• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    What we are looking at here is some serious camp competition at several positions.

It does take a little getting used to, don't it ?
    Competency? . . . . . . . . . . . yes - we will need some time to adjust since we've not ben exposed to this concept in a (very) long time . . . . . . . I'm looking forward to it!

On a more serious note; in 2024 and beyond I expect this to be a team that doesn't 'lose', just runs out of time . . . . . . . . . A team that will generally not beat itself. Will they win all their games - of course not, but they will (eventually) be a team that you have to beat, not just wait for them them to fail on their own . . . . . . . . . . . . In other words I expect 'Chargering' to fade away over time . . . . . . . . . like a bad dream

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Compete!

COMPETE!!

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

QJ is a strong and willing blocker, I seriously doubt that Harbaugh is interested in moving him, he's also the definition of a Harbaugh guy, low key, hard working, humble, team guy...he ain't going no where...
        What is your source for saying QJ is a strong and willing blocker? I have not seen that stated anywhere.

I don't see the rookie QJ as a Harbaugh guy. I see a lack of effort, feeling entitled because of where he was drafted. Big time drops. Low catch percentage. Remember after camp before the season started he stated in an interview he said he had secured a starting position?

I've not giving up on QJ, I think it's plausible he will take a step forward this season and become a very good WR. But I think it's just as plausible that he's a bust. We don't know yet. But I don't think he's the definition of a Harbaugh guy in what he has shown so far.

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

What is your source for saying QJ is a strong and willing blocker? I have not seen that stated anywhere.

I don't see the rookie QJ as a Harbaugh guy. I see a lack of effort, feeling entitled because of where he was drafted. Big time drops. Low catch percentage. Remember after camp before the season started he stated in an interview he said he had secured a starting position?

I've not giving up on QJ, I think it's plausible he will take a step forward this season and become a very good WR. But I think it's just as plausible that he's a bust. We don't know yet. But I don't think he's the definition of a Harbaugh guy in what he has shown so far.
          I see what you're seeing. Not a Harbaugh guy.
          we're ALL rooting for Q but he has much to prove.
          and his potential wouldnt stop me from keeping a better wr for 2024.
          2024: Far From Over

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

But Palmer is 10x better than QJ. Pay the guys who produce. Move on from the guys who don't, no matter how cheap they are where they were drafted.
            Palmer is good, I like Palmer, but he's injury prone and isn't a very good run blocker, plus he's going to command around 7-9 million a year in his next contract...considering investment in the draft and again with Chark and now they might be signing MVS too, yeah, I think Palmer might get traded, Baltimore never had like a set WR room, they drafted guys periodically and brought in vets post-draft and then let guys go into FA when their deals came up or traded them before hand...thus they have avoided having WR problems there in regards to entitled diva types that expect 20 plus million a year...things are going to be different now, more of a revolving door and WR by committee going forward but QJ is safe on the roster for the next couple of years and then who knows what could happen...Baltimore isn't the only team that has been doing the WR thing like that recently, so have the KC chiefs and both teams have been successful in that setup...
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
              Not sure what we’re doing unless it’s moving on from Palmer.

Speed. 6- 4, 206, 4.37 Speed & reach. MVS and Chark are 2 of 3 Hortiz was looking at. I think they're serious about taking the top off. Expect signing.

Establish the run, take the top off the D. Nice. G-Ro spent a year reviewing his games and studying other teams. I imagine this is a G-Ro move.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

This is what pro football network had to say about QJ's blocking, but I was going off more on what I'd seen from watching tape of him playing at TCU in 2022 and when I studied him a bit before the 2023 draft...

"Lastly, Johnston brings solid utility as a blocker. He understands leverage and uses his long arms to extend and wall off defenders. He’s generally an assignment-sound
                blocker who’s shown to latch and extend, then direct defenders upfield with his wide reach and leg drive."
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

QJ is a first rounder who’s cheap for two more seasons after this one. Palmer’s on his last year.
                  After this season when Palmer's deal runs out, I think that Trader Joe and Harbo take a long hard look at Palmer's production and skillset. If we have at least 2-3 wideouts with a similar skillset and potential production, already on our roster, they may let him go and get a comp pick instead of shelling out a lot of bucks for a second deal...this is what Trader Joe and DeCosta did in Baltimore...stockpiled a ton of 3rd and 4th rounders by letting decent, but potentially expensive players go to FA...first build quality depth, then let some players go to FA and pile up comp picks...ASJ's deal also runs out after next season...I could also see Trader Joe letting him go for a comp pick, especially if he asks for too much $$$ for his second deal...then the Bolts draft CB heavy next draft like we did with wideout this draft...

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

After this season when Palmer's deal runs out, I think that Trader Joe and Harbo take a long hard look at Palmer's production and skillset. If we have at least 2-3 wideouts with a similar skillset and potential production, already on our roster, they may let him go and get a comp pick instead of shelling out a lot of bucks for a second deal...this is what Trader Joe and DeCosta did in Baltimore...stockpiled a ton of 3rd and 4th rounders by letting decent, but potentially expensive players go to FA...first build quality depth, then let some players go to FA and pile up comp picks...ASJ's deal also runs out after next season...I could also see Trader Joe letting him go for a comp pick, especially if he asks for too much $$$ for his second deal...then the Bolts draft CB heavy next draft like we did with wideout this draft...
                    they kind of already started letting a lot of guys walk this year, letting a lot of guys hit FA, and they had a great excuse in regards to the cap I think the chargers currently have three 6th round compensatory picks coming in 2025 offseason, which would give them five total 6th rounders in 2025...

they will be letting a handful of guys hit FA next year, guys like Asante (doesn't fit), Jaimes (assuming he makes the cut), Neiman, Rumph, Fulton, Parham, and perhaps Palmer too, I just happen to think that Palmer get's traded before final cuts to add even more firepower to the 2025 NFL draft as opposed to waiting to get compensation for him in 2026...

Comment

• Heatmiser
                      BetterToday ThanYesterday
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Not a Valdez fan. If he is signed I hope it is el cheapo and it is to add competition to the room.
                      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Palmer is good, I like Palmer, but he's injury prone and isn't a very good run blocker, plus h
                        he's sat out 8 games out of 51 in 3 years. Is that injury prone? Heck, one twisted ankle can cause that.
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

But Palmer is 10x better than QJ. Pay the guys who produce. Move on from the guys who don't, no matter how cheap they are where they were drafted.
                          10X production?

JP Rookie season: 33 REC/353 yds
                          JP 2023 Yr3: 38/581, and a higher drop%

you’re over your skis just a tad…
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X