• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

The Chargers want more speed at WR per Jeremy Fowler.

We want to burn oppinents deep after pounding them and them putting 8 in the box.

That has me thinking Brian Thomas, Jr @ #11.

Brugler commented Friday on The Athletic Football Show that BTJ puts high effort in his blocking (no block-no rock).

We are talking about a 6'4"/205# WR with 4.33 Forty speed and elite "Flying 20" times.

This will be our best chance, as Odunze will be gone by @ #11.

Slot Corner would remain the screaming need.

All IMHO.
    Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

We want to burn oppinents deep after pounding them and them putting 8 in the box.

Brugler commented Friday on The Athletic Football Show that BTJ puts high effort in his blocking (no block-no rock).

We are talking about a 6'4"/205# WR with 4.33 Forty speed and elite "Flying 20" times.

All IMHO.
      this might be the better play - get you WR at 11 and your RT and CB down the road

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

I think it's time to re-visit Quentin Johnson's pre-draft measurables... and then discuss how he was used last year. Then discuss how he might be used this year... under a different OC.

Something that stood out to me are his "Composite Explosion Grade" (elite) as opposed to his "Composite Agility Grade" (Poor).
        It tells me that he was misused last year. Very rarely was he used to his strength (deep or start/stop mid-range routes). They made him run precise routes short/mid range... his weakness.

On the other hand, Harbaugh/Roman have always run an offense that stresses running the ball to set up play-action to their receivers. I think this plays to QJ's strengths. CB's will have to read/react on most every play. If the offense can consistently pick up 4-6 yards running the ball on 1st or 2nd down, defenses will have to play honest. The explosion of QJ's game (along with the speed of DD) will have to be respected.

The other aspect of QJ's game that was ignored last year were his usage of drag routes across the formation and quick hitting slant routes. Jim Harbaugh got to see this first hand in their matchup during the FBS playoffs.

A quick, 2-minute drill, profile on Johnston pre-draft. I think he was always seen as a traits-latent prospect that needed development in certain areas of his game. I think it would be a missed opportunity to sit him and not develop his potential.
        Support the Channel on our Patreon:https://patreon.com/2MinuteDrill?utm_medium=clipboard_copy&utm_source=copyLink&utm_campaign=creatorshare_creator&utm_conte...

Short videos (1 from last year, 1 from college) that show how he SHOULD be used next year.
        Get your SportzCases here! - http://sportzcases.com?aff=203​Promo Code for 10% off: ProcentralMake sure to comment suggestions for future videos below. Enjoy...

la chargers qb easton stick hits quentin johnston for a deep catch vs the broncos.#lachargers #chargers #nfl #football #highlights #footballshorts #mustsee #...

And a video of his misuse.
        Is Quentin Johnston officially an NFL Draft bust? Seems premature 5 games into an NFL career, but that's what many are saying. Do they have a point? Not real...

OLineCentric

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

All IMHO.
          I love your Thomas at 11 pick, saw your mock. I don’t think he lasts to 23. I think he’s more elusive than Odunze - Rome is just bigger stronger etc. but Thomas is a grown man receiver, with superb hands - he’s not a toy like Worthy - that kid’s stick frame scares me, I don’t know Ben cam break-proof him.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Excellent post on QJ, nutty. Backasswards coaching/play design, not even sure why TT/Staley drafted him if their intent was to not go with his strengths/just utterly misuse him.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
              Excellent post on QJ, nutty. Backasswards coaching/play design, not even sure why TT/Staley drafted him if their intent was to not go with his strengths/just utterly misuse him.
              Isn’t the backstory that it was TT that picked QJ, overruled Staley who wanted Flowers? TT don’t know how to diagram a play. I doubt Staley misused him on purpose to spite TT, thats not self-serving his own best interests, obviously.

I think the primary lesson was Moore is Less. Staley doesn’t even know how to coach defense, much less offense.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

The Chargers started with KA, JP, and MW as intended starters last year. The contracts of KA and MW were not sustainable long-term. I think JP was drafted as an eventual replacement for KA... and QJ was drafted as a potential replacement for MW. Both were vastly under-utilized last year.

Now, with both KA and MW gone, is the time to develop both within the Harbaugh/Roman offensive scheme.
                The 21-personnel will be heavily used this year. That means a large dosage of 2-WR sets.
                Drafting a Top-3 WR means putting either JP or QJ on the bench and giving up on the develop of two of their young players.
                I think the plan is to draft a player to play behind JP (mid round) and pick up a relatively cheap WR (post-draft cuts) to mentor QJ.
                OLineCentric

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

The Chargers started with KA, JP, and MW as intended starters last year. The contracts of KA and MW were not sustainable long-term. I think JP was drafted as an eventual replacement for KA... and QJ was drafted as a potential replacement for MW. Both were vastly under-utilized last year.

Now, with both KA and MW gone, is the time to develop both within the Harbaugh/Roman offensive scheme.
                  The 21-personnel will be heavily used this year. That means a large dosage of 2-WR sets.
                  Drafting a Top-3 WR means putting either JP or QJ on the bench and giving up on the develop of two of their young players.
                  I think the plan is to draft a player to play behind JP (mid round) and pick up a relatively cheap WR (post-draft cuts) to mentor QJ.
                  I hear ya. But I still want a plug-and-play playmaker. We don’t have one. It’s a need, especially the last two minutes of pretty much every game. All the development in the world ain’t gonna make Palmer or QJ that IMHO. They are complimentary, that should be their role and nothing wrong with that.
                  Last edited by blueman; 04-07-2024, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

2 WRs I can see them waiting to draft in the 2nd even though different play styles but similar speed.

Roman Wilson- Familiarity, speed, route running, hands, blocking and great separation.

Xavier Legette- Big, physical, speed, hands, blocking. I wonder if Coach Sanjay will have a say in drafting him since he is similar to DK Metcalf. A couple inches shorter but just as heavy and fast. I think he needs work with route running.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2022
                      • White Rock, BC Canada
                      • Send PM

All IMHO.
                      Another nice change with the new management team! Telesco seemed oblivious to speed on this offence

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2022
                        • White Rock, BC Canada
                        • Send PM

I hear ya. But I still want a plug-and-play playmaker. We don’t have one. It’s a need, especially the last two minutes of pretty much every game. All the development in world ain’t gonna make Palmer or QJ that IMHO. They are complimentary, that should be their role.
                        Good point.

And as much as all the talk is about a run game and ball control offense, the reality is that we play in the division with Mahomes and the Chiefs, which means there are games we will find ourselves down a TD or two, having to play from behind. Not to mention the plethora of top level QBs in the AFC that will put up points on any defense. There needs to be more play making and explosion on ths offense.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Another nice change with the new management team! Telesco seemed oblivious to speed on this offence
                          This draft is going to be fun.
                          Solid picks.
                          Common sense.
                          Intelligent maneuvers up and down
                          Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X