• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
    Joe's seeming propensity to stockpile picks?
    Here's what the Chargers already have in draft capital going into the 2025 draft barring any trades between now and the deadline...they have their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4rth, 5th, 6th, a 6th from NE in the JC Jackson trade, and a 7th from Cleveland from when they traded our old kicker, they sent their original 7th to NE in the JC Jackson move...so that's 8 total picks without factoring the compensatory picks that they'll be getting for this past offseason FA losses...

as for the Compensatory picks, they are getting a 5th for K9, a 6th for Ekeler, and a 6th for Everett and I believe that they will get an additional 7th rounder for Michael Davis once the full formula is finalized, but that 5th, and the two 6ths are already locked in for sure...

that adds up to 8 regular picks and 3 compensatory picks with the potential to get another compensatory pick...8+3=11 picks as of right now and that could become 12 total picks when it's all said and done...something tells me that trading Pipkins would be less about accumulating even more picks, but I could totally see them perhaps trading like that 5th round comp plus Trey for a 4th round pick or something of that sort...I think they have a lot of picks already, not sure if they'll be looking to acquire more, so using lower picks to move up a round or two or something like that makes more sense to me...11-12 picks is already a lot of picks...
    Last edited by Fouts2herbert; 06-11-2024, 01:41 AM.
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      JH3 and Me
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I can see you need a change
      Convince Harleywood Leatherwood to attach a sidecart
      Bring a bedroll
      Start at the ocean
      Climb the mountain
      Sleep under the desert stars
      Rob enough liquor stores to stay on the road until late August

By then the dust will settle
      All things that were hidden... will be revealed.
      The 1% solution - love it! You get me brother.

My wife and daughter were discussing her plans last night for touring more schools over the summer and I said shit, you two stay here and get jobs and I’ll take a summer tour across the country going to concerts and drinking whiskey.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        JH3 and Me
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Here's what the Chargers already have in draft capital going into the 2025 draft barring any trades between now and the deadline...they have their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4rth, 5th, 6th, a 6th from NE in the JC Jackson trade, and a 7th from Cleveland from when they traded our old kicker, they sent their original 7th to NE in the JC Jackson move...so that's 8 total picks without factoring the compensatory picks that they'll be getting for this past offseason FA losses...

as for the Compensatory picks, they are getting a 5th for K9, a 6th for Ekeler, and a 6th for Everett and I believe that they will get an additional 7th rounder for Michael Davis once the full formula is finalized, but that 5th, and the two 6ths are already locked in for sure...

that adds up to 8 regular picks and 3 compensatory picks with the potential to get another compensatory pick...8+3=11 picks as of right now and that could become 12 total picks when it's all said and done...something tells me that trading Pipkins would be less about accumulating even more picks, but I could totally see them perhaps trading like that 5th round comp plus Trey for a 4th round pick or something of that sort...I think they have a lot of picks already, not sure if they'll be looking to acquire more, so using lower picks to move up a round or two or something like that makes more sense to me...11-12 picks is already a lot of picks...
        Joe does not dislike picks, can’t imagine any GMs do. But we’re not yet into this fabled “stockpile” phase of his tenure if such a phase is going to occur … he didn’t stock or pile that one extra late pick he currently holds for ‘25. He stocked nothing in his first draft. He will do better in ‘25 comps than TT ever did though, true that. he managed the in/out formula better than TT ever could. Lets give him that. Part of that was just that he inherited a top-heavy over-cap roster that had to be cut (FAs not re-signed), but part was his shrewd new signings to avoid comp deductions on the other side of the ledger.

some positive signs, I’m still not as sure on this Stocker Joe rep he’s been assigned that is 100% based on observations of what his bosses did at his last job. He didn’t do that. he may, just don’t know yet.

I believe in quality over quantity at a certain point too - I want to see multiple late Day3 picks bundled for Day2 picks. 12, 13+ rookies are unlikely to impact a team, many can’t even make the roster. thats just a very rare straight flush level of luck in late day 3 picking and a sign that your roster last year sucked. Some of those guys are just early UDFAs. I’d like to see more Day 2 picks where odds are much higher of excellence. Rd7 comp picks are worth close to nothing though.

I’m already a big fan of this man … glad we have him here. You can see the intelligence of what he’s doing. Just like the coaching staff - Its a new era! Onward, upward!
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

The 1% solution - love it! You get me brother.

My wife and daughter were discussing her plans last night for touring more schools over the summer and I said shit, you two stay here and get jobs and I’ll take a summer tour across the country going to concerts and drinking whiskey.
          There is absolutely no reason why both dreams can not be fulfilled... preferably in two separate cars.

In all seriousness, congrats on the school search. Very exciting! I went down that road 6 years ago... and the she ended up at UCSC. All of those outings to the beach and camping trips to the forest must have had an impact. Go Banana Slugs!
          OLineCentric

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
            Beef Before Gazelles
            • May 2021
            • Send PM

I continue to see the occasional piece of clickbait that suggests the Chargers are interested in Tee Higgins or Brandon Aiyuk. Hasn't that ship sailed?!?

'Cause I don't see it. Slow time of year, and content creators trying to keep their number of 'hits' up. I doubt that there will be any noteworthy addition to the roster between now and TC.

Comment

• Chargers8491
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

That might apply if we didn't have a bunch of giants. He's one guy, plays DE/edge better than avg against competition he's faced so far. I don't care about his measurements if he gets a lot of sacks
              Totally agree. Some are like if they are not a pro-bowler with elite measurables/skills kick them to the curb.

The guy produced. 57 1/2 tackles for loss and 25 sacks is not shabby. This guy has a very good chance to make the team on ST and/or situational pass rusher.
              Adopted Bolt: QJ

SEASON: 2024 (WK3)
              REC: 10
              YARDS: 133
              TDS: 3

Comment

• Chargers8491
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2022
                • Send PM

So I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. Pip sucks so bad that the Chargers should trade him?

if Pip sucks so bad, who on earth would trade for him? Just because you don’t like him or where he was picked doesn’t mean he sucks.

Harbaugh has already said he is was of the top 5 o-line. This has been one of the most straight forward GMs/HCs I think I have ever seen. They tell what they are doing and don’t tap dance around.

Just look at the draft. Looking back, Harbaugh pretty much told us the 1st pick would be Alt. He went on and on about the oline. There was no way he is going to prop up the oline like that then take a WR or other position than oline. It would send the wrong message. Anyway, I will shocked if Pip isn’t the starting RG minus an injury. He is a lot better than people give him credit for.
                Adopted Bolt: QJ

SEASON: 2024 (WK3)
                REC: 10
                YARDS: 133
                TDS: 3

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Joe does not dislike picks, can’t imagine any GMs do. But we’re not yet into this fabled “stockpile” phase of his tenure if such a phase is going to occur … he didn’t stock or pile that one extra late pick he currently holds for ‘25. He stocked nothing in his first draft. He will do better in ‘25 comps than TT ever did though, true that. he managed the in/out formula better than TT ever could. Lets give him that. Part of that was just that he inherited a top-heavy over-cap roster that had to be cut (FAs not re-signed), but part was his shrewd new signings to avoid comp deductions on the other side of the ledger.

some positive signs, I’m still not as sure on this Stocker Joe rep he’s been assigned that is 100% based on observations of what his bosses did at his last job. He didn’t do that. he may, just don’t know yet.

I believe in quality over quantity at a certain point too - I want to see multiple late Day3 picks bundled for Day2 picks. 12, 13+ rookies are unlikely to impact a team, many can’t even make the roster. thats just a very rare straight flush level of luck in late day 3 picking and a sign that your roster last year sucked. Some of those guys are just early UDFAs. I’d like to see more Day 2 picks where odds are much higher of excellence. Rd7 comp picks are worth close to nothing though.

I’m already a big fan of this man … glad we have him here. You can see the intelligence of what he’s doing. Just like the coaching staff - Its a new era! Onward, upward!
                  One of the areas were we could see some of these lower picks come into play with Ortiz is "in season trades" something we as Charger fans might find completely foreign after all those years of TT being GM, so in that regard I am looking forward to Hortiz continuing his managing of the compensatory pick formula much like he did this offseason...but yeah, he inherited an extra 6th from TT in 2025 much like he also inherited an extra 7th in 2024 from Drew Tranquil comp...but as of right now he's did acquire a 4rth for Keenan which he used to move up in the second round and still got a 5th in return so that he maintained the extra pick he got in the original trade, that extra pick from Keenan turned into two guys Ladd and Traheeb...the guy is shrewd for sure, the way he managed the comp formula was really cool to watch and he managed to not just get lower priced guys that still have something to contribute but he managed to improve overall team depth while he was working the roster...if he continues to manage the roster like that I'm okay with him not hoarding picks just for the sake of having a bunch of picks...
                  "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• jox g
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

The reverse of that is “WTF Pips? You just got toasted by a UDFA.”
                    Pips you let this guy sqeak by you? "Pipsqueak."

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

The extra picks will be used to trade up and/or trade down.

We will be able to build exactly the roster that fits.
                      Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post
                        So I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. Pip sucks so bad that the Chargers should trade him?

if Pip sucks so bad, who on earth would trade for him? Just because you don’t like him or where he was picked doesn’t mean he sucks.

Harbaugh has already said he is was of the top 5 o-line. This has been one of the most straight forward GMs/HCs I think I have ever seen. They tell what they are doing and don’t tap dance around.

Just look at the draft. Looking back, Harbaugh pretty much told us the 1st pick would be Alt. He went on and on about the oline. There was no way he is going to prop up the oline like that then take a WR or other position than oline. It would send the wrong message. Anyway, I will shocked if Pip isn’t the starting RG minus an injury. He is a lot better than people give him credit for.
                        Harbaugh does not yet know whether Pipkins can play ORG at a consistent, gritty level, as we need.

And it would not be suckage that would lead to a trade, rather newly discovered, surprising depth.

Our line must have no weaknesses.

Part two of what Jimbo is declaring is "prove me wrong."

Salyer, Leatherwood, McFadden, Barnhart...are the competitors that are welcome to the festivities.

If nothing else, the inconsistent Pipkins will hear footsteps, like he did before elevating his game to get a contract.

Or do you think Jim Harbaugh solely goes by PFF grades ?
                        Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post

He has to show it in TC and preseason. I dont think anyone said he sucks and should be traded, but rather IF he sucks he COULD be traded. Wont know either til he shows what he is as a RG.

I also saw and heard JH say the best 5 will play. Unless i missed it, i didnt see him say Pip was one of the top 5. Regardless, RG is an open competition and may the best man win.

Just hope isnt weak enough that we need to bring in someone else.

Comment

Working...
                          X