• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    BetterToday ThanYesterday
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Kiper said that picks like that was the biggest reason that the colts were a bottom tier organization and that they would always be that, he was being fucking harsh, and Bill Tobin ripped him a new one, LOL!
    Actually kind of proves my point….football people don’t care about guys like Kiper. I remember that year. What a blast from the past. Tobin only said what he said because I think mortensen, God rest his soul, told him Kiper thought they should have picked Trent Dilfer. Alberts was pretty much a bust, but Dilfer was not much better. Did win a Super Bowl with the Ravens.

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Or they can trade him after June 1st and save 6 25 mil after they trade for or sign someone else. And if not, no big deal. He is a swing tackle which is important and he is gone e after this season.
      Exactly - the money is the money. And he has 4.5m guaranteed so releasing him makes no sense as you have to pay somebody anyway. But if you can trade him post June 1 - something to look into for sure. But if you have Pipkins as a back up -- could be worse. We have all seen the depth of this OL the last ten years. Pipkins would be better than most - even at the cost, though not ideal - the contract has sailed

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Actually kind of proves my point….football people don’t care about guys like Kiper. I remember that year. What a blast from the past. Tobin only said what he said because I think mortensen, God rest his soul, told him Kiper thought they should have picked Trent Dilfer. Alberts was pretty much a bust, but Dilfer was not much better. Did win a Super Bowl with the Ravens.

TG
        And I think over the last few years - getting the mock drafts right by the pundits has been tougher. As maybe teams are lying to their sources or maybe teams scout differently than analysts. Probably more the latter. Pundits might look at players on ability. Teams do look at the ability but also look at fit for the roster. Say the Steelers - playing the old 3-4 -- now a player like Kevin Williams (went to Minnesota, 4-3 tackle) might be rated pretty high but if he was not a 3-4 NT, not a scheme fit.
        OL - the same - what works best in the scheme of the team

I look forward to seeing the players selected

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

lf OL is the best player on the draft board at 5, that might be the pick. All depends on who is on the board. I don't think JH2 are going to reach just to fill RT - they are going to take talent that fits the profile of the team.
          Could be. My favorite scenarios:

Trade back to #11 and #23
          Get MHJ @#5 (and I would definitely be open to drafting MHJ before trading back)
          Drafting Joe Alt (or even Fuaga @#5 if that's who they like).
          Drafting Nabers or Bowers @#5 (if that's who they like)

My draft strategy is more based on who I think they like... who fits their philosophy.
          OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I have that on my list to watch but will really move it up the list. People will have an absolute meltdown if we don't pick at least one WR in our first 4 picks.
            I'm not worried about absolute meltdown (I assume it will happen... no matter who we pick).
            In the end, I'm good with whoever they pick. I trust these guys way more than TT.
            The fact that their rhetoric fits my personal likes... has me giddy. I haven't felt this way in a long time.
            OLineCentric

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I'm not worried about absolute meltdown (I assume it will happen... no matter who we pick).
              In the end, I'm good with whoever they pick. I trust these guys way more than TT.
              The fact that their rhetoric fits my personal likes... has me giddy. I haven't felt this way in a long time.
              You might need all three days of the draft to truly inhabit the giddy…that’s my plan anyway, round one is just the overture, fat lady don’t sing till pick 270 whatever.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

TG
                hmmm...not sure how it proved your point, the man not only responded because it bothered him that he was visibly pissed off during the interview, even said something about getting his Irish up, LOL...in Tobin's place I would've said something like "Mel Who?" and left it at that, Tobin kinda made Kiper with that response, he elevated Mel's profile and it was exactly what ESPN and Mel Kiper wanted...

as for Dilfer's Super Bowl, that was arguably one of the greatest defenses in NFL history, it wasn't as bad as the one manning won with the Broncos but it was not like he had to do much either, all dilfer had to do was not fuck anything up...
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  JH3 and Me
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

The Colts picked Trev Alberts I believe and Kiper said it was a bad pick. Mort (I think) was in Indy and interviewed Bill Tobin, GM of the Colts at the time, and blasted Mel Kiper, even saying "Who the hell is Mel Kiper?!!?"
                  Trev is currently the Athletic Director at Texas A&M. yeah, i had to look up who the fuck is Trev Alberts too.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    JH3 and Me
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Exactly - the money is the money. And he has 4.5m guaranteed so releasing him makes no sense as you have to pay somebody anyway. But if you can trade him post June 1 - something to look into for sure. But if you have Pipkins as a back up -- could be worse. We have all seen the depth of this OL the last ten years. Pipkins would be better than most - even at the cost, though not ideal - the contract has sailed
                    name one backup OT on the Chargers roster the last decade that was better than Pipkins. Don't say Salyer, he's DQ'd as a current starting OG.

Answer: There were none, zero, nada.

A trade - ok, for what - a late 2025 draft pick? best I can even imagine is Rd5, which is generally ST/scrub zone. Trade for a good backup at a different position? ok, maybe there. I doubt they trade him for a different backup OT.

Do they draft two starting-grade OTs? I know guys love their trench but Idunno that they'll start stockpiling tackles while ignoring the rest of the team roster. That would feel myopic to me.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Kiper said that picks like that was the biggest reason that the colts were a bottom tier organization and that they would always be that, he was being fucking harsh, and Bill Tobin ripped him a new one, LOL!

TG
                      For your entertainment, here's a few links on Mel Kiper's worst draft calls:

image.png

Attached Files

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

name one backup OT on the Chargers roster the last decade that was better than Pipkins. Don't say Salyer, he's DQ'd as a current starting OG.

A trade - ok, for what - a late 2025 draft pick? best I can even imagine is Rd5, which is generally ST/scrub zone. Trade for a good backup at a different position? ok, maybe there. I doubt they trade him for a different backup OT.

Do they draft two starting-grade OTs? I know guys love their trench but Idunno that they'll start stockpiling tackles while ignoring the rest of the team roster. That would feel myopic to me.
                        I could see an early pick OG, a later pick RT. And Pip off the team one way or the other. This team would be better, Pip at swing is kinda my worst nightmare, he’d only be playing if injury to a starter, and then all his negatives would be exposed especially late in games while we struggle to maintain a semblance of a complete O for the previous 58 minutes: more rushes for less yards, more hurried passes, fewer third down conversions, tired D (all this sound familiar?), resulting in lowered prospect of winning the damn game. Only as good as your weakest link. Which leads me to -

I vote promising rook for swing, who knows maybe it’s an upgrade (kinda a low bar..). Who’s the Michigan RT in this draft?

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

sometimes it just works out that way, the Rams Joseph Noteboom signed a 3 year 40 mil contract the same year Trey did and ended up as a 13 mil second stringer to younger cheaper player in 2023...this offseason he agreed to a huge 8mil pay cut to help the rams out and in exchange he got some concessions and 6 mil fully guaranteed, so I don't think they can trade him or cut him but he's making like 7.5mil to be their swing tackle, and the guy has already pocketed a lot more in the first 2 years than what pipkins is scheduled to make in the entire life of his contract...
                          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

Working...
                          X