• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Mack is better than any 3rd rd pick in the draft, Joey is better than any 7th rd pick in the draft. Both by a mile

Create two new holes, thats two other holes that can't be fixed
    Well first the Chargers need to be cap compliant - so that is where Bosa and Williams come in. Unless you want to push 30m of cap for both players - it really is the only logical move. Kendrick and Linsley only get you so far. And as Popper pointed out, they need to have a 53 player roster, sign their draft picks. And that still only is the bare bones roster of a bunch of minimum level players

Second - say Mack is traded for the 3rd round draft pick - the team would have funds at is disposal to sign other players.

Its not all or nothing. Its just reallocating resources both for 2024 - but possibly longer term. I think Allen and Mack are fine - if they push cap - but not more than those two. And if somebody did offer a 3rd for Mack - I would listen as now I get both draft picks and cap space to sign other players that fill out the roster better that aligns with the future.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Well that was Poppers opinion but if you look at the list - how many other players would be back. I quickly persused and thought maybe a handful at most. And that doesn't include some players signed to futures deals like Duggan

If you add in Linsley, Kendricks, probably Williams and Bosa - very close to 30

and the roster needs it

Agreed . . . . . . . there's got to be a limit to Harbaugh's rehabilitation abilities

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post
        [/B][/U]

Agreed . . . . . . . there's got to be a limit to Harbaugh's rehabilitation abilities
        First Tier Herbert, Tuli, James, Dicker, Hanley, Slater
        second tier Palmer Zion Salyer, Pip (because of the contract) and Samuel
        sure I am missing a few but not many

the rest - am I missing anybody. I know Allen -- probably

but thats really it for me

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

told peoples last year, and will tell them again.... Keenan 'n Khalil aren't goin' nowhere and no time soon.... think 'tis much more likely they are here for the duration ('til we win the SB), than not.

and jftr.... think that's four years out ??

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

First Tier Herbert, Tuli, James, Dicker, Hanley, Slater
            second tier Palmer Zion Salyer, Pip (because of the contract) and Samuel
            sure I am missing a few but not many

the rest - am I missing anybody. I know Allen -- probably

but thats really it for me
            I'm looking forward to getting something out of our young guys; Matlock, Otito, Woods, QJ, Leonard, Taylor. I also think Harbaugh will elevate DJ and Alohi's game . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

I'm looking forward to getting something out of our young guys; Matlock, Otito, Woods, QJ, Leonard, Taylor. I also think Harbaugh will elevate DJ and Alohi's game . . . . . . . . .
              Alohi is a free agent. Can we afford him in the open market? Cap Casualty?
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

I like seeing the “win now” fans stepping up. Boo to the “take a year off to get the cap in order” fans.

Other teams are able to work through cap issues and still win, so can we.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2020
                  • Oklahoma
                  • Send PM

Could a player with an albatross contract like Bosa be released and a few months later sign back with the same team?

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                    I like seeing the “win now” fans stepping up. Boo to the “take a year off to get the cap in order” fans.

It takes cooperation and belief that some of the players will recover most of their past abilities. We keep on nursing these beliefs that that these players will have miraculous recoveries and that it will be like it was three years ago. father time is a bitch! I have no problem letting Bosa and Williams walk if they're not cooperative. Right now Williams will not even be a factor for the first half of next year. Bosa...who the hell knows what he wants to do. As far as I'm concerned he owes us a free year. But is that going to happen? JCJ was a complete fiasco that gummed up our machine in a big way and we are paying that price now. Thank god Telesco is gone....

Comment

• FoutsFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Birmingham AL
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I think a lot of posters are wanting to tear the whole thing down to try and push out winning. Many fought like hell to keep Harbaugh away, now want to put off winning for another couple years or more. Win the salary cap SB and complain about the team so as to stay in their comfort zone.

As has been said many times, lots of teams work with cap issues every season, we have done the clean, neat, perfect cap and have NOTHING to show for it. Lets try the other way for a change.

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

I think a lot of posters are wanting to tear the whole thing down to try and push out winning. Many fought like hell to keep Harbaugh away, now want to put off winning for another couple years or more. Win the salary cap SB and complain about the team so as to stay in their comfort zone.

As has been said many times, lots of teams work with cap issues every season, we have done the clean, neat, perfect cap and have NOTHING to show for it. Lets try the other way for a change.
                        We have the dirty cap last season and have nothing to show for it either except the fifth pick in the draft.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          JH3 and Me
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Well first the Chargers need to be cap compliant - so that is where Bosa and Williams come in. Unless you want to push 30m of cap for both players - it really is the only logical move. Kendrick and Linsley only get you so far. And as Popper pointed out, they need to have a 53 player roster, sign their draft picks. And that still only is the bare bones roster of a bunch of minimum level players

Second - say Mack is traded for the 3rd round draft pick - the team would have funds at is disposal to sign other players.

Its not all or nothing. Its just reallocating resources both for 2024 - but possibly longer term. I think Allen and Mack are fine - if they push cap - but not more than those two. And if somebody did offer a 3rd for Mack - I would listen as now I get both draft picks and cap space to sign other players that fill out the roster better that aligns with the future.
                          I think a WR is replaceable in the draft. I think our WR group is too uniform in style and ability - I'd look for a complimentary quick twitck/speed receiver that has a knack to get open quick and can force safeties to stay deep. MW unfortunately needs to be a cap casualty. I do not have that same confidence for a later round edge draft pick and I want to do other things with the draft than just replace players we have.

Bosa is 22M dead cap this year to cut him, only 14M possible cap saving. his dead cap drops to only 7Mish or so next year. Next year would be the year to cut him, I think. I would

- MW cut $23M
                          - Liinsley retire $9M, cum $32M
                          - Kendricks cut $6.5M, cum $38.5
                          - Extend Slayer - generate $7M 2024 cap savings

Thats it for March. Let the dust settle, see if there are any REAL offers for our existing players, plot out the plan for how to configure the entire roster/cap end to end ... no rash emotional moves now.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X