• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post
    Kinda crazy how the Chargers went from having 4 WRs on the depth chart pre-draft to now having 11. They will likely carry 6 WRs with DD being KR/PR. I can't see them cutting DD after the year he was voted by the players as the best returner in the league and I can't see them risking Ladd as a returner. Makes no since.
    A bit of a head scratcher...I guess the Bolts are willing to risk putting a few of those wideouts on the PS, or cutting 1-2...I thought FS and another corner were bigger needs...maybe we'll still see some action there...

Comment

• SuperChargedRodney37
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2024
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Again, all good points, but there is a huge difference between OTs and OGs in general, and moreso when you bring in a Greg Roman to coordinate your offense.
      You need both athleticism and power and maybe Ben Herbert can help our guys with the later.
      The biggest positive from the Alt pick imho is opening up both sides of the field to keep defenses honest. Having Pip at ORT really limited what we could run on the right side.
      (This was the biggest selling point for me from the Pro-Alt peeps here early on, respect.)
      So yes, we need guards on both sides that can both "down block" and "pull" on Power.
      Pip is athletic enough to pull sure, but can he down-block a 3tech?
      I honestly don't know. his height isn't an advantage here unless he understands leverage.
      and considering it took him so long to learn how to play OT, I'm just not sold today that he's going to slide right in at ORG.
      my main message is that tackles are not guards, give me 10 guards vs 10 tackles in a bar brawl and I'll take the guards all day.

Now with Salyer, he's limited athletically, but has requisite athleticism to survive at OLT and the power to down-block iDL.
      He understands positioning and leverage and timing. I say this confidently because I've seen it.
      He didn't play RG well last year but this run-game scheme and being sandwiched between Bozeman and Alt will help him tremendously.
      I think G-Ro will fall in love with Salyer and unless we pick-up a vet, will get another chance at RG.
      Good morning and thank you for the conversation.
      Salyer remaining the starter would be fine by me. I'm indifferent on Pipkins but am always open to looking at things through the possible prism of the organization and not just the emotional fan side.

I will say however, that I like the approach of Athleticism & Agility within this O-Line. I say that because if it was me, I wouldn't build this line with the sole purpose of trying to fit each lineman into what Greg Roman would prefer as a run first mauling line.
      **This is just my opinion here and I could be 1000% wrong on this**
      My reasoning for that is I just don't see Greg Roman being the OC here by the start of the 2026 season if Coach plans to be a consistent contender in the AFC by then. If fact, it really wouldn't surprise me if the team has a new more innovative play caller by 2025 with Greg Roman being the Run game consultant. The AFC is really loaded with offensive talent at QB & offensive playmakers. The teams the Chargers have to go through to become a successful contender are not going to be consistently stopped by just playing keep away and relying on defense. This team will need to put up points consistently in the mid to upper 20's to have sustained success in my opinion.
      **Chargers have dropped the last 3 years consecutively in their overall points per game from: **
      27.9 in 21' to
      23.4 in 22' to
      20.4 in 23'
      This is not a good trend, even if you account for injuries, this offensive as it stands now is severely lacking the playmakers it has had in the previous seasons.

This was the only reservation I had with bringing in Coach because out of the 1000 positives the one negative is he's stubborn (like all great coaches are) and he was in college for a while and the NFL he left is not the same NFL he's returning to. He can ask Bill Belichick and Rex Ryan about that Ground & Pound Keep away with Defensive first mentality. It's outdated now.

Again, I could be 1000% wrong and I will be the first to stand up be accountable and admit it.

Lastly,
      Just to be fair to Greg Roman. Here's the Baltimore offensive PPG during his tenure as OC from 2019-2022
      31.9 in 19'
      27.3 in 20'
      22.8 in 21'
      20.4 in 22'

So of course, the health of Lamar had something to do with this, but the trend is noticeable.
      **This is why, I believe Hortiz and DeCosta addressed a "Certain Position" in the 1st round in 3 of those 5 years. **

For comparison. Monken's first year as Baltimore OC in 2023, the point total was back up to 27.7 ppg.

Last edited by SuperChargedRodney37; 05-09-2024, 09:43 AM.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Kinda crazy how the Chargers went from having 4 WRs on the depth chart pre-draft to now having 11. They will likely carry 6 WRs with DD being KR/PR. I can't see them cutting DD after the year he was voted by the players as the best returner in the league and I can't see them risking Ladd as a returner. Makes no since.
        6 WR including DD sounds right. I saw a vid of a deep pass in practice to DD. About time!

Ladd would be a backup PR/ KR IMO.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Good call on the Dissly role, that could definitely have an impact on how they see Oline needs.
          Lots of exciting combo possibilities.
          I also don't think Salyer is experienced enough to support Alt but currently I do not have faith in the Pip to RG idea.
          McFadden to OC scares me too.

Maybe I'm putting too much emphasis on somatotypes and raw strength but in G-Ro blocking scheme, he needs maulers.
          I'll be happy to wait and see what Ben Herbo can do.
          Zion is the best OC prospect I've seen for this offense imo but may be a luxury at this point. We can't keep changing his position.

We're about to see some serious OL competition and coaching this summer.
          Based on what? He hasnt played any OC for us and only ever played there for a short time in Senior Bowl practices. IDK how much McFadden has played at OC but he was the guy mentioned for it, not Zion.

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Pip is going to be the RG. Harbaugh already said he is one of the top 5 oline so0n after he said Slater was locked in at LT.

LT- Slater
            LG- Johnson
            C- Bozemen
            RG- Pip
            RT- Alt

Harbaugh spoke well of Allen, while he was here.
            Most of Jim comments are in the now present moment.
            So while Pipkins is here and clearly lost his job to Alt, Jim kindly and cunningly says in the moment one of best 5. Well doesn't that mean Sayler will say Not my job at RG. I'm best 5. Jim knows it does. ​​​​​ Competition is welcome.
            And Encouraged.
            Best 5. BPAs team. Best 53.
            Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Edge depth would be better than getting another FA WR IMO.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Harbaugh spoke well of Allen, while he was here.
                Most of Jim comments are in the now present moment.
                So while Pipkins is here and clearly lost his job to Alt, Jim kindly and cunningly says in the moment one of best 5. Well doesn't that mean Sayler will say Not my job at RG. I'm best 5. Jim knows it does. ​​​​ Competition is welcome.
                And Encouraged.
                Best 5. BPAs team. Best 53.
                Salyer can totally keep his RG job if he’s up to it.

But if you go by Jim’s in the moment quotes, he was higher on Pip than he was Salyer. He basically commented more on Salyer’s versatility during the owner’s meeting than anything else.

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Based on what? He hasnt played any OC for us and only ever played there for a short time in Senior Bowl practices. IDK how much McFadden has played at OC but he was the guy mentioned for it, not Zion.
                  I realize it's a long shot but I'm basing it off what I see.
                  I'm no nutty, but when I see Zion, I see:

Intelligence and power are his strengths, he is effective against the Chris Jones in the league but his weaknesses are exposed when dealing with more athletic interior rushers, specifically to his left.
                  I think he can be a good guard because hes shown it but I think he would dominate at OC because he would be able to use his brain to lead the OL in protection schemes and use his power to neutralize 0 to 1 techs.
                  the further out you put him, the less effective he is, just ask Justin Herbert's ribs.
                  2024: Far From Over

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperChargedRodney37 View Post

Good morning and thank you for the conversation.
                    Salyer remaining the starter would be fine by me. I'm indifferent on Pipkins but am always open to looking at things through the possible prism of the organization and not just the emotional fan side.

I will say however, that I like the approach of Athleticism & Agility within this O-Line. I say that because if it was me, I wouldn't build this line with the sole purpose of trying to fit each lineman into what Greg Roman would prefer as a run first mauling line.
                    **This is just my opinion here and I could be 1000% wrong on this**
                    My reasoning for that is I just don't see Greg Roman being the OC here by the start of the 2026 season if Coach plans to be a consistent contender in the AFC by then. If fact, it really wouldn't surprise me if the team has a new more innovative play caller by 2025 with Greg Roman being the Run game consultant. The AFC is really loaded with offensive talent at QB & offensive playmakers. The teams the Chargers have to go through to become a successful contender are not going to be consistently stopped by just playing keep away and relying on defense. This team will need to put up points consistently in the mid to upper 20's to have sustained success in my opinion.
                    **Chargers have dropped the last 3 years consecutively in their overall points per game from: **
                    27.9 in 21' to
                    23.4 in 22' to
                    20.4 in 23'
                    This is not a good trend, even if you account for injuries, this offensive as it stands now is severely lacking the playmakers it has had in the previous seasons.

This was the only reservation I had with bringing in Coach because out of the 1000 positives the one negative is he's stubborn (like all great coaches are) and he was in college for a while and the NFL he left is not the same NFL he's returning to. He can ask Bill Belichick and Rex Ryan about that Ground & Pound Keep away with Defensive first mentality. It's outdated now.

Again, I could be 1000% wrong and I will be the first to stand up be accountable and admit it.

Lastly,
                    Just to be fair to Greg Roman. Here's the Baltimore offensive PPG during his tenure as OC from 2019-2022
                    31.9 in 19'
                    27.3 in 20'
                    22.8 in 21'
                    20.4 in 22'

So of course, the health of Lamar had something to do with this, but the trend is noticeable.
                    **This is why, I believe Hortiz and DeCosta addressed a "Certain Position" in the 1st round in 3 of those 5 years. **

For comparison. Monken's first year as Baltimore OC in 2023, the point total was back up to 27.7 ppg.
                    And G-Ro took Alex Smith and SF to the playoffs his 1st year there.

Different years, different teams and players, I won't get carried away with assumptions about the 2024 Chargers. We have a ton of potential IMO. How it plays out, no one knows.

But I like it. They're working on details that appeared to be long forgotten. Like a comprehensive TEAM effort. And I friggin LOVE the player enthusiasm.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2022
                      • White Rock, BC Canada
                      • Send PM

Cutting DD does make some sense if you want to keep Palmer, QJ, Chark, McConkey, Rice, Johnson

While DD was a good KR/PR last year the rules have totally changed on kick offs. It will be much more condensed with less space for small fast guys to get a running start to get speed and momentum. You might see more physical, running back types will be better for kick offs in more crowded space. You might see a guy like Vidal getting a chance to do kick offs

Not saying for sure they will cut DD but it is something to keep in mind. He doesn't bring much receiving value.

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

We have Jaleel White on our side now
                        he married a Spanos.
                        nothing can stop us now...

Attached Files
                        2024: Far From Over

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                          Edge depth would be better than getting another FA WR IMO.

Just saw this and two things

1) agree about Edge over a WR since they signed Chark

2) tells me Rumph might be on the outs

I still want Simmons - but not sure the cost or fit. Bud Dupree - I can see the need and fit for sure. If Dupree signs for the Vet Minimum - would be a wash if they released Rumph

Comment

Working...
                          X