• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Gus Edwards injured. Hopefully back by camp.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
      Jim said best 5.
      What else would he say.
      Today's best 5 is Today's best 5.
      Jim Harbaugh is a big every day is a new day type of guy, dominate the day type of guy. And then do it again tomorrow. Competition is welcome.

I have my prediction. Joe Alt was a layup.
      This shot I'm calling is from farther out.
      ​​​​
      Alt wasn't a layup, you called it correct but there were valid theories for a couple other options. good call and it does (imo) say they were not confident in either the Trade down/RT later

Things could change, and our predictions are on record. I have no special affection for Pip vs Salyer or Karson or McFadden. I left Jaimes out as I've soured on him lol. Maybe its how excessinve the TPB hype was for him that left me so disappointed but he has never looked good at OG imo. I didnt pick Pip as my prediction because I love him, he was just my amateur conclusion based on all I've seen and read. If he gets beat out later, then someone else got a lot better so thats a good thing.

I'm gonna assume you do not mean Jim might reshuffle his starting OL every day. have a good one, crit.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• charger1_sj
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

there are reasons that I can think of to name Pipkins the starting RG so early, things that we don't see, locker room type stuff that we are not privy to, are they making a statement about the type of players that they want to go to war with, guys that have earned their trust? IDK, but now Trey has to live up to the expectation on the field or the belief the coaches have in him won't matter for shit, he has to rise to the occasion...I think he'll be up to the task and he doesn't have to be an All-pro either, he just has to bring stability to the position and buy them some time so they can find a long term answer at RG, same goes for Bozeman, just bring stability and respectability to center until they can find the future guy...

another reason could be to give the starting group a longer runway to establish rapport as a group, to us it might seem like the season is so far away, but to the coaching staff they know that time is of the essence and to them the season is right around the corner, the urgency is to get a group of guys to play as if they've been together for years but from center over everything is new and Alt played LT in college to boot...

Alt is another reason, this could all be about giving Alt a comfort zone for him to settle into instead of throwing guard after guard at him in practices, the coaches might've decided that Pipkins was the better person to help develop Alt at RT, Salyer sucked ass last year, missed assignment after missed assignment, lack of communication with his RT and his center, it was a fucking shitshow on the right side, you see the film and Trey and Slater holding their own on the outside and inside you see Salyer, Clapp, and Johnson spun around watching Herbert or the RB get hit or being chased around, it was fucking ridiculous...why would the coaches sign up for another year of that bullshit?

No, the coaches want Alt to have the best chance at having success in his rookie season and despite Alt taking his job it sounds like Pipkins has willingly acceded the position and become his mentor, that's leadership, that's what the coaches want to see, not some asshole complaining about losing his fucking job...Pipkins has won the job because he has earned the trust of the coaches and Alt, they trust him to help scaffold Alt's development and that says a lot, Trey still has to prove that he can hold up on inside, but I'm not worried about it, he's already past the mental and maturity part and physically he's as strong as he's ever going to be, dude is in his prime now, otherwise the coaches wouldn't have done what they did...

so leadership, traits, trust, and precious continuity to help bring the rookie along, this is what the coaches are seeing and thinking about that we don't get to see...
        Best post on the Pip drama thus far by a country mile.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post
          Pip..."We have Great Expectations for you!"

Excellent metaphor, Gzubie! In the original novel by Charles Dickens, Pip, the main character, overcomes a series of obstacles to become the man he was destined to be. In the same way, our current Pip is trying to overcome a position change from T to G, along with the naysayers who have dismissed him as incompetent. I am pulling for Pip to be successful. Indeed, we all (er, most of us...) have "Great Expectations" for our very own Pip...

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
            Gus Edwards injured. Hopefully back by camp.

https://x.com/alexinsdorf99/status/1...4BrrXe6U-h5bEA
            Oops, the Bus is in the shop for repairs...paging Dot...
            Last edited by Topcat; 06-13-2024, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I wasn't really suggesting that, just sarcasm...was just poking fun at the pipkins negativity stuff...
              In the Middle Ages, one of the biggest debates was "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" And here we are, centuries later, debating a similar question: How many times can we dance around the question of whether Pip can play RG? Until TC, I think it's time to go back to discussing music, rock bands and Australian hardwoods...

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                Beef Before Gazelles
                • May 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

In the Middle Ages, one of the biggest debates was "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?"
                It depends on whether you're talking about Line dancing or The Rhumba.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

It depends on whether you're talking about Line dancing or The Rhumba.
                  They didn't have line dancing in the Middle Ages...however, they DID dance "The Carole," when a group of men and women held hands and danced in a circle:

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Alt wasn't a layup, you called it correct but there were valid theories for a couple other options. good call and it does (imo) say they were not confident in either the Trade down/RT later

Things could change, and our predictions are on record. I have no special affection for Pip vs Salyer or Karson or McFadden. I left Jaimes out as I've soured on him lol. Maybe its how excessinve the TPB hype was for him that left me so disappointed but he has never looked good at OG imo. I didnt pick Pip as my prediction because I love him, he was just my amateur conclusion based on all I've seen and read. If he gets beat out later, then someone else got a lot better so thats a good thing.

I'm gonna assume you do not mean Jim might reshuffle his starting OL every day. have a good one, crit.
                    Alt was a layup. Not only was he the BPA @#5, he fit every description of what this coaching staff wants along the OL. He fit every description of what the coaches claim they want the team to be. Physical. Able to run the ball. Most importantly, they want to protect Justin Herbert. There was really only one player that does all of that.

We haven't seen the OL do anything yet in OTA's. They come out of their stances at half speed and the DL are instructed to go half speed... and never get a chance to close on the QB's. That is how you implement an install. None of the OL are driving their DL counterparts out of their gaps. None of the DL are putting helmets on chins (Bosa's description).

Once guys start really testing each other in camp or PS games... I'm assuming that you do not want Pip @RG if he's getting outplayed by others. That doesn't sound like true competition.

OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Did Roman say Pip was going medieval... or mid-speed-al...?
                      OLineCentric

Comment

• charger1_sj
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Alt was a layup. Not only was he the BPA @#5, he fit every description of what this coaching staff wants along the OL. He fit every description of what the coaches claim they want the team to be. Physical. Able to run the ball. Most importantly, they want to protect Justin Herbert. There was really only one player that does all of that.

We haven't seen the OL do anything yet in OTA's. They come out of their stances at half speed and the DL are instructed to go half speed... and never get a chance to close on the QB's. That is how you implement an install. None of the OL are driving their DL counterparts out of their gaps. None of the DL are putting helmets on chins (Bosa's description).

Once guys start really testing each other in camp or PS games... I'm assuming that you do not want Pip @RG if he's getting outplayed by others. That doesn't sound like true competition.
                        He was not necessarily BPA. The rest is true. Fairly difficult to determine BPA between a WR and an OT and that's what it came down to. If we switch places with the
                        Giants do you think they take Alt or Nabers? Not everybody is going to agree.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                          Beef Before Gazelles
                          • May 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

He was not necessarily BPA. The rest is true. Fairly difficult to determine BPA between a WR and an OT and that's what it came down to. If we switch places with the
                          Giants do you think they take Alt or Nabers? Not everybody is going to agree.
                          I tend to agree. You evaluate players, and you evaluate team needs. When player ratings are super close, the higher need can take precedence over the exact ranking.

I'm convinced that both Nabers and Odunze are elite guys. But what sold me on Alt was the conclusion a sports analyst reached after evaluating O-line prospects over the last 35 years. He claimed that Alt is the 10th best O-line prospect since 1988.

I doubt that same comparison can be drawn for Nabers and Odunze, by which I mean: Are they in the Top 10 wide receiver prospects since 1988? I'm thinking *not*.

This suggests that Alt is actually the more rare prospect.

Comment

Working...
                          X