Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

That's been my guess all along.
    He's not a body mover, he's an athletic "catcher"
    and while my prediction is aging poorly at the moment, I feel confident Pip will not be starting week 1.
    Yep...I'm guessing they've been giving Pip reps at G so they can take a hard look and see if he can hack it...if not, by TC, I think he's the backup RT which I've called for, and the Bolts either sign a decent FA RG, or one of the rooks like Barnhart steps up...

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I don't think anyone was "screaming" for Pip to move to guard. Personally, I just didn't want him at RT... for a lot of the same reasons I din't want Fluker at RT. Their feet are too slow. At guard, that's no longer a problem. Pip's problem in the run game was not because he couldn't move the man in front of him. His problem was that he couldn't reach the 2nd level... again, because his feet were too slow.

We'll see what he can do at RG. He won't be asked to do too much. Combo blocks... block down... seal right/left... recognize blitz pick-ups.
      If he can't hack it... someone else will get their opportunity.

Personally, I'm rooting for Karsten Barnhart. He played so well for Harbaugh @RG during their college playoff games.
      I like Trey's chances at RG just based on who's moving him there and coaching him now, as for Barnhart, he's my pick of the UDRFAs, he's one of the guys I have pegged as having a chance to make the final roster, I don't think he's cut out to play Tackle at the NFL level so he'll have to work on learning how to play center because he played everything except center in college and you want a guy like that to be a C/G flex type of backup...worse case scenario for Barnhart IMO is the practice squad, he's going to be around one way or another, he's too good of a prospect not to stick around...I say this of course without any knowledge of any medical conditions...
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Actually, I wasn't "screaming" to kick Pip inside to G...I suggested many times that the Bolts needed to upgrade at RT (which they did with Alt) and Pip be kept as our backup RT...until his deal runs out, or until the OUT in his deal after 2024 season...I suggested at least signing a decent FA RG to compete with the rooks for that starting spot...I'm thinking the Bolts target RG in the draft next year...
        under Harbaugh O-line is always going to be a target early in the draft, I expect them to continue fortifying and building the O-line, Bozeman I think is a one year rental so center will continue to be a need next offseason and if Trey does well art guard he's still signed thru the end of the 2025 season so center would be the bigger priority in the draft...we'll see how 2024 goes, they might decide to extend Bozeman and cut Pipkins, we just don't know how it's all going to work out...

one thing is for sure tho, I can't wait to see this new look Charger team on the field...
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

A lot of randomly untethered guesses going on around here, let me correct y’all:
          • Pipkins feet are nothing like Flukers. That is a horrible comparison. PipLongStockings are much better than Flukerboats
          • Pipkins has the inside track for starting RG and is in the clear lead. It’s not locked but they are not focusing on him because they expect he’s worse. 2024 LAC coaches don’t play those games, you’re thinking of a different staff
          • Pipkins is the more athletic of the RG options. Haters gonna hate, just go back to his 2022 tape and you will see it. Fact is he played better than Salyer last year, he’s shown more in OTAs, and he worked his ass off to continue to improve.
          • Salyer is strong fave for #1 swing off the bench.
          • Barnhart ain’t coming in and beating both Pipkins and Salyer for a starting job. Ain’t happening, no way. its 50/50 he’s on the roster as deep backup
          • Sarrell sucks. I don’t care if he went to cookouts at Greg’s house and drove his kids to school, he ain’t beating out Pip or Sal, but he could survive over Barnhart. If you guys didn’t see his limited but catastrophic 2023 work, go back and watch it again. It’s also on the tape.
          I’m actually more interested to see how much Zion transformed this off season. Dude is a monster now.

Glad to hep ya fellas out … have a wonderful day
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Trey flat out sucked, nobody here wanted him gone more than I, enter Slater, Rashawn took him under his wing and molded him into something, but the one thing that folks said Pipkins could do before all of that went down was that his run blocking was the only area where he was okay...but ever since he's improved, become a starter, gotten extended the new thing I read on here is that he can't run block, LOL...not sure we are all seeing the same things on tape and to be honest none of these guys have been put in a position to showcase what they can really do in the run game in the recent past...now we'll finally get to see all of that but with Trey I've seen flashes of his run blocking and it's pretty good IMO...

all of these guys we've had over the lasts several years on the roster will show improvement in the run game, in part due to coaching and in part due to scheme but perhaps the biggest reason will be a renewed commitment from Harbuagh to emphasize and re-ignite that part of the offense which has been missing for a very long time...I might come across like a fool on here for believing in something that we haven't seen from these guys in the past but I do, I believe in Harbaugh and I've seen what he's done in other places, just like Boss Ross and Marty he gets players to play at a higher level than previous coaches did...

We've seen coaches move Tackles to Guard in the past and it either blows up in their faces or they blossom in their new role, I'm rooting for Trey to live up to what this new staff sees and wants to unlock in him...he's a good kid and he hasn't bitched at all about being moved to guard plus he has a strong work ethic, we've seen the will from the player to improve and the results of that improvement, the tools have always been there, now we get to see what real coaching does for a guy like Trey...
            I remember going back and watching Pip spot start against Denver in the 2nd to last game of the 2021 season, and he did a fine job not only in run blocking, but getting out to the 2nd level.
            I wasn't alone in noticing his performance. Staley, of course, went on and did the wrong thing, selecting Storm to be a traffic cone for Max Crosby the following fateful game.

But who are you going to believe, Boltnut or your lying eyes?

Yes, some here wanted Pip moved to guard because he was a decent run blocker and struggled in pass pro.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
              A lot of randomly untethered guesses going on around here, let me correct y’all:
              • Pipkins feet are nothing like Flukers. That is a horrible comparison. PipLongStockings are much better than Flukerboats
              • Pipkins has the inside track for starting RG and is in the clear lead. It’s not locked but they are not focusing on him because they expect he’s worse. 2024 LAC coaches don’t play those games, you’re thinking of a different staff
              • Pipkins is the more athletic of the RG options. Haters gonna hate, just go back to his 2022 tape and you will see it. Fact is he played better than Salyer last year, he’s shown more in OTAs, and he worked his ass off to continue to improve.
              • Barnhart ain’t coming in and beating both Pipkins and Salyer for a starting job. Ain’t happening, no way. its 50/50 he’s on the roster as deep backup
              • Sarrell sucks. I don’t care if he went to cookouts at Greg’s house and drove his kids to school, he ain’t beating out Pip or Sal, but he could survive over Barnhart. If you guys didn’t see his limited but catastrophic 2023 work, go back and watch it again. It’s also on the tape.
              I’m actually more interested to see how much Zion transformed this off season. Dude is a monster now.

I'm not as worried about O-line as I am about other positions like IDL, CB, LB, RB, and TE...I just think O-line is going to be one of the better areas on this football team in part because I trust that this coaching staff will put them in better situations to win but also because I can't remember a time when the Chargers invested three 1st rounders on O-line in a four year period, that and even the other guys are entering years 3-5 at a time when O-linemen tend to blossom, still young with low miles but with some experience to complete their development...I think our O-line is better than most on here make it out to be...

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Hope yer right on Pip there, Mac...and agree on Sarrell...the dude for some reason hasn't lived up to his college hype...maybe he suddenly blossoms, who knows? But we'll see...

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Hope yer right on Pip there, Mac...and agree on Sarrell...the dude for some reason hasn't lived up to his college hype...maybe he suddenly blossoms, who knows? But we'll see...
                  Sarrell was the top rated O-lineman coming out of HS, his college career was not hyped, he went undrafted because of injuries and just basically not living up to the hype he had coming out of high school...ironically I think Alex leatherwood was also in that group of top 5 offensive linemen coming out of high school the year that Foster came out, wasn't Jamaree on that list too? I don't remember now but someone here had posted it before...I can see Sarrell moving inside like Pipkins, something tells me we haven't seen the best from these players yet...but that's about to change, if these guys don't all play better collectively as a group in 2024 I'm going to be shocked as hell...

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I remember going back and watching Pip spot start against Denver in the 2nd to last game of the 2021 season, and he did a fine job not only in run blocking, but getting out to the 2nd level.
                    I wasn't alone in noticing his performance. Staley, of course, went on and did the wrong thing, selecting Storm to be a traffic cone for Max Crosby the following fateful game.

But who are you going to believe, Boltnut or your lying eyes?

Yes, some here wanted Pip moved to guard because he was a decent run blocker and struggled in pass pro.
                    Yes, Pipkins was always known for being a halfway decent run blocker...I'm not sure why the forum has started talking about him not being able to run block...

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Sarrell was the top rated O-lineman coming out of HS, his college career was not hyped, he went undrafted because of injuries and just basically not living up to the hype he had coming out of high school...ironically I think Alex leatherwood was also in that group of top 5 offensive linemen coming out of high school the year that Foster came out, wasn't Jamaree on that list too? I don't remember now but someone here had posted it before...I can see Sarrell moving inside like Pipkins, something tells me we haven't seen the best from these players yet...but that's about to change, if these guys don't all play better collectively as a group in 2024 I'm going to be shocked as hell...
                      I agree with others here,
                      if no one stands out to their satisfaction, competing for the RG position,
                      they'll simply bring in a competent vet (michael schofield redux ... but hopefully a bit better).

This coaching staff and front office will not let things fester like the last group.

I think Zion Johnson will be a better than solid LG, and Boseman will be solid .... so the issue is the position next to the rook Alt.
                      You want someone consistent and dependable there.

The Jamarie Salyer from last year, who couldn't work in tandem, pass people off or anticipate a stunt ..... not happening this year.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I agree with others here,
                        if no one stands out to their satisfaction, competing for the RG position,
                        they'll simply bring in a competent vet (michael schofield redux ... but hopefully a bit better).

This coaching staff and front office will not let things fester like the last group.

I think Zion Johnson will be a better than solid LG, and Boseman will be solid .... so the issue is the position next to the rook Alt.
                        You want someone consistent and dependable there.

The Jamarie Salyer from last year, who couldn't work in tandem, pass people off or anticipate a stunt ..... not happening this year.
                        I think it's important to remember that Trey understands how to support and help Alt from having started at RT, he knows exactly what he needs to do as a RG to help his RT...

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

I think it's important to remember that Trey understands how to support and help Alt from having started at RT, he knows exactly what he needs to do as a RG to help his RT...
                          If Pip can win that starting RG spot, that will be a definite plus...imagine Pip to Alt: "Watch out for that inside move by Maxx...it's a tell when he angles his right foot a bit more to the right..."

Comment

Working...
                          X