• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperChargedRodney37 View Post

Will all due respect. This ain’t college football. You won’t win consistently in the NFL playing 90’s football. That’s why Hall of Famer Bill Belichick is out of a job right now. Failure to adapt to a changing game. No way does the Spanos sit back and watch Harbaugh allow Justin to average less than 20 passes a game. He just got paid over $200 million dollars. He’s not Brock Purdy or McCarthy.
    He is the franchise. They will be balanced but more like 27-30 pass and 25-28 rush depending on score.

The running back is Gus Edwards after all. I like Gus but this man has never had 200 carries in a season or rushed for 1000 yards in a season. I mean until last year when Dobbins went down he never came close to double digit TD’s.
    Look I like Gus but let’s not act like he’s something other than a committee back. They still have a thin RB room to be a ground and pound team.
    you're spot on, SCR! It will vary week to week based on how teams try to defend the Chargers but will be generally balanced. Folks that think Jim and Greg are installing the '67 Packers offense are kidding themselves.

The key word of the day is EPIC.
    We’re trying to create something epic,” Bischoff said Monday. “This morning in our team meeting with the offense, (Roman) used the word epic in front of the guys and defined it. Why not create something different that’s never been done? As much success as we’ve all had in different places in doing different things, none of that matters. All that matters is right now and creating that here.”
    A grinding 40-rush offense is not epic. And its been done before. ergo - it fails the two criteria stated to the team
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

"Epic"

Definition.
      1. A bread crumb, indicating that we are drafting Nabers, so as to have a dynamic run-pass balanced offense.
      2. A clear indication that we will draft Alt at #5, so that we can have a great offensive line on both the left and the right side, and an unstoppable play action offense.
      3. A term that is thrown around to confuse 31 teams about our draft intentions.
      Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Not sure how one makes the determination how an OT, DT, Edge is a better prospect than a WR. They are vastly different positions.
        So assuming they are at the top of positional rankings what it comes down to is positional importance. Is a elite DT or ROT more
        important than an elite WR? My opinion is no. Edge versus WR? Close call. You don't think Nabers or Odunze are elite prospects?
        Most all rankings disagree with you. In fact in nearly all rankings Nabers is clearly ahead of Alt. Odunze versus Alt is close.

The Bengals made it to the SB with Chase and a lot of 2nd string OL guys in 2021. The O line is built as a unit. One particular player
        on the O line does not make or break the team. You need 5 guys working together and team offense depends on this concept.

What if comes down to is if we stay @5 we take MH2 or Nabers. Don't over think it, they are the two best non-QB talent in this draft.
        If we trade down then it's a very different story because we need so much many positions will work.
        Top WR APY is $30M (Hill)
        Top RT APY is $20M (Taylor)
        Top TE APY is $17M (Waller)
        (fun fact: Top LT APY is $25M, also below WR)

Players #2, #3, #4, ... etc APY salaries follow this same difference down the list. So the positional value is clear: WR's are more valuable than LTs, RTs and TEs - the world has spoken.

Evaluation of actual specific players has to be factored in: e.g. is WR X better/more valuable than RT Y -that is case by case. I honestly don't seen anyone trying to even make a case that Alt is a uniquely superior LT for the ages over other top LTs. only that he is the best LT in the 2024 draft. but we don't need a LT, we need a RT (conceding that we need a RT for argument's sake). The expert evaluations of MHJ are the opposite, everyone here knows them so I won't repeat.

Is Alt >> MHJ in terms of individual player talent to overcome the greater positional value of WR? nope - not one bit, not even close. not at all. in fact, its the opposite - MHJ is universally rated as an elite WR (pssst - don't forget we still don't need a LT, we need a RT and Alt is not the best rush blocking RT in the draft).

Conclusion: MHJ is the most valuable non-QB player in the 2024 draft. its proven. its empirically verified. it is now validated as real-world fact. Its done.

Are Nabers or Odunze value also > Alt? Idunno - I think so but what the fuck do I know. I'm just a stupid former mayor turned port commissioner, plotting my run for a new term as Mayor of Flipville next season - of course I'm gonna tell everyone the road is lined with violets and rose petals. If re-elected, I pledge to bring greatness back to Flipville with a Chargers Championship!

-----

now the whispers spread that MHJ's dad didn't take showers with Indy teammates after home games a generation ago? good grief, thats the weakest ass tea thats been poured here all winter. I don't care if his dad went home and slept in his dirty underwear.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

So, r u saying MHJ has a low ceiling? If a player is already elite, where does he go from there?
          I think he's saying he topped out, not sure if he said he topped out at a low level exactly not.

Looks like he topped out as the best WR in a generation ... hmm, well then, ok then. sign me up.

I'm actually more in the tradedown camp Odunze/Bowers + Latham over MHJ, but if I had to pick at 5 and he's on the board, there is zero question who I pick.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

They were excellent points made - and the Lions are a good example of taking Sewell and getting the WR later in the draft whereas the Bengals still have an issue at OL

Harbaugh talks how the OL makes everything go - and he is right

If the pick is Alt at 5 - so be it. I truth JH2 that they know how to build this team up

Bigger reason I want the trade back is I just want to build a deeper roster and think 11 + 27 >>> 5... Granted, still have to make the right picks
            I share your opinion on this.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Position value, importance is almost like fads.

How long have the Chargers been trying to find an Aaron Donald ?
              Hmmm?
              --Corey Liuget
              --Darius Philon
              --Justin Jones
              --Jerry Tillery
              --Sebastian Joseph-Day

Now look at ORT.
              --Joe Barksdale
              --Sam Tevi
              --Bryan Bulaga
              --Storm Norton
              --Trey Pipkins

Half assed efforts, half assed results.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                BetterToday ThanYesterday
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Talk about conundrum.
                Please. I just spent an hour trying to explain the first law of thermodynamics to my wife who is a fabulously smart arts major. My brain already hurts enough for one day.
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Top WR APY is $30M (Hill)
                  Top RT APY is $20M (Taylor)
                  Top TE APY is $17M (Waller)
                  (fun fact: Top LT APY is $25M, also below WR)

Players #2, #3, #4, ... etc APY salaries follow this same difference down the list. So the positional value is clear: WR's are more valuable than LTs, RTs and TEs - the world has spoken.

Evaluation of actual specific players has to be factored in: e.g. is WR X better/more valuable than RT Y -that is case by case. I honestly don't seen anyone trying to even make a case that Alt is a uniquely superior LT for the ages over other top LTs. only that he is the best LT in the 2024 draft. but we don't need a LT, we need a RT (conceding that we need a RT for argument's sake). The expert evaluations of MHJ are the opposite, everyone here knows them so I won't repeat.

Is Alt >> MHJ in terms of individual player talent to overcome the greater positional value of WR? nope - not one bit, not even close. not at all. in fact, its the opposite - MHJ is universally rated as an elite WR (pssst - don't forget we still don't need a LT, we need a RT and Alt is not the best rush blocking RT in the draft).

Conclusion: MHJ is the most valuable non-QB player in the 2024 draft. its proven. its empirically verified. it is now validated as real-world fact. Its done.

Are Nabers or Odunze value also > Alt? Idunno - I think so but what the fuck do I know. I'm just a stupid former mayor turned port commissioner, plotting my run for a new term as Mayor of Flipville next season - of course I'm gonna tell everyone the road is lined with violets and rose petals. If re-elected, I pledge to bring greatness back to Flipville with a Chargers Championship!

-----

now the whispers spread that MHJ's dad didn't take showers with Indy teammates after home games a generation ago? good grief, thats the weakest ass tea thats been poured here all winter. I don't care if his dad went home and slept in his dirty underwear.
                  When all is said and done, the Chargers still might draft Joe Alt at #5.
                  The point has been brought up by Bootleg football, even though they agree with your take.
                  This is with MHJ still on the board.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Birmingham AL
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Lifelong (2nd favorite team) Vikings fan here. They had Tommy Kramer, Dante Culpepper, Brad Johnson, Rich Gannon, Warren Moon, in addition to Wilson, Favre, Cunningham (who was still very good at the time) and Cousins. Plenty of qbs you can win with and who can win for you. And a number of them won super bowls just not with the VIkings. Who, sadly, have NEVER won a Super Bowl even with Sir Francis.

TG
                    I forgot about Kramer, he was a pretty good QB, as with the others you listed. Just none of them in their prime when they were on the Vikings, or their prime wasn't as good as it should have been.

Comment

• SuperChargedRodney37
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2024
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I still don't think the Vikes need the Cards, especially if they're asking for THREE 1st rounders for #4...Arizona is NOT drafting QB, so let them just go ahead and pick MHJ...then, the Vikes deal directly with US...I think the Bolts do the deal for #11 and #23...maybe also throw in a 3rd or 4th rounder to sweeten the pot...Trader Joe holds all the ahem, Cards...
                      Did you have a chance to listen to coach Bischoff yet? It’s a great listen and a lot of good nuggets.
                      i ask because the nuggets he dropped confirmed to me that it doesn’t really matter who the Vikings are dealing with at 4 or 5, it’s going to take more than #11 & #23 for both teams.

He mentioned:
                      1. Line importance and after listening to that, I heard depth, development and viciousness. I see multiple OLINEMAN drafted in the mid to late rounds.
                      2. TE’s. Loves Dissly as an extension of the line. “Controlling the C Gap”. Absolutely loves Hurst and thinks so high of him that he sees a potential Top-6 TE. They want “True” TE’s. This confirms what I felt about their feelings on Bowers. Blocking is first priority.
                      3. My favorite. They want to build an “EPIC” Offense. Herbert’s best offense he’s ever played in.
                      Nothing “EPIC” about ball control. They will be balanced with explosive plays. (Need explosive players to have explosive plays).

Based on those nuggets. I don’t see a first round trade back outside of being able to get one of those Elite players and it will take a serious haul that must include 2025 capital to drop out of the Top-10. Regardless of whether MHJ is on the board or not.

So based on the nuggets. I don’t see Alt at #5 (Not Vicious enough).
                      Don’t see trade back to 11 for a lineman. They want to build depth there.
                      Don’t see Bowers at 11. They are very happy with the TE room and have already designated roles.

Marcus Brady was a great listen to as well and was very coy.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

I think Harbaugh is saying to get to 5 you need a Julio Jones type deal. He is specifically bringing up the value of 5 in terms of a team trading up to 5. That’s why he went out of his way to talk about how valuable it is.

You saying those days are over is conjecture.
                        Teams are trading up for QBs nearly every single year as recently as the last draft.
                        No, he deliberately prefaces this with, "If the 1st four picks are all QB's".... as in, that's a pretty ridiculous scenario (to give up the #1 player in the draft for QB4). But... if Arizona is that stupid to pass on the #1 player @#4... I'll gladly take the the #1 player @#5. And THAT is how the #5 pick becomes valuable. With MHJ off the board @#4... that #5 isn't as valuable as the #1 player.

Now... if you want him back (after fucking us)... then yeah, that will take a Julio Jones type deal.
                        In fact, it will take everything you just got for the #4 pick... because you're desperate for a WR... and we're not.

You'll have to remind me of the QB trade last draft... was that Levis? How much did they get? Was it Trey Lance bank?
                        I think the Trey Lance trade debacle has thrown a wet blanket over wet-dream QB trades...

OLineCentric

Comment

• FoutsFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Birmingham AL
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                          Position value, importance is almost like fads.

How long have the Chargers been trying to find an Aaron Donald ?
                          Hmmm?
                          --Corey Liuget
                          --Darius Philon
                          --Justin Jones
                          --Jerry Tillery
                          --Sebastian Joseph-Day

Now look at ORT.
                          --Joe Barksdale
                          --Sam Tevi
                          --Bryan Bulaga
                          --Storm Norton
                          --Trey Pipkins