The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    Meh.
    6'2"
    Where's the arm length ?
    Yep. You build with small players, you end up with a small team.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

What did i discount? I just said he has to show it.

How long have we been watching Pipkins? 5-6 years? He has gotton better, that is true but he was competely crap to the point he is now and some still have little confidense in him and he is being moved because they dont believe he can be an effective RT. So now he has to show he can be an effective RG.
      I'm not alone in thinking that he was one of the better O-linemen on the line last year, Pipkins has been a decent player for the last 2 plus years, he was never going to be elite so I'm glad they invested on having elite bookends, I thought they could've traded down and still upgraded RT without moving Alt from left to right and then used that extra first rounder on a top DB or Edge player, it's history now and I'm looking forward to seeing Alt dominate for years to come and that's something that Trey was never going to be (dominant) so they improved the line greatly by drafting Alt, I understand that it's difficult for Pipkins to live down what he did in the first 3 years of his career and also the stigma of having been drafted too early by TT as well, but the fact remains that ever since Slater showed up and took him under his wing, Trey has improved dramatically and enough to be an average/acceptable starter in the NFL...coming from where he was it's been amazing to see him turn himself into something with Rashawn's guidance and support...and yes, if he can't handle the RG transition they'll bounce him in a heartbeat, I still believe he would have trade value, such is the lack of talented players at the OT position that the chargers could still get something back for Trey Pipkins even with his 7mil cap hit, a LOT of teams around the league are desperate for OT help, what they would give up for Trey I would not even begin to speculate maybe a 2025 5th rounder? I don't know, but the Chargers have options here if he doesn't win the RG spot, it's a win win, either Trey plays better than Salyer or they get something back in trade, he's not a wasted roster spot anymore, that much is for sure...
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Thats reading something into nothing imo but that happens a lot round here. Werent you the one that said something about a top first rounder getting a fully guaranteed contract and that might screw us for Alts contract? Or was it somebody else?
        I do remember the speculation about the fully guaranteed deal that someone signed (nabers?) and how it could affect Alt's deal but I'm not certain that I was the one that started that speculation, but still it's logical to think that what someone below another draft pick got could affect what the higher up guys would demand...

now Alt is our highest paid O-lineman, I'd hope that they give Slater his extension soon, seems kind of dumb to let him play in 2024 as the third highest O-limen on our roster behind Alt and Pipkins...
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
          Salyer has a year of looking totally lost at RG. I'm sure he can think of things to do better, like everything.
          Totally agree about coaching. Much better across the board.
          OTAs speak to the coaches.
          Per Harbaugh, Pipkins is one of our 5 best OL. I don't believe he says these things loosely.
          It's not just Harbaugh, there's been a few of us here on the forum that have recognized he's been a better player the last couple of years, but others are not ready to move on from what he did in the past pre-Slater influence...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I'm not alone in thinking that he was one of the better O-linemen on the line last year, Pipkins has been a decent player for the last 2 plus years, he was never going to be elite so I'm glad they invested on having elite bookends, I thought they could've traded down and still upgraded RT without moving Alt from left to right and then used that extra first rounder on a top DB or Edge player, it's history now and I'm looking forward to seeing Alt dominate for years to come and that's something that Trey was never going to be (dominant) so they improved the line greatly by drafting Alt, I understand that it's difficult for Pipkins to live down what he did in the first 3 years of his career and also the stigma of having been drafted too early by TT as well, but the fact remains that ever since Slater showed up and took him under his wing, Trey has improved dramatically and enough to be an average/acceptable starter in the NFL...coming from where he was it's been amazing to see him turn himself into something with Rashawn's guidance and support...and yes, if he can't handle the RG transition they'll bounce him in a heartbeat, I still believe he would have trade value, such is the lack of talented players at the OT position that the chargers could still get something back for Trey Pipkins even with his 7mil cap hit, a LOT of teams around the league are desperate for OT help, what they would give up for Trey I would not even begin to speculate maybe a 2025 5th rounder? I don't know, but the Chargers have options here if he doesn't win the RG spot, it's a win win, either Trey plays better than Salyer or they get something back in trade, he's not a wasted roster spot anymore, that much is for sure...
            Here, here! Bravo. F2H, well said. People are really just still mad that TT drafted him at all, imo. He was an overdraft, 100% correct. But there’s no point screaming at the river for years if the water already went under the bridge long ago. that water ain’t coming back up river. Pipkins had a decent 2022 season. Good enough to get a decent mid-range contract. He had a less impressive 2023 but he was still nothing like some of the clowns we have rolled out to RT for the last 13 or so years. He was the 2nd best lineman on the team last year jmo and the constant cave-in of the line that crushed Herbie and prevented him from doing what he can do came from the inside. Salyer constantly failed to pick up stunts and blitzes, that had nothing to do with feet or power, he just didn’t do his job correctly. Bad coaching, bad center, bad play designs, or maybe also a bit of him too, idunno. All i know is I watched way too many plays where 3 defenders would be in the backfield and 2 or more Charger OL players were standing around with their dick in their hands. Salyer will get a chance to show what he’s got.

I’m still betting on Trey until I see a reason to bet on someone else. I’ll be watching and open to discover.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
              Alt signed! I think that only leaves Ladd left.

man-child...face looks like he's about 15 years old, LOL...but that monster sized body to go with it...seems like a great kid

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

don't think Vidal is any threat whatsoever (save for injury) to Dobbins as starter, and prolly the same can be said for Gus, albeit he could nose out Spiller perhaps ??

also am hard pressed to see Q unseat the vet Chark who has a 1k yard season under his belt.

@RG, still won't be surprised if Joe moves Pips for a pick.... if he finds a taker.... just not removed enough from earlier this offseason and Joe's seeming propensity to stockpile picks ?? still would lean Salyer as swing tackle, and which makes for a vacancy @starting RG ?? if someone becomes available that will be a better bet against the likes of a Chris Jones/Jeffrey Simmons, think Joe will take that Pipkins cap space and put it to use.... ?? if they can find a Bozeman quality starter @RG, I think we see some movement there on the depth chart.... ?? would be nice to have someone that is nails @RG, coz as of now 'tis the weak link in the line, save for Alt's development.

will also add that think Pips would prefer the monies by being picked up/traded for by a team that chooses to play him @RT, rather than getting paid guard monies ??

on defense, think we've got the bodies, and the blanks pretty much filled in for now, and.... could see Joe making a move on the IDL, @LB, CB or S if the market yields something later this offseason.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                  Yep. You build with small players, you end up with a small team.
                  That might apply if we didn't have a bunch of giants. He's one guy, plays DE/edge better than avg against competition he's faced so far. I don't care about his measurements if he gets a lot of sacks

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

overall, do think there is reason to believe there will be improvement this next season....

personally still like the left side of our Line, and also think Bozeman is gonna be a plus factor, as he regains his form as an above avg blocker in the pivot, and.... don't sleep on the Diss!y.

not gonna overlook Dobbins either, as like Bosa, will not be surprised to see him stay relatively healthy (in rotation) this season, and be a big plus to what we do on the ground, and....

can't discount Herbert.... mindset is top notch, has the support he needs, and is still on the upswing talent wise.... he's gonna be a plus factor.

along w/the addition of Harbo, do think we're gonna get some added bonus from the addition of Marcus Brady, who has a pretty stellar track record of late, and has tools to work w/here.

also like our Front 7 some, and think that Asante could have himself some moments/games working behind that Front ??

and gonna give the nod to the retaining of Ficken paying dividends, and that Derius is not gonna feel any sophmore slump and will do nothing but build on last season.

re: UDFAs, think Dent has the best chance to stick to the 53 ??

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Just got ahold of an undercover bootleg clip of Joe H building the roster this off-season …

“Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                        don't think Vidal is any threat whatsoever (save for injury) to Dobbins as starter, and prolly the same can be said for Gus, albeit he could nose out Spiller perhaps ??

also am hard pressed to see Q unseat the vet Chark who has a 1k yard season under his belt.

@RG, still won't be surprised if Joe moves Pips for a pick.... if he finds a taker.... just not removed enough from earlier this offseason and Joe's seeming propensity to stockpile picks ?? still would lean Salyer as swing tackle, and which makes for a vacancy @starting RG ?? if someone becomes available that will be a better bet against the likes of a Chris Jones/Jeffrey Simmons, think Joe will take that Pipkins cap space and put it to use.... ?? if they can find a Bozeman quality starter @RG, I think we see some movement there on the depth chart.... ?? would be nice to have someone that is nails @RG, coz as of now 'tis the weak link in the line, save for Alt's development.

will also add that think Pips would prefer the monies by being picked up/traded for by a team that chooses to play him @RT, rather than getting paid guard monies ??

on defense, think we've got the bodies, and the blanks pretty much filled in for now, and.... could see Joe making a move on the IDL, @LB, CB or S if the market yields something later this offseason.
                        I know Trader Joe likes to stockpile picks, but I doubt he deals Pip at this point...Joe and Harbo also like depth, especially O-line depth...we still have TC and preseason games to evaluate Pip's progress...

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I was sitting home with the dogs yesterday, family on a fun filled Nashville trip while I suck it up and go to work and watch dogs ... I stumbled on a Secrets of the Hells Angels marathon ... yeah ... so bad it was too good.

I no longer care about the Pipkins possible lead or not-lead or if he even can get his fucking uniform on and hit the practice field anymore. Pip, Sal, Mac, Barn, ... it was the woody wild leathercard today that threw me for a loop and now I'm completely indifferent to the battle ahead. I'm gonna have to take some time away from this topic and do a lot of sour searching, i think.
                          I can see you need a change
                          Convince Harleywood Leatherwood to attach a sidecart
                          Bring a bedroll
                          Start at the ocean
                          Climb the mountain
                          Sleep under the desert stars
                          Rob enough liquor stores to stay on the road until late August

By then the dust will settle
                          All things that were hidden... will be revealed.
                          OLineCentric

Comment

Working...
                          X