• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

'23 was 5- 12. (shudder) I'm confident that the '24 coaching staff could have taken the '23 players to 10+ wins.

10 Ws this year is the floor IMO. I expect better.
    same, I have high expectations too and why not? we have a coach that has done this everywhere else he's gone and it's not like we don't have one of the top QBs in the NFL...the defense will be better, the running game will be better, and the passing game still has Justin Herbert back there making decisions...
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Can’t wait for this to be open. Hopefully it does what it needs to and keep our players healthy.

Comment

• LarryAW
        Chargers fan since 1970
        • Sep 2018
        • Chula Vista, CA
        • retired paralegal/court reporter
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Hortiz said it would of had to be a significant offer which means .....and I think he said multiple firsts and not just say AZs or Minnesotas two this year,.. ..would of cost more with a first in 2025 at least which was said they wouldn't do.
        So yeah Offer something ridiculously in our favor then sure.... Which didn't happen.
        I'd have taken the two firsts but Alt wasn't on my radar.

But clearly their target was Alt and they weren't moving unless a team were willing to get raped and Tennessee was thinking we were going WR and they wanted Alt.

NE traded with us by just swapping picks with us and not even getting an extra pick to do it so clearly McConkey wasn't their target.

Again, when you get a call about a trade ,they always ask who you are targeting and sure you could lie but if you take their guy afterwards saying you were targeting someone else, don't expect to ever get a deal from them again and word spreads....and I'm sure we would hear about it on social media.
        Can't say I've ever heard that happening.

Now,....you said the Patriots liked Polk better than McConkey.....which is what I was saying the whole time. Our 4th for their 5th was just a minimul compensation to move back 3 spots.
        I didn't say that. For all I know they had them graded the same.

Patriots: WR Polk & 4th > WR McConkey & 5th

Chargers: WR McConkey & 5th > WR Polk & 4th

That is what we know. Everything else is just supposition.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by LarryAW View Post

The only thing we know is that the Patriots liked Polk, and our 4th round pick, more than Ladd and keeping their 5th round pick. The Chargers clearly wanted Ladd more than any-remaining WR.

The Chargers preferred Alt to any other OT, but if some team had offered enough compensation, they would have traded down and likely drafted another OT. You certainly can't say they would have preferred that OT to Alt. They would have preferred the overall compensation to just Alt. You can bet the Cardinals would have traded out of #4 had enough compensation been offered.
          IMO, Polk is next group up in the draft, Ladd is a fallen first rounder and a target of a wide receiver needy team. Is Polk any better than Rice in the 7th? I wanted a WR early, but Polk did not interest me in the least.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Herb had a better Year 2 under Staley than he had Year 1 under Anthony Lynn.

A bit scapegoat-y to single out Asante, when EVERYthing that Staley touched on defense turned to shit.

I thought Slater's first two years were high quality. Then in his third year, he played with injuries on a clusterfuque of an O-line. With the upgrades in talent around him and a new offensive philosophy that involves ramming the ball down opponents' throats (instead of putting o-linemen in pass protection 3 downs out of four, where they absorb a beating, instead of delivering one) I fully expect Rashawn to be FINE.

I'll be interested to see whether Kenneth Murray prospers in his new situation with the Titans where, presumably, he was signed because his strengths match the defense they operate.
            Asante had one of the better games I’ve ever seen in that playoff loss. He was a star in that game. Unfortunately ….
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Hortiz said it would of had to be a significant offer which means .....and I think he said multiple firsts and not just say AZs or Minnesotas two this year,.. ..would of cost more with a first in 2025 at least which was said they wouldn't do.
              So yeah Offer something ridiculously in our favor then sure.... Which didn't happen.
              I'd have taken the two firsts but Alt wasn't on my radar.

But clearly their target was Alt and they weren't moving unless a team were willing to get raped and Tennessee was thinking we were going WR and they wanted Alt.

NE traded with us by just swapping picks with us and not even getting an extra pick to do it so clearly McConkey wasn't their target.

Again, when you get a call about a trade ,they always ask who you are targeting and sure you could lie but if you take their guy afterwards saying you were targeting someone else, don't expect to ever get a deal from them again and word spreads....and I'm sure we would hear about it on social media.
              Can't say I've ever heard that happening.

Now,....you said the Patriots liked Polk better than McConkey.....which is what I was saying the whole time. Our 4th for their 5th was just a minimul compensation to move back 3 spots.
              This is the first I'm hearing about this. Is this a known thing? It seems that it would put the team trading up at a disadvantage.

OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by LarryAW View Post

I didn't say that. For all I know they had them graded the same.

Patriots: WR Polk & 4th > WR McConkey & 5th

Chargers: WR McConkey & 5th > WR Polk & 4th

That is what we know. Everything else is just supposition.
                Exactly ......and it's what I said in the first place. So ill go back to my original response.
                If New England wanted McConkey they wouldn't have traded with us while you said "they",....as in NE was the team interested in him.

Pretty simple. If they really liked and wanted him, swapping mid rounders isn't some terrific deal to pass him up is what I'm saying. Polk is a good player just not as fast.
                Last edited by Boltjolt; 05-27-2024, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Interesting quote by noted interwebby dude. But he doesn’t refute my thesis and the data is the data - WRs are still getting paid. The best remain highly coveted and paid accordingly, very much different than RBs.

Will that modulate some - tbd. Idunno. Modulate some doesn’t get them close to the RB market, which cratered. We will not in a position to have to decide this for several years, LAC will not be the franchise to watch on this question.

Go ahead and ignore all other franchises in the meantime because hey - LAC didn’t sign a $20M receiver so it must be a universal truth, right?
                  No doubt, WR's are still getting paid... much better than RB's.
                  WR's are getting drafted earlier, too.

But also part of the data... High caliber WR's have been traded (or parts of trades)... only to be replaced with the drafting of a WR that same draft. Tyreek Hill... Stephon Diggs... Davante Adams... and now, Keenan Allen.

LAC seems to be going in a totally different direction now. If they find success this season... then they certainly can be part of a paradigm shift.
                  No one talks about defense... but the top-4 defenses (Balt/KC/Buff/SF) all made deep playoff runs this year. Paradigm shift...?

OLineCentric

Comment

• Charge!
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

No doubt, WR's are still getting paid... much better than RB's.
                    WR's are getting drafted earlier, too.

But also part of the data... High caliber WR's have been traded (or parts of trades)... only to be replaced with the drafting of a WR that same draft. Tyreek Hill... Stephon Diggs... Davante Adams... and now, Keenan Allen.

LAC seems to be going in a totally different direction now. If they find success this season... then they certainly can be part of a paradigm shift.
                    No one talks about defense... but the top-4 defenses (Balt/KC/Buff/SF) all made deep playoff runs this year. Paradigm shift...?
                    agree.... WR's have been way too over valued!...

KC and NE have proven that having an "elite" diva WR is not needed to win SB's.... those 2 teams have won several SB's without great #1 WR's.... most of teams with the top, most expensive WR's dont do anything in playoffs and dont win SB's.....

If Chargers had drafted one of the top 3 WR's in theis past draft, we would have had to trade them after year 4 or cut them after year 5, because no team with a great (expensive) QB can afford those WR's who will be earning 50 million/yr by their 4th/5th year.....

that is why we drafted the top OT, Alt over a WR.... we can afford to keepo Alt here ...... Bowers was likely the 2nd choice if Alt was not available....Amazing how harbaugh kept comparing Ladd to Bowers, in how they were tough elite playmakers,,,

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                      John Jefferson R 1978: 56 catches-1001 yds- avg 17.9- TDs 13. I had to look. That's a tough rookie record to break. Alworth was 10- 226- 22.6- 3
                      I'd volunteer that Ladd has a shot @55 or so catches, albeit don't think he'll be in range of any of the other Jefferson milestones/metrics.... (14 games btw)

Comment

• Jack Burton
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2023
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

IMO, Polk is next group up in the draft, Ladd is a fallen first rounder and a target of a wide receiver needy team. Is Polk any better than Rice in the 7th? I wanted a WR early, but Polk did not interest me in the least.
                        Polk is really good, man. I’d put him as a late 1st in any other draft. He’s a #1 WR.
                        NE got 2 really good receivers in this draft.

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/Chargers/comments/1d2aqbr/looks_like_harbaugh_recruited_fourstar_rb_isaiah/?share_id=COZ38-ZJy5uoFJvnZY0C0&utm_content=1&utm_medium=android_a pp&utm_name=androidcss&utm_source=share&utm_term= 4

For those of you counting out Isiah Spiller early, consider this:
                          Jim recruited him to Michigan.
                          Just saying, he's a Jim guy too.
                          2024: Far From Over

Comment

Working...
                          X