• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Explaining the ‘failed physical’ designation and what it means for the Detroit Lions

Looking into one of the lesser-known stipulations of the CBA.

By Jeremy Reisman@DetroitOnLion Mar 17, 2021, 7:00am EDT

The Detroit Lions raised a few eyebrows this week with the releases of offensive lineman Joe Dahl and defensive tackle Danny Shelton. While neither cut was particularly unexpected, on the NFL’s official list of transactions both releases were given the “failed physical” designation, leading many to ask: “What the hell does that mean?”

So I took a deep dive into the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement to see why those players were given those designations (other than failing physicals), what it could mean for the Detroit Lions’ 2021 salary cap, and why this stipulation is necessary.

If you just want to know what it means for the Lions, skip to the end. I won’t blame you. It gets a bit tedious. But if you want to know more about the CBA and don’t mind getting your hands dirty, meet me at Article 45 of the CBA.

Injury Protection Benefits

Article 45 of the CBA is all about financial protection for the players in case of injury. The primary focus of this section is the Injury Protection Benefit, which was dramatically increased in the post-lockout 2011 CBA. The benefit is intended to ensure that players who sustain major injuries retain some income if they are subsequently released and cannot get a new contract the following season with any team.

Who qualifies for Injury Protection Benefits?

The CBA lists four qualifications necessary to be eligible for these benefits. All four qualifications must be met.

1. The player missed either part of, or the entire, final game of his previous season due to “a severe football injury” OR underwent team-authorized surgery in the offseason.

For the Lions, Danny Shelton underwent tricep surgery in January. Meanwhile, Joe Dahl missed the finale with a back injury. Check

2. The player went through “reasonable and customary” rehabilitation treatment as required by the team.

3. The player fails a physical on or before August 1 following the season of injury. Note that there is strong language in this Article that requires the team to administer a physical exam to determine benefit eligibility if it is called for. It is not optional.

4. The player does not sign a new contract with a new club in the year following the injury.

Both Shelton and Dahl meet the first three qualifications, but that fourth one is yet to be determined. We’ll get back to that in a second.

After each season is over, the NFL provides the NFLPA a list of players potentially eligible for these benefits by February 15 for non-playoff teams and March 1 for playoff teams.

What are these benefits?

If a player meets all of these qualifications, they will receive 100 percent of their salary for the season following the injury up to $2 million, but no compensation for years after that.

For Shelton, his 2021 salary was due to be $4 million. For Dahl, it was $2.675 million. So both would be due to make $2 million.

The good news for the Lions is that they wouldn’t have the full $2 million added to their salary cap. Only the first $1.2 million of Injury Protection Benefits will be charged to the team’s salary cap, the rest are considered “Player Benefit Costs.”

Okay, so what does it mean for the Lions?

As it pertains to their salary cap right now, nothing. The moves still immediately clear out the expected cap relief of $4 million for the release of Shelton and $2.875 million for Dahl.

However, if either player ends up out of football for 2021 due to the injury (qualifier No. 4 above) and files for the Injury Protection Benefit by October 15, it could mean $1.2 million is added to Detroit’s cap for each player that filed. This is one of many reasons why teams carry cap space into the season.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

I expect Popper will explain this better. But us will have some benefit for the Bolts.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• charger1_sj
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
        So question...if we end up cutting Bosa with a June 1st designation, does that mean he can't sign with anyone til after June 1st?

Can we trade him with a June 1st designation for the trade? Thought I saw something about that but its too much for my brain to read lol
        I don't think that saves us anything though. Think it has to be a cut to get the 22 mil.
        If he's on the roster before June 1 he cannot sign with another team. He is not a FA. But we can trade him. The dead cap remains
        at $22.22M in that case.

If we wait until after June 1st the dead cap gets reduced by $7.61M to $14.6M and we can trade him.

HIs salary is not guaranteed. I think any team that wants him in a trade would have to negotiate a deal with him and the comp
        for the Chargers. If he's released he's free to negotiate his own deal.

If we don't release or trade him by this Saturday he would get a roster bonus of $7M. That hurts our cash but does nothing for the cap.

Comment

• Charge!
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
          Edwards, Dissly, Mack and even Gilman. Physical smart football players.

Kenneth Murray.....low iq finesse player.... who only looks physical.
          true!

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Soooo....we have no cap hit for MW having that designation?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

I've never been blasted like this...for a post that I immediately deleted, too.

Buncha vultures.
              TPB Vultures.

Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

So question....if we end up cutting Bosa with a June 1st designation, does that mean he can't sign with anyone til after June 1st?

Can we trade him with a June 1st designation for the trade? Thought I saw something about that but its too much for my brain to read lol
                I don't think that saves us anything though. Think it has to be a cut to get the 22 mil.
                If the Chargers designate him as a June 1 release - he is free to sign with any team today - but the Chargers carry the extra cap hit until June 1

If the Chargers trade him as a June 1 - I think he is not property of the new team physically until June 1. But that $7m bonus really changes things. So, if they trade him and its not a June 1, they just have to find $7m of cap space if they end up needing up. But, if this does happen, and the Chargers take all of the dead hit this year, nothing in 2025

For the right trade and the right draft pick in 2024 - for instance Atlanta just paid big money to Cousins, they got an extra pick from the Jags, they need pass rush - maybe its worth it to take the draft pick now and trade him by Saturday

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Soooo....we have no cap hit for MW having that designation?

From that article, he only had a cap hit if he doesn't sign with anyone, and makes a claim for his salary.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                    I've never been blasted like this...for a post that I immediately deleted, too.

Buncha vultures.
                    TPB Vultures.

I missed it. You’ll have to repost.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• SAY OW 55
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2023
                      • Send PM

Has Joey Bosa said anything that he wouldn’t restructure? For all we know they could be working on that now.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SAY OW 55 View Post
                        Has Joey Bosa said anything that he wouldn’t restructure? For all we know they could be working on that now.
                        Or, they are working on a trade and need to figure out a new contract , meaning the other team -- Bosa can be used to fill other needs on the roster. Spread the wealth a bit in terms of position spending.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by SAY OW 55 View Post
                          It's a chicken shit rumor.
                          Joey does not like tge injury-inducing SoFi turf.
                          He wants to play with his brother, even at a low price.
                          His agent is scrutinizing the current EDGE market.
                          In the end, Joey might stay.
                          Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

Working...
                          X