Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
    And we would do that because .....................

chris jericho what GIF by CBC
    Haha no we wouldn't trade him to a division rival, but maybe to an NFC team if we can't initially trade down.
    Say Seattle drafts Odunze as a plan B because they missed out on a Turner or someone, they could have a chance to rebound and offer Odunze plus multiple 1sr for our MH2.
    2024: Far From Over

Comment

• Jack Burton
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2023
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post

Spotrac currently has the Chargers at $107m under the cap for 2025
      Thank You!
      And their are folks here who think the Chargers can’t sign Surtain…

Comment

• Jack Burton
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2023
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

It will be 95-96 mil after the draft with 34-35 players? Weshould be a good shape though i doubt we sign big money FAs as im sure Slater is getting his extension. Not sure who else is a FA we sign a bif contract too. ASJ im not sure we keep him. Depends how he plays this year.
        I’d like to get Palmer resigned. The faster the better and the cheaper.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

As far as roster building strategy goes, I am strongly against the linebacker craze that is sweeping The Powder Blues, and all across the nation.

If we invest our #37 in Edgerrin Cooper for example, he will only get Special Teams snaps. The player bites on misdirection and would give up big plays. That is not what we are looking for.

The Chargers are developing Niemann and Henley. They have some scent-detecting snaps under their belts. Perryman has improved in pass coverage, says those of us who have actually scrutinized the situation. There's Dye.

Pick another position early, oh noobie draftnik wannabes. Early picks are for ballers...'24 ballers. Draft Bertrand in round 6, as a STer and developmental LB.

Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
            As far as roster building strategy goes, I am strongly against the linebacker craze that is sweeping The Powder Blues, and all across the nation.

If we invest our #37 in Edgerrin Cooper for example, he will only get Special Teams snaps. The player bites on misdirection and would give up big plays. That is not what we are looking for.

The Chargers are developing Niemann and Henley. They have some scent-detecting snaps under their belts. Perryman has improved in pass coverage, says those of us who have actually scrutinized the situation. There's Dye.

Pick another position early, oh noobie draftnik wannabes. Early picks are for ballers...'24 ballers. Draft Bertrand in round 6, as a STer and developmental LB.

Yikes! Niemann is developing @Pipkins/Tevi pace...
            Dye... now there is your ST'r.

Coop has rare athleticism for the LB position. His closing speed is outstanding. Open field break down and slender build are his weaknesses. Coaching and weight training will improve his technique deficiencies. Minter loves to blitz. IMO, he's the best at that.

Henley is raw... he was a favorite of mine. Perryman was also a favorite of mine... but he was hurt a lot and had pass defense issues. We need depth @LB... multiple tools... multiple scenarios. The LB's are so crucial to Minter's defense. I have no confidence in Niemann or Dye. Niemann, Dye, and Perryman are likely 1-year placeholders.

OLineCentric

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Coop has rare athleticism for the LB position. His closing speed is outstanding. Open field break down and slender build are his weaknesses. Coaching and weight training will improve his technique deficiencies. Minter loves to blitz. IMO, he's the best at that.

Henley is raw... he was a favorite of mine. Perryman was also a favorite of mine... but he was hurt a lot and had pass defense issues. We need depth @LB... multiple tools... multiple scenarios. The LB's are so crucial to Minter's defense. I have no confidence in Niemann or Dye. Niemann, Dye, and Perryman are likely 1-year placeholders.
              Will whoever the team gets at linebacker be an immediate contributor right away? Or will he require learning and waiting behind just like Henley did?

You mention Minter likes to blitz. You'll need corners who can hold their guy down one-on-one. This team has been either very bad or so-so in pass defense in recent years. Cornerback is one of the biggest needs on the Chargers. CB is a bigger need than LB IMO. Perryman is a proven commodity, and will teach the younger guys. Henley is likely going to get more playing time, and he can do what Minter likes to do in his defense. The two guys Niemann and Dye are probably there until Henley is ready. Can Hortiz and the coaches find younger linebackers who are better than the 3 aforementioned older guys? We'll just have to see how things play out.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Do one year FA rentals at LB every year.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I remember you bagging on me about Johnny Newton when I used the term "rare" about his talent level. He is in consideration at #5 or #11 (PFF #9 rank)..

Niemann and Pipkins are different circumstances and play different positions.

In building our roster, and considering this draft class, I prioritize OL and Slot Corner.

So in my opinion if the choice is Edgerrin Cooper at #37 or Trevin Wallace at #140, I choose the later. BTW I have Payton Wilson as Do Not Draft.

We'll see how it all plays out, as now that I have established that Joe Alt is an excellent run blocker, in a different way than Taliese Fuaga is, my work is done until next week.

Then, I will shock you by trading around and taking Alt (ORT) and Fuaga (ORG).

It is never too late for fresh draft takes, and it is fine that you and I have different draft strategies.
                  Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                    • Feb 2019
                    • McLean Illinois
                    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I remember you bagging on me about Johnny Newton when I used the term "rare" about his talent level. He is in consideration at #5 or #11 (PFF #9 rank)..

Niemann and Pipkins are different circumstances and play different positions.

In building our roster, and considering this draft class, I prioritize OL and Slot Corner.

So in my opinion if the choice is Edgerrin Cooper at #37 or Trevin Wallace at #140, I choose the later. BTW I have Payton Wilson as Do Not Draft.

We'll see how it all plays out, as now that I have established that Joe Alt is an excellent run blocker, in a different way than Taliese Fuaga is, my work is done until next week.

Then, I will shock you by trading around and taking Alt (ORT) and Fuaga (ORG).

It is never too late for fresh draft takes, and it is fine that you and I have different draft strategies.
                    Nieman is a fav of mine...not his fault we had a staff that liked to draft players, then make them sit all the time...even though he showed his mettle on special teams. If there is more in his game, Minter will twinkle it out.

Thing about Newton? Plays beyond his natural tools...takes games over on defense...cant teach that. Darkhorse at 11...
                    Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                      Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                      • Feb 2019
                      • McLean Illinois
                      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                      • Send PM

By the way...they may well be they like young Neiman and Henley, and picked up Perryman for insurance.

They cant fix everything this year...a position group or two is gonna be as is, with maybe a FA or two added for depth...LB could be such a group, imo...and I love Cooper, with Colson and Gray also in my notes...but somethings gotta give...LB and TE may not see alot of draft atrention, imo
                      Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Will whoever the team gets at linebacker be an immediate contributor right away? Or will he require learning and waiting behind just like Henley did?

You mention Minter likes to blitz. You'll need corners who can hold their guy down one-on-one. This team has been either very bad or so-so in pass defense in recent years. Cornerback is one of the biggest needs on the Chargers. CB is a bigger need than LB IMO. Perryman is a proven commodity, and will teach the younger guys. Henley is likely going to get more playing time, and he can do what Minter likes to do in his defense. The two guys Niemann and Dye are probably there until Henley is ready. Can Hortiz and the coaches find younger linebackers who are better than the 3 aforementioned older guys? We'll just have to see how things play out.
                        Oh, I want CB's, too. In fact, if Kool-Aid were there (doubtful) I'd take him over Cooper.
                        Perryman is proven alright. He has proven that he is not very good in coverage. I suspect Henley and Perryman will rotate according to situational football. Perryman = run. Henley = pass. Niemann has always been a ST'r. Same goes for Dye.

Having said all that, if they go DT with #23... then Colson @#37 would be my target.
                        OLineCentric

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

Thank You!
                          And their are folks here who think the Chargers can’t sign Surtain…
                          I think we could handle that $19 mil due Surtain the final year of his deal...my concern is he's gonna want a monster contract after that...those are the types of deals that got us into cap hell...I guess we could F-tag him after that, but he might pull a Moaning Mel...

Comment

Working...
                          X