• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Icebolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2023
    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

NE has gone without a franchise QB since Brady left. If the guy they want is not there @ 3 they will trade out. Not convinced they have to take a QB they don't necessarily want. Maye is the wild card and the rumors about NE not wanting Maye keep circulating. It is liar's month so who knows? But right now I'm not buying that NE will definitely take a QB. In fact they may be better off with Chicago for a trade with Fields. At least the guy has some experience.
    NE trades the #3 to Vikes.
    Minni doesn't make this trade just to move up to get JJ at #5. They want one of the top 3. SO, they may have a deal already worked out with NE. NE then trades for Fields ( I think they can get him for a 3rd ) and has a vet to play for a few years. They now can draft Nix or Penix with #23 and get their QB of the future without rushing him. This is what Belichik would do for sure.

Comment

• JOJAX85
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2018
      • Irmo, SC
      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

You are not wrong. Herbert seemed to be locking into Keenan all the time and defenses knew it.

Fuck it, Keenan was a great Charger but i am ready for something new!
      I think most of this was because he was the only one getting open. We didn't have a running game or anyone who could take the roof off so Defenses were content with Keenan getting his underneath numbers. Allen was this generation's Charlie Joiner in my opinion, but he didn't have a Winslow, Sr & Jefferson/Chandler so we were game planned accordingly. Out of the 5 big FAs we had, he was the one I wanted to keep the most. BUT someone had to go and we have been wasting Herbert's cannon. I was all in on Bowers, but I can get on board with one of the top 3 WRs now. Still a lot of time to fill the roster with top talent. I'm not worried.

Comment

• charger1_sj
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        Keep this in mind. The Chiefs traded the best WR in the league then won back-to-back Super Bowls without him, with an average WR corps at best. Mahomes did have Kelce, but Kelce in the past two seasons hasn't come close to equaling Tyreek's production, averaging less than 1,200 yds receiving and 8.5 receiving TDs in the Chiefs consecutive SB seasons.

The Chiefs have had a solid run game, a very good OL, DL and secondary, and Mahomes of course. The Chiefs did not have a single WR go over 1k receiving yards in 2023. Their best was the rookie Rashee Rice, 938 yds, 7 TDs. The Chiefs were 15th in points scored per game (21.8) the 2023 regular season, and in the post-season they were 8th in pts scored per game (23.8).

The Chiefs had the 2nd best scoring defense in the regular season and they were 2nd in the post-season as well. The top two regular season scoring offenses were the Cowboys and Dolphins, both averaging more than 29 pts per game. Both were one and done in the playoffs.
        We don't have Mahomes and Kelce. More importantly we don't have their defense. And make no mistake about it, they got by the Ravens, 49ers because of their D.
        Mahomes and Kelce the closers.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

I agree - he is untradeable in 2024 - he'll be a Charger for one more year. He's positioned for a new contract with another team next year, but in order for that contract to be big money he'll need to stay healthy AND be impactful. I think Charger mgmt. has been clever playing this game with Joey - they've managed to save significant 2024 $$$'s, avoided another roster hole to plug, and at the same time created a situation where Joey will be highly motivate to perform well. Sounds like a skillful win / win to me.
          This is why I’m convinced our first pick is going to be Edge, my guy is verse but love turner and latu as well although concerned about latu’s neck…
          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I got Bambi, Chandler, Joiner, Winslow, Jefferson, and gates all ahead of him and I don’t want to hear about numbers…ALL of those older guys would’ve tore it up in the passing era that KA played in…
            With apologies and great respect, I disagree. IMO Keenan Allen is the 2nd best WR in Chargers history, behind only Bambi, and third best receiver, behind Gates and Bambi. I put KA above Winslow, Joiner, Jefferson (only 3 seasons a Charger), Chandler, Vincent Jackson or Garrison.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

I agree I think they have their sights on Maye or someone better than McCarthy.
              I don't believe there's any way NE gives up #3 - they need a franchise QB desperately.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

You are not wrong. Herbert seemed to be locking into Keenan all the time and defenses knew it.
                Yet he still got open and he still caught an incredible number of passes. It was like LT in that regard. The opposing defenses knew LT was getting the ball, it was no secret, but they still couldn't stop the Chargers' run game. It was the same with KA in the passing game. DBs couldn't cover him.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

I got Bambi, Chandler, Joiner, Winslow, Jefferson, and gates all ahead of him and I don’t want to hear about numbers…ALL of those older guys would’ve tore it up in the passing era that KA played in…
                  I never saw Alworth but have heard/read he was the best

I know Canepa says that Chandler was better than Jefferson and I guess Fouts said the same thing to Jerry Magee

But for me, the best WR I have seen in a Chargers uniform was John Jefferson -- for those three years

Allen is right up there though from what I have seen - wish him well in Chicago - good luck! Beatty, Amen, Everett, Allen - anybody else

Comment

• charger1_sj
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2022
                    • Send PM

This is why I’m convinced our first pick is going to be Edge, my guy is verse but love turner and latu as well although concerned about latu’s neck…
                    We don't have a #1 receiver, we don't have a #1 TE. We have 3 edge rushers but you are convinced we take an edge guy with our 1st..
                    Wow, this takes the cake.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

One of the prices you pay when you start taking your 52 million a year soon as a franchise QB. Sacrifices on the roster will have to be made at times so you get your humongous paychecks

Hopefully Herbert will take the next step and earn it, which means winning games like Mahomes does even when he doesn't have a stacked WR core.
                      Funny you mention mahomes, all he’s done since losing hill is win two championships…and if I recall Keenan was the one that predicted that Patrick was going to get exposed without Hill, hence the smiley face from mahomes yesterday when Allen got traded for a fucking 4rth rounder..
                      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

I don't believe there's any way NE gives up #3 - they need a franchise QB desperately.
                        I think MN will trade up with the Chargers. I think AZ will take WR - need to get Murray a playmaker and they will have their pick

Also - I am more just wishcasting this as well

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Who would trade for him? He’s due a 15mil roster bonus first day of business next season plus his like 20mil salary, who’s stepping up to that? The only way Joey gets traded is now or before the deadline during the 2024 season…
                          Because a team wants him and can give him a new deal and cap is going up. Chargers just traded a 32 year old WR with 5 mil due and 18mil salary. Edge rusher are premium players. And Bosa only 30 next year.

Hortiz could get a 3rd Rd pick for 2025 draft.
                          Just like he got a 4th for Allen yesterday.
                          Who has it better than us?

Comment

Working...
                          X