• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Bozeman - like most of the free agents signed - are one year stop gaps to add depth and some certainty to certain positions just in case the draft doesn't pan out how JH2 want it to pan out

I think IOL will be addressed in the draft at some point. Probably Day 3 pick at this point

Chargers have so many areas to address that they will be able to be varied in their pursuits on draft day. As more than likely, unless QB or K - they have a need whether its in 2024 or preparing for 2025
    I like some of the day three guys, things is they would need more time to develop, the kids from Penn state and Arkansas and let's not forget there are a couple of guys coming out of Michigan that might be available in the 4-7 rounds that coach is familiar with, one has fallen a bit due to injury but if anyone knows the details of the situation it would be Harbaugh...
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

If these teams could redo last years draft Tuli doesn’t get past pick 20…
      Yeah,... also Kittle in 4 years at Iowa had 48 receptions. Bowers had more than that as a Freshman.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        JH3 and Me
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post

I'm not sure what is going on with Linsley. I know we expect him to retire but I've seen him at the voluntary workouts working out with the team so who knows if he is going to retire for sure.
        That is curious, aint it? it seemed he added the option year to help the Chargers reduce cap. but he's still on the roster, still shows up in the cap calculations.

I never heard what his ailment was, I assumed heart/cardio related. Maybe he's just sponging some free PT before he files his papers, or maybe he wants to make one more run at it.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Chargers8491
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

That is curious, aint it? it seemed he added the option year to help the Chargers reduce cap. but he's still on the roster, still shows up in the cap calculations.

I never heard what his ailment was, I assumed heart/cardio related. Maybe he's just sponging some free PT before he files his papers, or maybe he wants to make one more run at it.
          My guess is this, he may have a-fib or some other arrythmia and he is taking medication for it. He may be seeing if the medication will keep it under control during physical exertion. This is pure speculation on my part but would make since.
          Adopted Bolt: QJ

SEASON: 2024 (WK3)
          REC: 10
          YARDS: 133
          TDS: 3

Comment

• Jack Burton
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2023
            • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Maybe...I think we will know for sure after this season if he takes another progressive step to becoming a full time starter.
            Maybe?!?!
            No. He aint getting past pick 20 and everyone and their mother knows it. EDGE is as hard to find as a QB..

Comment

• Jack Burton
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2023
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yeah,... also Kittle in 4 years at Iowa had 48 receptions. Bowers had more than that as a Freshman.

Bowers lined up in the slot 53% of the time, as an in-line blocker 37% of the time and as a wideout 10% of the time. How often was Bowers on the field with the offense? One stat has 98% the other has 78%….

Either way, he’s always on the field as the X factor in any offense.
              • Harbaugh’s utilization of the position: Since 2015, only Iowa has targeted its tight ends more than Harbaugh’s Michigan teams among the entire FBS.

He’s also one of 14 tight ends since 2014 with 75-plus career PFF run-blocking and pass-blocking grades and is capable of taking jet sweeps 75 yards to the house, an unheard-of feat for a tight end. All in all, Bowers might not just be the GOAT college tight end, he might also be the GOAT tight end prospect.

You’d be hard-pressed to find many coaches who value tight ends more than Jim Harbaugh. This season, Michigan ran 12 personnel (one running back, two tight ends) on 48.7% of its plays, the highest rate in the Power Five and third-highest in all of college football. Since Harbaugh took over the Wolverines in 2015, he ran 12 personnel on 32% of their plays, the fourth-highest rate in the Power Five.

Brock Bowers among Power Five tight ends since 2014 (PFF College’s inception)
              Stat Amount Next-closest
              Receiving grade 94.1 92.9 (Kyle Pitts)
              Receiving yards 2,541 2,189 (Charlie Kolar)
              Receiving touchdowns 26 23 (Charlie Kolar & Albert Okwuegbunam)
              Receiving yards after contact 689 466 (Sam LaPorta)
              Missed tackles forced on receptions 44 36 (Jaheim Bell, Sam LaPorta & Brant Kuithe)

This guy is a fucking TD/YAC machine and can play literally anywhere on the field.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Known side effects of heart meds include wsakness.

If Linsley can safely manage the side effects, and if his wife ok's it, who can blame Corey for wanting to be part of the OL centric operation ?
                Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

I’ve been waiting years for an epic offense. Bring it on.

And I really don’t care if it’s epic. I just want to see toughness out of them. I want to see physicality out of them. I want to see them beat up on opponents and make them quit.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

You’ve convinced me! Day three RT to replace Pip, coming right up! With the new coaching/scheme, shouldn’t be a problem at all.

Now, name me a day three WR better than (or minimum the potential to be) better than QJ/Palmer?
                    I just interpret this offense differently than you.

I think Greg Roman's offense wants really good linemen. You think his linemen only need to be mediocre... and need elite WR's or TE's. I think the Roman offense needs a better RT... and that the 1st round WR and 3rd round WR we already have will be just fine.

Hey, maybe you're right... maybe elite WR's help us run better and protect the QB better.
                    I guess we'll find out soon.
                    OLineCentric

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
                      Let's do this!
                      • Aug 2022
                      • Raleigh N. Carolina
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Icebolt View Post

What if Chargers draft a real good C and he starts right away. Bozeman because a valuable back up
                      He would push for a Guard spot

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

there's my disagreement. Pipkins did develop, he's been the starting RT for 2 years. 2023 wasn't a great year-for him but also not good for ANY Charger OL player. In fact, all three interior linemen played worse. But in 2022 he was solid, he gave up 2 sacks the entire year, that is the definition of dependable QB protection. JH is getting murdered by DL and blitzers up the middle a lot more than either edge.

The #1 OT prospect much of TPB clamors for is Alt - he is not a physical run blocker either.

We have mediocre RBs, mediocre CBs, mediocre LBs, VERY MEDIOCRE DTs, mediocre WRs, ... you don't need to scold me about accepting mediocrity, thats not necessary, its not valid, and its besides the point. I think DT is a higher priority for trench upgrade, why don't you stop accepting a mediocre defense that has been bottom 5 in the league for years and the #1 reason we have sucked while our offense has been the better half of the team every year. The Wolverines won the Natty with the BEST DEFENSE in the country - That regime values defense a lot more than TPB does.
                        Pipkins went from a guy that couldn't start over Trenton Scott in Year 1. In Year 2, he couldn't displace Sam Tevi as the starter. In Year 3, they spent millions on a broken down Bulaga... then started Storm Norton over Plumpkins after Bulaga broke down.

So, in that sense (complete and utter failure)... yes, Plumpkins has "developed". But he's never been more than mediocre. He's not what Roman is looking for @RT. He's not the guy to help you run better and protect the QB better. And pointing out the failures of the IOL doesn't make the RT position any better.

Most of us @TPB see Alt as the best overall OT (along with almost every other pundit). But most of us would rather trade back to #11 and #23... where we would draft the best run-blocking OT (and natural RT)... Fuaga.

I agree that DT is a big need. But I don't see any DT that is good enough to occupy the #5 (or #11) draft slot. But could that player be @#23...? Absolutely! But you better also consider that #23 spot could be a LB or CB. Because we are dreadfully weak there, too. That #1 Wolverine defense was strong at LB, DT, and CB. Because that's what #1 defenses are... strong at multiple positions.

If it were me... I'd trade back to #11 and #23. I'd pick a RT @#11 (because that is most likely BPA). If you want to run the ball and protect the QB... RT also seems like a smart place to start. With the #23, I'd pick BPA @LB, DT, CB. With the #39 pick, I'd pick BPA DT, LB, CB. With the #69 pick, I'd go BPA CB, LB, DT.

OLineCentric

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I just interpret this offense differently than you.

I think Greg Roman's offense wants really good linemen. You think his linemen only need to be mediocre... and need elite WR's or TE's. I think the Roman offense needs a better RT... and that the 1st round WR and 3rd round WR we already have will be just fine.

Hey, maybe you're right... maybe elite WR's help us run better and protect the QB better.
                          I guess we'll find out soon.
                          Dude, mediocre? Where the fuck did I say that? I’ve been stumping for Pip to be off the freaking team, his overall play is so poor - and exponentially so in the last two minutes of games. I’m guessing there’s a dozen rookies in this draft who could replace him in Harbaugh/Roman’s O and do better. Certainly be a better swing than him. Just don’t get the arguments to keep him, other than money. Fuck that. I want a better team, and if it means getting rid of another overpriced guy I’m cool with that, we suck and we have to take our lumps. Seriously, upgrading Pip should be high priority and it can be done without shorting this retool of the team anywhere else. Again just my opinion, not trying to blow up anybody else’s, if we go into the season with Pip, or Alt, or whomever I’ll be fine with that cuz I trust the Plan, don’t know the Plan but I know better minds than anybody else’s here are creating it.

Comment

Working...
                          X