• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I am good paying Slater and Alt, assuming they play like we expect. OL is key to football. I hope fans realize DL is similar, and why the top DTs are also getting superstar money now. But there are very few of those superstar DTs - it quickly falls into a commodity market below that very small top tier.

I am also good they kept the edge and ditched the WRs. Neither WR is a Chase, a Jefferson, … they just aren’t. Mack is a keeper and Joey didn’t create as much cap savings due to his contract particulars. JCJ hung over all four, that piper had to be paid. All true. I’m just not yet buying into the notion that the very top WRs are not gonna get paid or that hundreds of rookies can readily replace their talent because of some foundational change in lower level football in HS and College. Way out over the skis.

Of course the Chargers are not paying a top WR now - that doesnt mean they never will, or it remarks a league-wide complete shift. it means they don’t have to for awhile. I’m gonna wait to see what happens league-wide, I’m betting the Star WRs continue to get paid. They got paid in 2024. Maybe the $30M+ hyper market is overblown, i think it is - but they will still settle back into the top 2 or 4 positions paid, far far above RBs.
    No argument there. I just don't think it's a wise decision to over-pay WR's.
    Once you do that, it's pretty hard to build a defense (monetary-wise and draft capital-wise).

The foundations of football have always been QB's and your ability to protect them. Now, more-so than ever.
    The OT's effect the offense two-fold. Running and passing.
    Couple that with a top-10 defense... you have a chance every year.

We have a lot further to go on defense IMO. DE's and another CB is where I'd go now.
    LT and RT are taken care of (depending on Alt's success). Keep them both... begin building that defense.
    OLineCentric

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

So what is it we are supposed to be arguing about ?
      Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
        About whether or not water is wet. I say, it all depends on what you mean by 'wet'.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

About whether or not water is wet. I say, it all depends on what you mean by 'wet'.
          Hot or cold? North of the equator or south? Salt, fresh or otherwise? so many variables !!

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Yet they chose Bosa to stay. Interesting. Looks like the professionals value him more than many fans here do.

No-one else would take him off our hands and he's too expensive to cut . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Yet they chose Bosa to stay. Interesting. Looks like the professionals value him more than many fans here do.
              I'm thinking Harbo and Trader Joe's take on Bosa is something like this: Better to have a better than average pass rusher at least some of the season, with the possibility of most of the season, than NOT to have him...

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                Beef Before Gazelles
                • May 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I'm thinking Harbo and Trader Joe's take on Bosa is something like this: Better to have a better than average pass rusher at least some of the season, with the possibility of most of the season, than NOT to have him...
                Given Bosa's price tag, I would disagree.

Either they think highly, and optimistically enough about his ability to be a full contributor, or... they're stuck with a bloated contract they'd prefer to be free of. And at *his* cost? I don't see any 'middle ground' there, realistically.

Not that it's going to happen, but I wouldn't be shocked if Bosa were on a different team when Week 1 arrives. There are a variety of reasons he might not be considered a 'treasured commodity' on the Chargers.

Comment

• LarryAW
                  Chargers fan since 1970
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Chula Vista, CA
                  • retired paralegal/court reporter
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Faith they can keep him healthy.

I think these numbers are correct (going back and forth on my iPad at 0400).

$26,111,666 - Bosa’s cap number - highest on the roster (OTC)
                  $34,717,500 - KA’s cap hit had they kept him (offense currently costs $86,362,940 per OTC).

Sweat is the Bears highest paid player, and makes ~1M less than Bosa. KA is 2nd. His cost to the Bears would put him 3rd below Mack on our roster.

The Bears are paying nearly the same for their offense and defense ($123+M each). The Chargers currently have $38,129,503 more invested in the defense.

Would bet Hortiz is eagerly waiting for 1 June. The disparity in pay between the offense and defense could shrink or grow.

BTW, on the Ravens, the only person who makes more than ~$23M (Humphrey) is Lamar at $32.4M, more than KA would have cost us. Just no way.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Bigger and stronger? No doubt he will but his 29 reps in the bench press at combine was top 10 for OL. Strength is not a problem for him.
                    Kolton Miller, I've said from the beginning that Alt reminds me of him, Miller had better numbers on nearly every test from the 40 yard dash to the broad jump, but they were comparable and close, the one thing Alt did 4 more reps on the bench, same height arm length etc...for a while there we thought Miller was a bust but once he got his man strength he really blossomed and is now one of the better most consistent OTs in the league...
                    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• northerner
                      Charger fan since '79
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

it doesn't matter, we must always argue.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        JH3 and Me
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Ovaltine is not oval - this is complete bullshit!!!
                        ———
                        We watched AJ and the TT spend 20 years with semi-devotion to OL. AJ always thought he could build a line with Day 2/3s, leftovers and castoffs, TT had mixed enthusiasm where he would express its importance but never follow thru from left to right. And when he tried, too often he just wasn’t an elite scout.

The results are in - 20 years of average teams, with peaks of “almost there”. For those 20 yrs we have all discussed THE TRENCH, I’d ready to give it a real fucking try. In spite my love of all things bling, sooner or later a gal wants that ring.

But i do think special players win games too. elite skill players put up Ws too. And due to that - WRs are not turning into a commodity just yet.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Well, there are the contracts that Kevin Dotson and Landon Dickerson just signed.

Then there is the contract that Justin Jefferson and CeeDee Lamb are about to sign.

There is talk of a separate cap for QBs.

It is clear that the best WRs are very valuable if not affordable.
                          Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

Working...
                          X