• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Nobody but me is ready to proclaim it. I completely understand that, fully accept that difference. Can't blame anyone. But I can see into the future on this one

good analysis - I think worries about our WR group are wrong. Better OL is going to let all of them develop routes more. Ladd is a special quick-open guy, in that sense he "replaces" Slayer but he's actually a LOT faster so we will find him short, intermediate, and long on occasion. He will ge a lot more YAC, hence "better" than Slayer in that regard.

QJ2 ran bad routes, that was his bigger 2023 flaw. He didn't change speed or cadence to throw off DBs, was sloppy in turns, and he telegraphed where he was going to turn - there was a lot unprofessional about his route running that made him far too easy for smart pro CBs to cover. He spent the off season primarily working on exactly these required pro techniques. I won't say he didn't also work on hands because he did, but he was not blind to think just "hands" would elevate his game. I am very excited to see the New Q. He is going to make a bigger jump than the world expects.

Josh is sneaky good as a 2 or 3, he just can't carry a team as a 1. We need 2s and 3s, he's a solid part of the starting group but I expect one of the 2024 fresh faces replaces him when its time for him to have a real contract. Rice, Johnson, or who knows if one of the UDFAs is a magic find. One of those guys will be Palmer 2025.

Chark is a solid add, another fast receiver. This group got a lot faster this off-season with Ladd, Chark, Johnson.
    ^ This...look, I like Palmer, but is Trader Joe gonna shell out megabucks for a monster second deal for him? I don't think so, not for a wideout. Trader Joe's M.O. is to let potentially high-priced re-signs go at the end of their deal, and reap a nice comp pick. Or just release them, if the numbers don't pencil out. Or trade them for picks. He just showed this by letting Slayer, Mike Will and Ekkie go. Also, there is always a glut of wideouts and RB's in the draft and FA, so they are fairly easily replaceable. However, O-line and D-line are different, unless they're asking for bank bucks. That's why he kept both Mack and Bosa, even when a lot of us were pounding the table to cut them loose. Even Pip is still around. I would say when Tuli is due his next contract, Trader Joe will pay, unless Tuli demands megabank. But he will probably let someone like Palmer hit FA for a comp pick...
    Last edited by Topcat; 05-24-2024, 12:02 PM.

Comment

• Chargers8491
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
      I wished there was a way for Popper to review film from previous years and not just 2023 to see if Bozeman did much better.

IMHO, using film good or bad in Carolina is not fair. Bozeman is a much better OC than people give him credit for. Carolina's offense was horrible last year and there were several times he made calls on the oline that were totally blown. IMHO, he is way underrated, but we will see how he does in this offense.
      1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
      2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
      2b- #37 Jenkins DT
      3a- #66 Puni OT
      3b- #69 Sainristill CB
      4a- #105 Rice WR
      4b- #110 Lloyd RB
      5- #140 Green CB
      6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

^ This...look, I like Palmer, but is Trader Joe gonna shell out megabucks for a monster second deal for him? I don't think so, not for a wideout. Trader Joe's M.O. is to let wideouts and RB's go at the end of their deal, and reap a nice comp pick. Or just release them, if the numbers don't pencil out. He just showed this by letting Slayer, Mike Will and Ekkie go. There is always a glut of wideouts and RB's in the draft and FA, so they are fairly easily replaceable. However, O-line and D-line are different. That's why he kept both Mack and Bosa, even when a lot of us were pounding the table to cut them loose. Even Pip is still around. I would say when Tuli is due his next contract, Trader Joe will pay. But he will probably let someone like Palmer hit FA for a comp pick...
        This is consistent with the 'Line Of Scrimmage' theme we've been hearing from coaching and management all offseason . . . . . . . . . . Although I suspect if JP was truly a special receiver Joe would find a way to pay him. Unfortunately he's an average #2; good, but as you note - replaceable . . . . . . . and I agree - his replacement is already on the team.

Comment

• Chargers8491
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2022
          • Send PM

^ This...look, I like Palmer, but is Trader Joe gonna shell out megabucks for a monster second deal for him? I don't think so, not for a wideout. Trader Joe's M.O. is to let wideouts and RB's go at the end of their deal, and reap a nice comp pick. Or just release them, if the numbers don't pencil out. He just showed this by letting Slayer, Mike Will and Ekkie go. There is always a glut of wideouts and RB's in the draft and FA, so they are fairly easily replaceable. However, O-line and D-line are different. That's why he kept both Mack and Bosa, even when a lot of us were pounding the table to cut them loose. Even Pip is still around. I would say when Tuli is due his next contract, Trader Joe will pay. But he will probably let someone like Palmer hit FA for a comp pick...
          IMHO, Trader Joe is going to let him walk and collect a nice comp pick. If Palmer has a good year he is going to command somewhere near $20m/year when he becomes a FA. I can't see Hortiz paying that kind of money for WR especially if Ladd, QJ, and one of Rice/CJ has a good year this year.
          1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
          2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
          2b- #37 Jenkins DT
          3a- #66 Puni OT
          3b- #69 Sainristill CB
          4a- #105 Rice WR
          4b- #110 Lloyd RB
          5- #140 Green CB
          6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post

Yeah, I totally get it. Need to see what he does during the season before anointing him. Not going to argue with KA's receptions because he was a reception machine and Ladd has big shoes to fill in that regard. The reason I'm saying at this stage he is an upgrade is because like I said Ladd has more explosives and is faster than KA at this stage. Too many times we saw KA go down on first contact. While KA's route running is more polished, Ladd as the opportunity to be just as good of a route runner than KA. Chemistry and health is going to be a key for Ladd this year. IMHO, Ladd and Vidal have an outstanding chance to be OROY this year. It's going to be a fun battle to watch.
            Like any rookie WR, his ability to get off the LOS will be a challenge. If he lines up in the slot (most likely) he could get that extra space... which will benefit him.

Defenders rarely challenged KA with a jam @the LOS... because he was an ace at defeating the jam and had them out of position with his initial footwork. KA was exceptional at setting up defenders with his first step. No wasted movements in KA's routes. Every step in his route had a purpose. Professional killer.
            OLineCentric

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

IMHO, using film good or bad in Carolina is not fair. Bozeman is a much better OC than people give him credit for. Carolina's offense was horrible last year and there were several times he made calls on the oline that were totally blown. IMHO, he is way underrated, but we will see how he does in this offense.
              Which is why I wished there was a way for Popper to access previous years especially when Bozeman played under Roman in Baltimore.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

^ This...look, I like Palmer, but is Trader Joe gonna shell out megabucks for a monster second deal for him? I don't think so, not for a wideout. Trader Joe's M.O. is to let potentially high-priced re-signs go at the end of their deal, and reap a nice comp pick. Or just release them, if the numbers don't pencil out. Or trade them for picks. He just showed this by letting Slayer, Mike Will and Ekkie go. Also, there is always a glut of wideouts and RB's in the draft and FA, so they are fairly easily replaceable. However, O-line and D-line are different, unless they're asking for bank bucks. That's why he kept both Mack and Bosa, even when a lot of us were pounding the table to cut them loose. Even Pip is still around. I would say when Tuli is due his next contract, Trader Joe will pay, unless Tuli demands megabank. But he will probably let someone like Palmer hit FA for a comp pick...
                First of all, this offense will be OL-centric, balanced, and every WR will feed (Jim's words). I don't see any WR having a stellar statistical year. From WR1 to TE... I see them all getting 45-70 receptions. I see JP as being very effective in this offense... but not a star. I doubt he commands a big payday at year's end. If he commands more than $6m... Joe probably lets him walk.

IIRC, both Joe and Jim said they expect more and more college WR's coming out of college to be pro-ready year after year... into the future. The college game affords opportunities (along with the growing number of WR camps... even at HS level) to develop their skillsets earlier than before.

With both of these philosophies in place, I expect WR's to come and go... frequently being replaced in the draft's 2nd and 3rd rounds. Will the WR's follow the RB trend...? Is devaluation on the horizon (at least @LAC)...?
                Last edited by Boltnut; 05-24-2024, 01:28 PM.
                OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Which is why I wished there was a way for Popper to access previous years especially when Bozeman played under Roman in Baltimore.
                  PFF gave him a 73 rating in 2021. Believe it or not, someone put together a 2021 Bradley Bozeman Highlight clip...
                  What a pleasant surprise. The Carolina Panthers were able to pull off a 1-year deal with veteran guard/center (and Former Raven), Bradley Bozeman. With the p...

The best thing about Bozeman IMO is that he knows the line-calls already.
                  OLineCentric

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

PFF gave him a 73 rating in 2021. Believe it or not, someone put together a 2021 Bradley Bozeman Highlight clip...
                    What a pleasant surprise. The Carolina Panthers were able to pull off a 1-year deal with veteran guard/center (and Former Raven), Bradley Bozeman. With the p...

The best thing about Bozeman IMO is that he knows the line-calls already.
                    Thanks man! I’ll have to take a look at this later. Any other thoughts on Bozeman? Also should we have gotten another C/G in the draft like Nourzad?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Yeah, I totally get it. Need to see what he does during the season before anointing him. Not going to argue with KA's receptions because he was a reception machine and Ladd has big shoes to fill in that regard. The reason I'm saying at this stage he is an upgrade is because like I said Ladd has more explosives and is faster than KA at this stage. Too many times we saw KA go down on first contact. While KA's route running is more polished, Ladd as the opportunity to be just as good of a route runner than KA. Chemistry and health is going to be a key for Ladd this year. IMHO, Ladd and Vidal have an outstanding chance to be OROY this year. It's going to be a fun battle to watch.
                      KA has a shot at HOF, he's been that good. So I don't really care about the is or isnt debate, it doesnt matter.

KA has in fact lost a step from his very best days. he gets less separation, minimal YAC. Herbert went to him constantly last year, over-relied on him in fact. I don't care and actually hope he has more options to spread it around a lot more this year and Ladd has a lot less. What I care about is can the Chargers do anything consistently when they get inside the 20 and can they move the ball if the really must move it to win.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Thanks man! I’ll have to take a look at this later. Any other thoughts on Bozeman? Also should we have gotten another C/G in the draft like Nourzad?
                        Re: Bozeman... Carolina ran a scheme (heavy zone) that was not conducive to Bozeman's style (power/gap).

I wanted another OG to compete @RG. Maybe Pipkins is the answer...? Maybe Salyer is better in Year2 (with a quality RT next to him)...? The FA OL Karson Barnhart was from Michigan. His block was pivotable in Corum's OT TD scamper vs Alabama in the Rose Bowl.

OLineCentric

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Like any rookie WR, his ability to get off the LOS will be a challenge. If he lines up in the slot (most likely) he could get that extra space... which will benefit him.

Defenders rarely challenged KA with a jam @the LOS... because he was an ace at defeating the jam and had them out of position with his initial footwork. KA was exceptional at setting up defenders with his first step. No wasted movements in KA's routes. Every step in his route had a purpose. Professional killer.
                          KA is also much bigger and stronger than people think . . . . . . . . he has exceptional body control and footwork, plus the size. I remember being shocked at how big he was when I saw him in-person at a game at SOFI . . . . . .

Comment

Working...
                          X