• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Palmer is known to be a hard worker. We could have an extremely hard working WR room if reports on these guys are true.
    Oh he is a hard worker. But, the results are, well, okay I guess. Do you think that’s good enough for Harbaugh? Why are they talking to Boyd post-draft? Can’t be about any of the three picks or else why pick them? Boyd’s game resembles ??? the most..?

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
      Rice and CJ wouldn’t last five minutes on the PS.

Palmer’s been a pretty lazy blocker that I recall, and I’ve been pimping him since he was drafted.

These WR positions won’t just be handed out. Gonna be a fight and only top dogs will win.
      The league is awash with WRs. I wouldn’t worry too much about them getting poached.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Since the Chargers have 51/53+ players on the roster - there are players already counting $795k on the roster -- so for each draft pick, their cap hit needs to be reduced by $795k to get the Net Impact to the cap. So though the rookie draft class will cost $14m of CASH, the Chargers already have a lot of that allocated to the cap (9 players x 800k is $7.2m -- -the draft class will cost $14m - so net to the cap of $7m)

With Over the Cap showing the Chargers with $30m of cap space before the draft - the draft picks (7m) and UDFA (maybe a million bucks at most) migh be a net $8m to the overall cap. That leaves $22m

$10m for in season fund and practice squad - so now down to $12m

Net result: the Chargers have somehwere in the $10-12m true cap space to sign players still. Now, I do not agree with Chargers1_SJ that the Chargers can sign 3 players at $6m because I am not sure there are three players even worth signing, let alone at this time, worth $6m each.

But, one Justin Simmons at $6m - if the scheme fit is right - is feasible as a 6m contract only counts basically $5.1m to the cap.
        Thanks. ...the bolded is the part that always gets me confused. I always assume the rookie cap hits are the cap hits but this 795,.....subtract this , 51 players that..... ...geez.

I don't assume we will sign Simmons considering what they even doing but if so, he is a good player but they might not sign many more.
        I think they will wait til some releases and cuts are made during TC and after preseason. We'll see, seems sometimes players get released out of nowhere.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Pips is not a swing tackle because he can’t play LT. He’s fighting to not be the backup RT, because that position does not exist. So he needs to be a decent backup G too or he doesn’t fit on the team. I think there’s a place for him in the league as a starting RT, just not here.
          agree to disagree. What, like he uniquely has no left leg or something? I can argue that no backup tackle sitting on the bench "can play LT" if you're gonna go there. Sure he can. I don't know if they want to just prep Salyer to be swing but that means he's not starting at RG and I don't see a lot of new OG's added to the roster.

Keep him as insurance for 2024, draft another OL player or two next year and sell him then. simple.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

He can barely play RT. To think of him as our swing goes against everything JH2 talk about when the conversation turns to depth. I can’t imagine Harbaugh would want to see him out there in the O in an actual game, even as an injury backup. But I guess we’ll see.
            ok. who is our swing tackle?

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2022
              • White Rock, BC Canada
              • Send PM

Rice and CJ wouldn’t last five minutes on the PS.

Palmer’s been a pretty lazy blocker that I recall, and I’ve been pimping him since he was drafted.

These WR positions won’t just be handed out. Gonna be a fight and only top dogs will win.
              Rice likley no. Johnson maybe, he was 4 picks away from being an UDFA. What happens if Johnson bombs in camp against NFL competition? Do you put him on the 53 man roster over a more deserving player at WR or any position?

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2022
                • White Rock, BC Canada
                • Send PM

The league is awash with WRs. I wouldn’t worry too much about them getting poached.
                And all teams have comparable players at the edges of their rosters

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

here we go again (upper left corner).... Chargers No. 5 fave to win SB,

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

ok. who is our swing tackle?
                    As yet unnamed UDFA.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Rice likley no. Johnson maybe, he was 4 picks away from being an UDFA. What happens if Johnson bombs in camp against NFL competition? Do you put him on the 53 man roster over a more deserving player at WR or any position?
                      I think you guys are vastly underrating this 2024 WR crop.

I think the only player I’m fine with being a starter on this team unchallenged is Herbert. Every other mf needs to compete to get a Charger job. Every damn one, they just so royally pissed me off last two years (done with the Staley excuse).

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

As yet unnamed UDFA.
                        lol, ok - so you're not serious about this. I'd like to move on to the Tyler Boyd visit:

Pro: proven NFL veteran WR, decent not great speed, plays faster than his 40

Neg: Last I heard he was fishing for > $8-10M per year? we gonna drop that on a WR for a team that runs the ball every play?

Comment

• QSmokey
                          Guardedly Optimistic
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Kuna, Idaho
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

lol, ok - so you're not serious about this. I'd like to move on to the Tyler Boyd visit:

Pro: proven NFL veteran WR, decent not great speed, plays faster than his 40

Neg: Last I heard he was fishing for > $8-10M per year? we gonna drop that on a WR for a team that runs the ball every play?
                          I'm actually surprised that they even brought Boyd in for a visit, considering that he was rumored to have turned down a 2-year, $10 million contract with the Steelers. I can't imagine spending $10 million PER YEAR on him.

Comment

Working...
                          X