the 5th pick in the draft.

You are helping the rest of the league, and the Rams - by making this trade.

Hortiz comes from the Ravens - there is no way in hell they make this trade. No chance. ZERO.

I do agree that the story of the trade will be told with the players the Chargers draft compared to who the other team drafts. But I am not losing the trade on Day 1 and trying to make up for it - which is what the Chargers would be doing

Sorry not making a bad trade - I would release Mack and go about my business before making a bad trade. Plus, the Chargers will know 6 weeks before the draft the value of Mack and Bosa -maybe it becomes a DHop type trade where the Cardinals were hoping for a draft day deal but with Mack due a roster bonus on the 5th day of the league year, in all likelihood, this will be known in mid March and not around the draft.
              Do you even know the prospects involved ?
              I tried to draw the Jim Harbaugh connection and the analogy of Mizzou Tigers Justin Smith and Aldon Smith, relating to Mizzou Tiger Darius Robinson. In your posts, you are still guessing who Justin Smith was.

My basis is broad and historic knowledge about the NFL. Jesse Minter will want to run exactly the same type of stunts with Darius that Fangio-Harbaugh did a decade ago at SF.
              I will decide for myself what is a bad trade.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                personally think Mack is now worth more than the second we gave up for him.... he has a solid last two years under his belt.... up to the Rams, but he could well be worth 19 on his own ??
                Hard to think a team is giving up 5 years of team control for the FRP at a very reasonable contract for one, maybe two good years at an AAV of $20m or more

Brad Spiegelberger of PFF had a proposed trade to the Lions - it was for a 2025 4th round pick. I thought that was fair for Mack and I also thought the trade partner was a good one. Mack makes more sense for the Lions than he does for the Chargers

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Everyone is trying to equate great TE's to championships. Yet, I don't think we ever won a championship with Gates or Winslow. While everyone will point to Kelce as their proof this year... it is notable that Kittle had 2 catches for 4 yards.

At the end of regualtion, each team only had 19 points... and 7 of those points were gifted to KC via a muffed punt. Defense matters. Harbaugh understands this... Hortiz understands, too. A trade back would be ideal. But if that doesn't happen, don't be too disappointed if an OT is selected @#5... or even a defensive player [gasp!]
                  Byron Murphy/Jer'Zhan Newton * disruptive IDL pass rushers are rare birds

T'Vondre Sweat * a decent NT is usually an exception to the rule.... 'specially/let alone @37

Cedric Gray * maybe you like Colson better, but we cannot go into the season minus Murray 'n Kendricks, without bringing in LB

if we get extra picks, then I'm looking offense.... OC/RT, RB.... defense first.... thinking SB.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Do you even know the prospects involved ?
                    I tried to draw the Jim Harbaugh connection and the analogy of Mizzou Tigers Justin Smith and Aldon Smith, relating to Mizzou Tiger Darius Robinson. In your posts, you are still guessing who Justin Smith was.

My basis is broad and historic knowledge about the NFL. Jesse Minter will want to run exactly the same type of stunts with Darius that Fangio-Harbaugh did a decade ago at SF.
                    I will decide for myself what is a bad trade.
                    My guess, there would not be one GM who makes that trade, going from 5 to 19 for those two extra picks and targeting specific players like that. The draft is too unpredictable.

And if the coaching staff is as good as I think it is - they will have a variety of players and understand don't pencil in specific names, its about adding talent.

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Hard to think a team is giving up 5 years of team control for the FRP at a very reasonable contract for one, maybe two good years at an AAV of $20m or more

Brad Spiegelberger of PFF had a proposed trade to the Lions - it was for a 2025 4th round pick. I thought that was fair for Mack and I also thought the trade partner was a good one. Mack makes more sense for the Lions than he does for the Chargers
                      When Khalil Mack was at a contract impasse with the Oakland Raiders, the Rams tried to make a deal for the edge rusher before the Chicago Bears came up with the winning offer.

once upon a time he was worth two firsts and some change.... not sure why/how you and others here are assigning RB metrics to other positions.... how old is Calais Campbell ?? not to mention that a productIve edge rusher is very valuable,

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

My guess, there would not be one GM who makes that trade, going from 5 to 19 for those two extra picks and targeting specific players like that. The draft is too unpredictable.

And if the coaching staff is as good as I think it is - they will have a variety of players and understand don't pencil in specific names, its about adding talent.
                        No we are done here with this discussion in this vein.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

When Khalil Mack was at a contract impasse with the Oakland Raiders, the Rams tried to make a deal for the edge rusher before the Chicago Bears came up with the winning offer.

once upon a time he was worth two firsts and some change.... not sure why/how you and others here are assigning RB metrics to other positions.... how old is Calais Campbell ?? not to mention that a productIve edge rusher is very valuable,
                          Six years ago he was worth that to the Bears. But the Chargers are not in a position to be picky in terms of value. They have to make certain moves and teams know it.

Comment

Working...
                          X