• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I think that’s what we were doing with the occasional splashy big name FA. The problem was really the drafting side.
    Sarell and Dicker were both signed using the ERFA status per Chargers.com. That puts the roster at 50 players - now just over $21m over the cap heading into the week end

And I do think Hortiz this year will find a lot of guys that are pretty cheap - spread the wealth around and not one Wilkins for instance.

And you are correct - it was the draft and development part that failed

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Are we supposed to only use the draft, with this much of a change in philosophy ?

Our circumstances require usage of free agency initially.
      Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
        Are we supposed to only use the draft, with this much of a change in philosophy ?

Of course Hortiz is going to use free agency - just at what cost and price point. I don't expect many big name signings. I have floated Wilkins but I think thats a long shot. Like the Popper article pointed out, I think the Houston model in year 1 makes sense - a bunch of players, maybe in that 2 -4m range on one or two year deals to build up the depth of the roster so that free agency can be used to add talent and not just fill holes.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          JH3 and Me
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I have mentioned Wilkins as the big money FA - but thats because of the position. If Hortiz can find a pretty solid replacement for half the cost - probably makes sense to be pragmatic this year with the spending to allow a rebuild with the draft to happen.

Player evaluation is the key - whether its Day of Free Agency or the second and third waves. You have to pick the right players, coach them up, etc. But, if you fail with the second or third wave player, it won't wreck your cap like missing on JCJ did
          Ditto. He will be pricey, but cap can be managed to out years where we do not have a current forecast issue. He’s the guy that I’m not sure I see comparable cheaper options that would have his impact - we could sign some cheap IDL players and get more of what we’ve got the last decade but I strongly feel that this is a very high impact position with an elite player. They are fairly few unfortunately. I don’t expect it though.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Chargers8491
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2022
            • Send PM

There is some chatter that the Lions maybe interested in Bosa and suggest trading for him for their 2nd round pick (#61). So far possible interest is from the 49ers and Lions. Maybe a bidding war? Who knows.
            Adopted Bolt: QJ

SEASON: 2024 (WK3)
            REC: 10
            YARDS: 133
            TDS: 3

Comment

• FoutsFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Birmingham AL
              • Send PM

If they are taking a sledge hammer to the team and its top talent as some posters want to create giant gaping holes we will need FA and the draft. No way we fill these huge holes with just the draft. Unless we are calling 2024 a total loss as we keep getting told no one wants, yet many are un officially clamoring for.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Ditto. He will be pricey, but cap can be managed to out years where we do not have a current forecast issue. He’s the guy that I’m not sure I see comparable cheaper options that would have his impact - we could sign some cheap IDL players and get more of what we’ve got the last decade but I strongly feel that this is a very high impact position with an elite player. They are fairly few unfortunately. I don’t expect it though.
                Just a note about the cap -- its only a negative if you miss on player evaluation or what happened with JC Jackson. I mean, Linsley was working out fine as a FA signing.

Looking at this list from NFL.com below, attached - it looks like Chris Jones, Wilkins and a bunch of players probably pretty even. Reader with the quad injuries - thats not good

So to your point, there doesn't seem to be that guy that is much different from the current guys on teh Chargers roster. . Maybe Teair Tart as I haven't heard of him so that gives him an advantage as the rest are probably on the downhill so your one year guys. Wilkins would be the target for me -. Javon Kinlaw might be a cheap target as well, not on the list though

Other positions:
                C: Andre James from the Raiders

LB: Josey Jewell - always seemed to be a solid player for the Broncos

RB - Zack Moss
                TE - Adam Trautman as he can block

Top 101 NFL free agents of 2024 ranked by position: Which spots have most/least depth?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post
                  There is some chatter that the Lions maybe interested in Bosa and suggest trading for him for their 2nd round pick (#61). So far possible interest is from the 49ers and Lions. Maybe a bidding war? Who knows.
                  Bosa and Mack both make sense for the Lions. Well Edge is a need opposite Hutch,. If they want to send their 2nd round pick - sign me up for that

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

If they are taking a sledge hammer to the team and its top talent as some posters want to create giant gaping holes we will need FA and the draft. No way we fill these huge holes with just the draft. Unless we are calling 2024 a total loss as we keep getting told no one wants, yet many are un officially clamoring for.
                    I am taking Hortiz at face value when he says there will be no rip the band aid off approach.

If we draft Nabers @ #5, or Bowers, and we draft Jonah Elliss @ # 37, those are immediate replacements for Mack (trade) and MW (cap casualty).

The growing pains can be assuaged by signing midlevel UFAs deemed good value and fit.

Minter has not relied on EDGE for pressure, albeit he did talk up Khalil and Joey, first thing.
                    Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• Eurobolt
                      *** Jim Harbaugh ***
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Send PM

Bosa for 2nd? Can I drive him to LAX?

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
                        Of course Hortiz is going to use free agency - just at what cost and price point. I don't expect many big name signings. I have floated Wilkins but I think thats a long shot. Like the Popper article pointed out, I think the Houston model in year 1 makes sense - a bunch of players, maybe in that 2 -4m range on one or two year deals to build up the depth of the roster so that free agency can be used to add talent and not just fill holes.
                        Okay, let's take a look at the past 3 Ravens seasons, and see who they signed and lost in FA. Hortiz will probably follow a similar pattern, since he learned from DeCosta, and was in on personnel decisions. One interesting pattern, at least from 2023, is a LOT of cheap, one year deals. So we'll probably see more of the same. Another interesting pattern is that in 2021 and 2022, the Ravens let go a LOT of players to FA, which explains at least in part how they stockpiled so many draft picks. Get ready to see the Bolts unload a lot of players, especially the high-priced, underperforming ones. Finally, there were quite a few trades for picks...a LOT more than TT:

2023:

image.png
                        2022:
                        image.png

2021:
                        image.png
                        Last edited by Topcat; 03-08-2024, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Okay, let's take a look at the past 3 Ravens seasons, and see who they signed and lost in FA. Hortiz will probably follow a similar pattern, since he learned from DeCosta, and was in on personnel decisions. One interesting pattern, at least from 2023, is a LOT of cheap, one year deals. So we'll probably see more of the same. Another interesting pattern is that in 2021 and 2022, the Ravens let go a LOT of players to FA, which explains at least in part how they stockpiled so many draft picks. Get ready to see the Bolts unload a lot of players, especially the high-priced, underperforming ones.

2023:

image.png
                          2022:
                          image.png

2021:
                          image.png
                          Madubuike just signed for close to $100m or something

Wilkins will get that much money

I am good if the Chargers stay out of that bidding war for Wilkins

I stand by my guess that the top 53 will have a roster turnover of 26-28 players...

Comment

Working...
                          X