Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    Salyer is a competitor.
    He does not mail it in.
    Why bag on him for the way he is built ?
    It's a race to be the smartest guy in the room
    because Pipkins has been observed getting snaps at Guard.
    Pip may benefit at pass pro with Alt next to him...but...Pip never was much of a run blocker...unless he suddenly improves in this area, I'm guessing someone else ends up playing RG...we know Roman wants to get the ground game going bad, so the Bolts need to find a road-grading RG...and I'm not so sure Pip is the one...hope I'm wrong...

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Pip may benefit at pass pro with Alt next to him...but...Pip never was much of a run blocker...unless he suddenly improves in this area, I'm guessing someone else ends up playing RG...we know Roman wants to get the ground game going bad, so the Bolts need to find a road-grading RG...and I'm not so sure Pip is the one...hope I'm wrong...
      That's been my guess all along.
      He's not a body mover, he's an athletic "catcher"
      and while my prediction is aging poorly at the moment, I feel confident Pip will not be starting week 1.
      2024: Far From Over

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

I'm gonna give everyone a chance to adapt to new coaching and training.
        Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

People were screaming for Pip to move to guard,
          and now that it is about to happen, they get cold feet.

Imagine the shock here if they had moved Jammer to safety.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I don't think anyone was "screaming" for Pip to move to guard. Personally, I just didn't want him at RT... for a lot of the same reasons I din't want Fluker at RT. Their feet are too slow. At guard, that's no longer a problem. Pip's problem in the run game was not because he couldn't move the man in front of him. His problem was that he couldn't reach the 2nd level... again, because his feet were too slow.

We'll see what he can do at RG. He won't be asked to do too much. Combo blocks... block down... seal right/left... recognize blitz pick-ups.
            If he can't hack it... someone else will get their opportunity.

Personally, I'm rooting for Karsten Barnhart. He played so well for Harbaugh @RG during their college playoff games.
            OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Some ex football players and coaches down on the Chargers this year.

They don't think the Oline matches Harbaugh's be physical at the point of attack creed.
              They don't see who Herbert will go to on 3rd and 8.
              This is why I don't go down the rabbit hole... and certainly not with these guys.
              As BoltJolt pointed out... they think Corey Linsley is playing center this year. C'mon guys... do a little research.
              They don't believe the OL are maulers. They don't have to be. They just need to recognize their assignments and execute.
              Roman's blocking schemes employ a lot of combo blocks, seals, and some pulling. He asks his OT's to get to the 2nd level in the run game.
              Bozeman already understands Roman's scheme and can make the line calls and protection calls.

As far as 3rd-and-long... if we're running effectively, we won't be in 3rd-and-long that often. When it occurs... everyone seems to have forgotten that Hayden Hurst is an effective receiving target. I'll take him vs a LB almost every play. Apparently, they didn't watch JP's 2022 tape. He converted a bunch of 3rd-and-longs that season.

Dudes are sleeping... and I'm fine with that.
              OLineCentric

Comment

• northerner
                Charger fan since '79
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

great post !! with a bit of nostalgia mixed in!! i will never forget seeing Jammer to Safety whenever i logged into the chargers board.

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

2024 update: QJ to S???
                  2024: Far From Over

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

I think Sarrell goes to the practice squad: he's a one position player and hasn't been very good at it up to this point.
                    Fatso can play LT/RT and maybe RG .... perfect for a backup player.

No reason to waive Sarrell right now .... Harbaugh says that he wants competition, so why give the fat slob an open space on the roster?
                    People are reading too much into it.
                    it's not unusual for some of them to take a 2-3 years to fully develop into NFL caliber O-linemen...some of these guys just develop slower than others and don't reach their peak physical abilities until 25-27 years of age when they get all their man strength, I wouldn't dismiss Sarrell just based on what we've seen in the past because between him finally putting all of the physical aspects together he's also now getting the best coaching he's had since Roman and Hortiz signed him as an UDRFA coming out of Stanford...
                    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                      Salyer is a competitor.
                      He does not mail it in.
                      Why bag on him for the way he is built ?
                      It's a race to be the smartest guy in the room
                      because Pipkins has been observed getting snaps at Guard.
                      I guess for Salyer you make an exception (pipkins fucking sucked right?) so all that happened in 2023 on tape is just an aberration...I never said there was anything wrong with the way he's built, the way he's built is probably the reason why he's gotten away with not putting in maximum effort to get in the best shape possible, I expect more from him because there is so much potential there but I think I finally understand why he fell in the draft so much, but he's for sure built the way you want an interior O-linemen to be built, I would just like to see what his potential would be if he got in shape...his agility and his stamina would improve, nothing wrong with his strength, the guy just needs to shed like 20-25 pounds of fat and work on his diet and cardio? the only other Charger O-linemen whose been out of shape on the roster like this is Jaimes and if Jaimes was built like Salyer or had the potential that Salyer has then maybe he'd have been starting the last few years too...
                      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Trey flat out sucked, nobody here wanted him gone more than I, enter Slater, Rashawn took him under his wing and molded him into something, but the one thing that folks said Pipkins could do before all of that went down was that his run blocking was the only area where he was okay...but ever since he's improved, become a starter, gotten extended the new thing I read on here is that he can't run block, LOL...not sure we are all seeing the same things on tape and to be honest none of these guys have been put in a position to showcase what they can really do in the run game in the recent past...now we'll finally get to see all of that but with Trey I've seen flashes of his run blocking and it's pretty good IMO...

all of these guys we've had over the lasts several years on the roster will show improvement in the run game, in part due to coaching and in part due to scheme but perhaps the biggest reason will be a renewed commitment from Harbuagh to emphasize and re-ignite that part of the offense which has been missing for a very long time...I might come across like a fool on here for believing in something that we haven't seen from these guys in the past but I do, I believe in Harbaugh and I've seen what he's done in other places, just like Boss Ross and Marty he gets players to play at a higher level than previous coaches did...

We've seen coaches move Tackles to Guard in the past and it either blows up in their faces or they blossom in their new role, I'm rooting for Trey to live up to what this new staff sees and wants to unlock in him...he's a good kid and he hasn't bitched at all about being moved to guard plus he has a strong work ethic, we've seen the will from the player to improve and the results of that improvement, the tools have always been there, now we get to see what real coaching does for a guy like Trey...

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Actually, I wasn't "screaming" to kick Pip inside to G...I suggested many times that the Bolts needed to upgrade at RT (which they did with Alt) and Pip be kept as our backup RT...until his deal runs out, or until the OUT in his deal after 2024 season...I suggested at least signing a decent FA RG to compete with the rooks for that starting spot...I'm thinking the Bolts target RG in the draft next year...

Comment

Working...
                          X