Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Just a freak thing. Zion was at RG but that hit wasnt directly on Herbs ribs. Looks like maybe he maybe landed on the guys helmet when falling back. Means nothing about Zions ability to play OC. All i know is Slater had good things to say about McFadden being in there and then JH says he thinks he has some OC traits. McFadden is only 6'2" so maybe that is best for him to help stay low with the NTs that are shorter.....idk.

It's rare when Zion misses a block but when he does, it has been costly, but ya Herb landed on a helmet which looks to be the actual cause of the injury.
    I just personally think he would make an awesome center and a switch would minimize his weaknesses, something I hope coaches consider.

Btw, iirc Slater had prise for McFadden but it wasn't for OC, it was when he filled in at LG. I'm almost positive about that.
    2024: Far From Over

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

He will go 13-20 and Harbaugh will take him!
      thats gonna be a pretty big trade-up jump from 32 to 13. Joe better stock up on comps ...
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I view guards as being more of a power position and tackles being more of a fleet of foot position, but that’s just me. And you maximize your line by getting guys built for their specific position not just putting an available guy there.
        Same here.
        That's why Pip the athlete makes sense to me to keep outside.
        2024: Far From Over

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
          Edge depth would be better than getting another FA WR IMO.

Great job Hortiz. Keep mining the FA ranks for cheaper, proven quality depth.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperChargedRodney37 View Post

I'm not fearful of McFadden because of the coaches (Harbaugh,Devlin,Hardwick) traits that he fits. Smart, Intelligent, Athletic and Agile. In fact, I'm more encouraged about the progress they have seen in him because they didn't even address that position in the draft like many assumed they would.

Maybe you are but the term "Mauler" was used more by the media to describe an assumed Harbaugh "type" more so than what Harbaugh was actually saying.
            I don't see them running the same Baltimore Raven Greg Roman ground and pound offense in the 2024 AFC because I don't believe that offense will be able to consistently score the 25ppg week in and week out to ensure a consistent playoff contenting team. The AFC is absolutely loaded at QB & Offensive playmakers, couple that with the offensive favorable rule changes. Not to mention the current Dynasty in the division who just added playmakers with speed and are hopeful they finally found their Tyreke Hill replacement they have been searching for in Xavier Worthy.

Remember Joe Alt is not a "Mauler" but is an uber-athletic tackle for his size. He really reminds me of two athletic tackles New England had in 2012-2015 which was the start of the Dynasty run part 2. Those two were 6'8" & 6'9" bookend tackles Sebastian Vollmer and the Ex Colorado-TE converted to Tackle Nate Solder. Both were Big, Athletic, Agile and tested very similar to Alt at their respective combines.

Coach mentioned in his presser regarding the Alt pick that his size, agility & "Athleticism" was a key factor in their attraction for him. I have sensed a theme this offseason with regards to the line they want to build, and the word "Athleticism" has been brought up a lot more than "Mauler" by the coaches.

He emphasized Athleticism with Alt
            He emphasized Athleticism with McFadden
            He emphasized Athleticism with Pipkins.

That's why I'm reluctant to just write off the Pipkins comments as just simply "coach speak" because Pipkins is a "Big" & "Athletic" lineman.

I think they are looking for more size, athleticism, & agility more so than just big mauler types who can't move well.
            He wants effective consistent execution. I never heard him use the term mauler either. Perhaps his years of coaching and the growing wisdom has led him to believe that more consistent execution delivered by an "athletic" OL players brings better team results than a mauler who pancakes his assignment one play flat but also misses / doesn't get to the assignment as often as the more athletic OT.

its 100% clear they took the longest most athletic OT in the draft, not the mauliest mauler.

I don't see them running the BAL offense because that offense had a young (relatively) inaccurate Jackson who was an elite runner and we have the highly accurate Golden God who while able to run from the pocket at times, is not the elusive RB-type runner that Jackson is. Completely different skillsets.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I view guards as being more of a power position and tackles being more of a fleet of foot position, but that’s just me. And you maximize your line by getting guys built for their specific position not just putting an available guy there.
              It all depends. But I will say that there’s a reason more OL guys who can’t play tackle get moved to guard versus the other way around.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

If they sign Dupree and add him to Mack, Bosa and Tuli, the pass rush from the edge is going to be monstrous (assuming Bosa doesn't suffer his annual season-ending injury).

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                  If they sign Dupree and add him to Mack, Bosa and Tuli, the pass rush from the edge is going to be monstrous (assuming Bosa doesn't suffer his annual season-ending injury).
                  (regrets if already posted)

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Zion is learning LG still. move him and we have a newby at LG. I'm all for letting him seek redemption at LG. Train up McFadden as backup C/ OG.
                    LG is where he played the most. He played LG in college then as a rookie, they moved him to RG and then back to LG last season. Developing as a NFL player perhaps,...... but he has plenty of experience at LG.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

It's rare when Zion misses a block but when he does, it has been costly, but ya Herb landed on a helmet which looks to be the actual cause of the injury.
                      I just personally think he would make an awesome center and a switch would minimize his weaknesses, something I hope coaches consider.

Btw, iirc Slater had prise for McFadden but it wasn't for OC, it was when he filled in at LG. I'm almost positive about that.
                      Yes, You are right, it was at OG. Harbaugh is the one who says he likes his traits for OC....which perhaps comes from Devlin 🤷

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

LG is where he played the most. He played LG in college then as a rookie, they moved him to RG and then back to LG last season. Developing as a NFL player perhaps,...... but he has plenty of experience at LG.
                        What is the consensus opinion on the starting OL?

LT Slater
                        LG Zion
                        C Bozeman (or is Linsley gonna play this year?)
                        RG Pipkins
                        RT Alt, aka Maxx Crosby's daddy

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

What is the consensus opinion on the starting OL?

LT Slater
                          LG Zion
                          C Bozeman (or is Linsley gonna play this year?)
                          RG Pipkins
                          RT Alt, aka Maxx Crosby's daddy
                          yep - that is my guess as of today.

Comment

Working...
                          X