• Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Oh yeah !

I like the way Hortiz astutely declared we need more speed and then went out and got Ladd & Chark. It is pleasantly surprising, considering GRo thinking.

It is frankly wonderful that the Chargers braintrust has located some horse sense moving forward.
    Because they got rid of the previous horses asses . . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• LarryAW
      Chargers fan since 1970
      • Sep 2018
      • Chula Vista, CA
      • retired paralegal/court reporter
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

They traded a 32yo WR with huge cap hit who in my opinion is showing physical decline, and they released a soon-30 yo WR that played 3 games last year, missed key playoff game year before, and is generally regarded around here as more injury prone than average, who also had a huge cap savings - in a year they were severely over the cap and had to cut from the relatively few roster players that accounted for too much cap. This year they decided to keep the edge rushers and dump the WRs. Now, I would argue edge rushers might be more important, but that doesn't prove WRs are a dime a dozen all of a sudden.

I still think folks are over-reaching a bit here in deciding the Chargers won't ever devote cap to receivers in the future based on one year where they have no available cap to devote to WRs ... Time will tell and I'm not really invested in the outcome. I'm just more amused at how easily this herd is wrangled and guided.
      100%. KA cost the Bears $23.1M. He would have cost the Chargers $34,717,500. If he cost the Chargers $23.1M, I'm sure he would still be. No would would any team have traded for KA had he added $37,717,500 to their cap.

KA's cost to the Chargers would be ~40% of what they are currently paying for the entire offense, per OTC ($86,362,940). If the Chargers add more players on offense (~$19.4M in effective salary cap space = 51 + draft picks), that percentage would go down. But, you can see how seriously out-of-whack his cost to the Chargers would have been. That is especially true with an entirely new GM, coaching staff, and offense that is hopefully not going to be reliant on one damn WR and have no running game.

I think all of the numbers are correct, but I am very human.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by LarryAW View Post

100%. KA cost the Bears $23.1M. He would have cost the Chargers $34,717,500. If he cost the Chargers $23.1M, I'm sure he would still be. No would would any team have traded for KA had he added $37,717,500 to their cap.

KA's cost to the Chargers would be ~40% of what they are currently paying for the entire offense, per OTC ($86,362,940). If the Chargers add more players on offense (~$19.4M in effective salary cap space = 51 + draft picks), that percentage would go down. But, you can see how seriously out-of-whack his cost to the Chargers would have been. That is especially true with an entirely new GM, coaching staff, and offense that is hopefully not going to be reliant on one damn WR and have no running game.

I think all of the numbers are correct, but I am very human.
        This same kind of math applies to Bosa on the defensive side of the ball . . . . . .

Comment

• FoutsFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Birmingham AL
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

This same kind of math applies to Bosa on the defensive side of the ball . . . . . .
          Yet they chose Bosa to stay. Interesting. Looks like the professionals value him more than many fans here do.

Comment

• Chargers8491
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Yet they chose Bosa to stay. Interesting. Looks like the professionals value him more than many fans here do.
            Bosa is here only because he took a pay cut. KA would still be here if he took a pay cut as well but he decided not to, so he was traded. If Bosa doesn't take the pay cut, he would have either been cut or traded as well.

Out of the 4, MW was the only one that didn't have a choice. The other 3 were given a choice. 2 decided to stay and the other chose to move on.
            Adopted Bolt: QJ

SEASON: 2024 (WK3)
            REC: 10
            YARDS: 133
            TDS: 3

Comment

• Chargers8491
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2022
              • Send PM

I think a smart 1yr signing would be Patrick Peterson CB. He is nowhere near is elite pro bowl self, but he could come in and play CB, Nickle, or maybe Safety if needed. I think he would be a solid veteran to add to this roster.
              Adopted Bolt: QJ

SEASON: 2024 (WK3)
              REC: 10
              YARDS: 133
              TDS: 3

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                Beef Before Gazelles
                • May 2021
                • Send PM

Concur.

Bosa is the lone big name guy remaining who I figured-- 5 months ago-- wouldn't be on the team, moving forward. Combination of expense, injury history, and inability to keep his shit together on the field. At some point? You cut bait. Given Bosa's expense, I was thinking that time might be, like, NOW. I'm curious to see if playing under Harbaugh brings anything different out of him.

I hoped to <place of eternal damnation of choice> that the Bolts would find a way to keep Khalil Mack. Above all the others, he was the expensive potential cap casualty that I hoped the team would find a way to hang on to. How can Mack *not* be a great mentor for Tuli?

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post
                  I think a smart 1yr signing would be Patrick Peterson CB. He is nowhere near is elite pro bowl self, but he could come in and play CB, Nickle, or maybe Safety if needed. I think he would be a solid veteran to add to this roster.
                  How cheaply do you figure he'd sign for? I'm sure Hortiz has certain financial parameters, and if Peterson could be signed within those parameters? I'm thinking Hortiz would want him.

Now, I don't know how badly-- if at all-- Peterson *wants* to be a Charger. And I don't know what some other team might be willing to pay him that's outside the Chargers' spending limits. But he's one of the few vet signings I'd be excited about.

Is it possible that the lack of offseason acquisition of IDL beef (other than Poona Ford) is an indication of confidence in the guys already on the roster?

I'm talking about guys like Otito, Okoye, Jerrod Clark, and Christopher Hinton-- the 310+ pound guys who have the capacity to be anchors in the center of the D-line.

I'd like to think that there's some legit NFL promise among those guys, but maybe that's just my inner Hacksaw, amplifying things out of proportion. <wink>

"This just in off my High Speed Sports Wire! My sources tell me that the Chargers have several Hall of Fame quality interior defensive linemen on their current roster! REACTION! EYE want to hear from EWE! Keen insight? Or utter stupidity? YOU make the call! La Mesa! Light up those lines! Ocean Beach! Light up those bongs!..."

Comment

• LarryAW
                    Chargers fan since 1970
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Chula Vista, CA
                    • Send PM

And Mack, but they did take pay cuts. No problem with KA not taking one, but that's why he is no longer here. If KA's cap hit here was "just" $23.1M, I'm sure he would still be here.

We were stuck with his $11,617,500 dead money, anyway. The $23.1M we saved is 26.7% of our (easier to type than "the Chargers") current offense. I don't want to be misleading. Pretty sure everybody was blindsided with the trade, but this roster is way better than I envisioned it was going to be before FA started.

If football was baseball:
                    Hortiz: 5 WAR (Wins Above Replacement) (hopefully)
                    Telesco: -4 WAR
                    Harbaugh: 5 WAR
                    Staley: -5 WAR

If swapping Telesco/Staley for Hortiz/Harbaugh doesn't fire you up, you no longer have a pulse.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

How cheaply do you figure he'd sign for? I'm sure Hortiz has certain financial parameters, and if Peterson could be signed within those parameters? I'm thinking Hortiz would want him.

Now, I don't know how badly-- if at all-- Peterson *wants* to be a Charger. And I don't know what some other team might be willing to pay him that's outside the Chargers' spending limits. But he's one of the few vet signings I'd be excited about.

Is it possible that the lack of offseason acquisition of IDL beef (other than Poona Ford) is an indication of confidence in the guys already on the roster?

I'm talking about guys like Otito, Okoye, Jerrod Clark, and Christopher Hinton-- the 310+ pound guys who have the capacity to be anchors in the center of the D-line.

I'd like to think that there's some legit NFL promise among those guys, but maybe that's just my inner Hacksaw, amplifying things out of proportion. <wink>

"This just in off my High Speed Sports Wire! My sources tell me that the Chargers have several Hall of Fame quality interior defensive linemen on their current roster! REACTION! EYE want to hear from EWE! Keen insight? Or utter stupidity? YOU make the call! La Mesa! Light up those lines! Ocean Beach! Light up those bongs!..."
                      I'm thinking that they anticipate using our very good pass rush (Mack, Bosa, Tuli, Dupree) to lighten the load on our IDL.
                      Beyond that, maybe some step up - or- Hortiz finds an inexpensive FA DT.

Comment

• LarryAW
                        Chargers fan since 1970
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Chula Vista, CA
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Im sure I am mising part of this conversation but Keenan as a rookie had 71 Catches for 1046 yards, 14.7 ave and 8 TDs.

Jefferson was a stud. Klein was a cheap bastard and Jefferson was sent to the wrong team.

Of his 47 career TDs, 36 are with us in 3 seasons. Never had another 1000 yard season we Klein traded him away.
                        Yes Chandler was great but sure would of been nice to see Jeffersons career play out with us. His stats would be better than Chandler's.
                        Gene Klein was a cheap MF.
                        /s/ Fred Dean

Sez You!
                        /s/ Wes Chandler

Comment

• FoutsFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Birmingham AL
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post

Bosa is here only because he took a pay cut. KA would still be here if he took a pay cut as well but he decided not to, so he was traded. If Bosa doesn't take the pay cut, he would have either been cut or traded as well.

Out of the 4, MW was the only one that didn't have a choice. The other 3 were given a choice. 2 decided to stay and the other chose to move on.
                          If Harbaugh didn't want Bosa, Bosa would have been gone, either cut or traded. They didn't keep him only because he restructured.

Comment

Working...
                          X