• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

2 corners? I know somenutty...er...someBODY...that would like that...

Not a bad year to do it...deep class...but Ill wait and see if they think Davis is salvagable...
    Vato is a UFA...he's been up and down...just can't depend on him most of the time...time to move on and draft/sign two new corners...
    (He's also ALMOST on the wrong side of 30...)

image.png

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Draft a CB at some point, probably. 2 DBs maybe, 3? No.
      I'd like two corners and a FS...two of those in the draft and one FA...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Vato is a UFA...he's been up and down...just can't depend on him most of the time...time to move on and draft/sign two new corners...
        (He's also ALMOST on the wrong side of 30...)

image.png
        Ravens found some good FA DBs in free agency for cheap last year

I am good if Hortiz wants to move on to new players

Comment

• HK55
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2018
          • Send PM

This is just old man yelling/staring at clouds. Since the pandi I've been losing interest in sports. Over saturation of broadcast-streaming. Still love my Chargers, Padres and Rockets. Just don't watch the games as intently.

Believe the roster needs a large overall. Especially the cap eaters. Don't think Mack brings back more than a 4th. So be it. Bosa, Williams, AND Allen can go. We have a new coach and GM, give them a season of grace and rebuild. Feel for Herbert. Not giving up on the season, just an infusion of the roster. Yes, easier said than done. That's their job.

Seems the board was positive on the cutting of Kendricks. Which leads me to my question. For 3 straight years we have cut our leading tackler, White, Tranquill and now Kendricks. Understand to a degree Kendricks, the dollar amount. Still his productivity was solid. White, who I loved and Tranquill was a solid team guy. Tranquill in particular signed for peanuts. What am I missing? Yes, coaching. Promoting Ansley was a joke. Guess Staley wanted to keep control and put a straw man in charge. For the most part football is not like BB where you have stat stuffers. Somebody has to make a tackle. Those three made more than their share. Remember the nay sayers. Kyzir , a college safety, too small to play LB. Tranquill, multiple knee injuries in college. Kendricks, lost a step or two. What's all that say about the other 10 starters, who relatively did not put up near the #s of those 3 guys.

Sorry for the oration. But to sum up, in with the new, out with the old. Not going full youth movement, need some vets to step up and FAs. And please dear God, trade down. I'll now go back to nap time.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
            Guys, I'm starting to think that we need to re-sign both Gilman and Everett, they are both decent players that don't miss a lot of time and fill holes for one more year to buy some time for Hortiz to rework this POS top heavy roster that has very little behind a small group of highly paid players...

I think both would like to come back on short term deals...
            There are better TE options than Everett. Harbaugh or Hortiz dont have any ties to Everett and if we sign a TE id assume we would sign someone who is a better fit than he is. Id rather have Fant or Henry than Everett.

Everett made 8 mil last year, how much you willing to pay him? Id only offer half that, which im sure he would turn down...... but since i dont want him id offer a little more to the other two i mentioned.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
              I know we released Kendricks, but still awful quiet in Chargerland, for all the work that needs done...

Hard to sell trades before FA, sadly...but maybe we get lucky. Otherwise, gotta think cut, or one hell of a restructure or extension for somebody, to get us safely into the new league year, and buy us more time to wheel and deal...
              We dont need to release anyone til the 12th and and cant trade MW till the 13th and thats the only move we need to make right now is to be under the cap. So not sure what the plan is. If we have a team that is intersted in MW, maybe we pay whatever bonus he has coming to do that? IDK. But we still have 6 days?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

We dont need to release anyone til the 12th and and cant trade MW till the 13th and thats the only move we need to make right now is to be under the cap. So not sure what the plan is. If we have a team that is intersted in MW, maybe we pay whatever bonus he has coming to do that? IDK. But we still have 6 days?
                Bonus for MW is not due until after the league year opens - so thats fine
                But if there truly is a market for Mike Williams in a trade -- that just means they would have to take other avenues to create the $20m of cap space: 1) extend Allen can probably take his $23m down to like $6m and 2) releasing Fox would get you the $20m to be cap compliant

If there truly is a trade market for Williams --take what you can get
                If not, easiest thing to do is release him and get cap compliant and than you can make other moves

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Bonus for MW is not due until after the league year opens - so thats fine
                  But if there truly is a market for Mike Williams in a trade -- that just means they would have to take other avenues to create the $20m of cap space: 1) extend Allen can probably take his $23m down to like $6m and 2) releasing Fox would get you the $20m to be cap compliant

If there truly is a trade market for Williams --take what you can get
                  If not, easiest thing to do is release him and get cap compliant and than you can make other moves
                  Doesnt mean we cant pay it 5 days early to make a trade happen. Just saying there may be some interest and why they havent released him yet as we dont need to release him now. They can announce a trade before the 13th as the Bills did.

We know something with him will happen and thats the only move we will make til the 13th so some anting to hear something is really not going to be news lol. And i doubt we sign anyone soon in FA. We still have things to do before we sign anyone. Extentions or restructures.....Mack may get traded after the 13th and that is when we might sign someone.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Realistically, the Chargers just need to release Williams before March 13 - if they do not sign anybody else, and they will be cap compliant.

With that, they can use the two day official period to talk to teams, agents - even though that probably really started last week in Indy - to assess trade offers for Bosa and Mack plus get the extension done with Allen. At that time, can truly assess next steps as will know where they are with the cap.

Granted, I too would like to see the news about Mike Williams and the Allen (probable) extension but really, only need to release MW by early next week
                    We all want this resolved sooner than later and probably the players themselves want to know sooner than later, but considering that Hortiz and Harbaugh transitioned in pretty late in the process due to the longer than usual hiring cycle, I think the best thing is for them to take their time and look into all the different possibilities rather than rush things...who knows, maybe Hortiz is workin on getting some draft capital instead of just outright releasing all of these guys, that could include the players restructuring to team friendly terms before being moved which would help the chargers even more than has been predicted...take Joey for instance, he wants to play with his brother in SF, he's need to rework his deal so that it could help the 49ers fit him under the cap...what would something like that mean to the chargers in terms of clearing cap space, I mean if Joey took a paycut as a condition of going to SF?
                    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Doesnt mean we cant pay it 5 days early to make a trade happen. Just saying there may be some interest and why they havent released him yet as we dont need to release him now. They can announce a trade before the 13th as the Bills did.

We know something with him will happen and thats the only move we will make til the 13th so some anting to hear something is really not going to be news lol. And i doubt we sign anyone soon in FA. We still have things to do before we sign anyone. Extentions or restructures.....Mack may get traded after the 13th and that is when we might sign someone.
                      Yes, I get what you are saying. To sweeten the trade pot - the Chargers agree to pay the bonus which lowers the bill for the new team. But if that happens - the draft pick would have to be something other than a 7th

And yes, if on March 13 when the league year opens that MW is still on the roster but Allen has been extended and Fox released (or another move to create a bit of cap space) - could mean MW is being traded

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Evans only gets the $26 per year if the Bucs win two Super Bowls in a row - other wise its closer to mid 40's for 2 years

I have always thought Allen would get in the 18ish range - maybe that goes up to an AAV of $20

I think Allen will sign something you suggest - gets paid this year and 2025 with 2026 tbd - might have some dead cap in 2026
                        That's so stupid, so he signed a deal just to puff up his collar and say he got 26mil avg? it's obvious that he'll never get that money, teams should be prohibited from writing up these bullshit contracts...
                        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

players usually postpone the bonuses to facilitate trades, it doesn't make sense for the chargers to pay a roster bonus for a player that will not be on the roster...

if you're the chargers, how do you not make a run at Christian Wilkins?

Comment

Working...
                          X