• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Javia
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2023
    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

I'd volunteer that Ladd has a shot @55 or so catches, albeit don't think he'll be in range of any of the other Jefferson milestones/metrics.... (14 games btw)
    McConkey averaged 3 catches per game and 14.2 yards per catch during his college career. If he can stay healthy for 17 games and continue that pace, he would finish the year with 51 catches for 724 yards. I'd say that's a fair prediction for this season.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
      John Jefferson R 1978: 56 catches-1001 yds- avg 17.9- TDs 13. I had to look. That's a tough rookie record to break. Alworth was 10- 226- 22.6- 3
      Im sure I am mising part of this conversation but Keenan as a rookie had 71 Catches for 1046 yards, 14.7 ave and 8 TDs.

Jefferson was a stud. Klein was a cheap bastard and Jefferson was sent to the wrong team.

Of his 47 career TDs, 36 are with us in 3 seasons. Never had another 1000 yard season we Klein traded him away.
      Yes Chandler was great but sure would of been nice to see Jeffersons career play out with us. His stats would be better than Chandler's.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Not if you go by the stats (Herbert played 2 more games in 2021 than 2020).

Herbert's 2020 was better in completion %, TD-interceptions ratio and passer rating behind a much worse offensive line.
        Herbert's 2021 was better in yards - per game: 294 to 289 and tds.
        Herbert throws for around 5,000 yards in 2020 if he started 17 games.
        2021 Chargers completion %

passing yards

TD

Interceptions

passer rating

2020 Chargers completion %

passing yards

TD

Interceptions

passer rating

Never really understood the arguments for saying 2021 Herbert was better than rookie year Herbert. If you actually analyze all of the factors, he was considerably better in 2020. Don't just look at yards and touchdowns. Not only was the 2020 Oline one of the worst in years with arguably the receiving corps being worse to top that off, 2021 also had an extra game added to the schedule while in 2020 Herbert started 15 games instead of the full season so of course he would have more yards, TDs and attempts in 2021.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2020
          • Send PM

I honestly get annoyed with Florio always parroting that teams should pay players before it gets too expensive. Sometimes, it's better to cut bait so you don't hamstring your team with enormous liabilities. Just look at Dak Prescott. Who thought that it was a good idea for the Cowboys to pay him long-term? To me, it seemed obvious that it was not a good idea to pay a QB who needs extensive support at skill positions (and really, everywhere) all of which you will eventually have to pay just for him to be somewhere equivalent to a Kirk Cousins. To me, it would have been better to tender him and attempt to trade him for picks but I suppose for Jerry, he had too much attachment to a QB he considered a son.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Hortiz said it would of had to be a significant offer which means .....and I think he said multiple firsts and not just say AZs or Minnesotas two this year,.. ..would of cost more with a first in 2025 at least which was said they wouldn't do.
            So yeah Offer something ridiculously in our favor then sure.... Which didn't happen.
            I'd have taken the two firsts but Alt wasn't on my radar.

But clearly their target was Alt and they weren't moving unless a team were willing to get raped and Tennessee was thinking we were going WR and they wanted Alt.

NE traded with us by just swapping picks with us and not even getting an extra pick to do it so clearly McConkey wasn't their target.

Again, when you get a call about a trade ,they always ask who you are targeting and sure you could lie but if you take their guy afterwards saying you were targeting someone else, don't expect to ever get a deal from them again and word spreads....and I'm sure we would hear about it on social media.
            Can't say I've ever heard that happening.

Now,....you said the Patriots liked Polk better than McConkey.....which is what I was saying the whole time. Our 4th for their 5th was just a minimul compensation to move back 3 spots.
            I wasn't an Alt guy either but liked the kid, I just thought he needed to get bigger and stronger and should've stayed in school another year, but if you're projected to go in the top ten why wouldn't you come out? with the 11th and 23rd pick the Chargers could've gotten Fuaga and McConkey in the first round and then instead of waiting until the top of round 4 for a DT they could've gotten Kris Jenkins in the 2nd, not trading down didn't just affect what they got in the first round, it also affected what they were able to get later, and if not Jenkins a better CB at the top of round 2 etc...I'm hoping Alt is much better than Fuaga and will trust the process...to me I look at the OTA pictures and the Alt looks thinner than the other guys, he doesn't seem to have the mass as the other O-linemen...hopefully it's just an optical illusion because he's so tall, IDK...
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              JH3 and Me
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

No doubt, WR's are still getting paid... much better than RB's.
              WR's are getting drafted earlier, too.

But also part of the data... High caliber WR's have been traded (or parts of trades)... only to be replaced with the drafting of a WR that same draft. Tyreek Hill... Stephon Diggs... Davante Adams... and now, Keenan Allen.

LAC seems to be going in a totally different direction now. If they find success this season... then they certainly can be part of a paradigm shift.
              No one talks about defense... but the top-4 defenses (Balt/KC/Buff/SF) all made deep playoff runs this year. Paradigm shift...?
              For every team trading away a top WR, there’s a team that is trading FOR a WR. That literally proves nothing.

LAC made what as of now was a one-time Team Cap reduction move. One aging WR, one constantly-hurt WR - both that had extra cap stuffed into their unique situations by the last leadership that wanted to borrow from tomorrow, and that bill was now due. we will not see that it means an eternal shift in WR appreciation for 4 or 5 years. It’s noteworthy they not just devoted their #2 pick, but traded up, to invest in WR. So their visual signal is WR is their second most valuable position after OT in the draft. And sure - if a team used their Rd1 pick every year on a WR, they likely would never need to re-sign a WR after the contract ends. Hardly proof they don’t value WR - high draft picks are also a measure of value. There were almost 10 WRs taken in the first 2 rounds - that defines value,

SF has significant offensive Cap investments. Deebo, McCaffrey, Auyuk, and Kittle eat almost $80M of team cap space I this year. Deebo is $28M cap.

For every time the world thinks there is this new “one way”, there will always be a team that does something different. Life is far too situational. I don’t get this constant impulse in TPB to proclaim new universal truths. I am just noting that there is no new universal truth about WRs this week.

Its tulip bulb hysteria, it will soon fade and a new fad will replace it.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Riverwalk
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I wasn't an Alt guy either but liked the kid, I just thought he needed to get bigger and stronger and should've stayed in school another year, but if you're projected to go in the top ten why wouldn't you come out? with the 11th and 23rd pick the Chargers could've gotten Fuaga and McConkey in the first round and then instead of waiting until the top of round 4 for a DT they could've gotten Kris Jenkins in the 2nd, not trading down didn't just affect what they got in the first round, it also affected what they were able to get later, and if not Jenkins a better CB at the top of round 2 etc...I'm hoping Alt is much better than Fuaga and will trust the process...to me I look at the OTA pictures and the Alt looks thinner than the other guys, he doesn't seem to have the mass as the other O-linemen...hopefully it's just an optical illusion because he's so tall, IDK...
                Bigger and stronger? No doubt he will but his 29 reps in the bench press at combine was top 10 for OL. Strength is not a problem for him.

Comment

• LarryAW
                  Chargers fan since 1970
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Chula Vista, CA
                  • retired paralegal/court reporter
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Exactly ......and it's what I said in the first place. So ill go back to my original response.
                  If New England wanted McConkey they wouldn't have traded with us while you said "they",....as in NE was the team interested in him.

Pretty simple. If they really liked and wanted him, swapping mid rounders isn't some terrific deal to pass him up is what I'm saying. Polk is a good player just not as fast.
                  The only thing I agree with is that the Chargers wanted Ladd more. Everything else is supposition.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Interesting quote by noted interwebby dude. But he doesn’t refute my thesis and the data is the data - WRs are still getting paid. The best remain highly coveted and paid accordingly, very much different than RBs.

Will that modulate some - tbd. Idunno. Modulate some doesn’t get them close to the RB market, which cratered. We will not in a position to have to decide this for several years, LAC will not be the franchise to watch on this question.

Go ahead and ignore all other franchises in the meantime because hey - LAC didn’t sign a $20M receiver so it must be a universal truth, right?
                    I guess the salary cap has the most to do with this. The teams that can afford a big second deal for their wideouts will pay them, as long as the WR doesn't demand too much. Having said that, it seems to me there's always a glut of decent wideouts in drafts in general...and this year some really good ones fell to the late rounds like Rice and Johnson...

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Nicely put, brother.

He's 20 years old, and isn't rocked up like some guys. Looks a little Pillsbury Doughboy-ish. Anyone who thinks he's a 'soft player', though, is mistaken.

With an NFL workout program, he will probably look considerably different in two years. Pffft! He's not finished growing!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

"Interwebby guy" Bucky Brooks...

Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Agents probably lighting up Bucky's cell phone now.

Comment

Working...
                          X