• Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Who is pushing cap to next year. Look at OTC
    Bosa has 14.6m of dead cap this year
    Bosa has 7.6m of dead cap next year
    If you want to refer too it as "amortized signing bonus paid but not accrued" - that is fine. It is the same damn thing. I am not kicking the can at all.

I understand about the cap that if the chargers release Bosa with a pre June 1 (or trade) his cap his is larger at the $22.2m but if the Chargers designate Bosa as a June 1 cap, there is your 7.6m that can be used this year.
    2024 📝 29 $15,000,000 $14,611,666 $7,000,000 $0 $36,611,666 13.9% $22,223,334 $14,388,332
    2025 📝 30 $17,000,000 $7,611,668 $8,360,000 $0 $32,971,668 12.7% $7,611,668 $25,360,000
    So now Its about Mack the player versus Bosa the player - who do like better? The salaries are basically the same 23m for Mack or $22m for Bosa
    Of the two, if only keeping one - I am keeping Mack 1000 out of 1000 times.

As for the contract for Mack - its the same as Allen. I give them there $23m - just with voided years. Reduce their cap hits by $15m each -- if they ball out - next spring, establish a new contract. If they don't ball out - well that either 1) establishes a lower contract for 2025 2) they become a free agent. For me, the values for Mack and Allen in 2025 need to be based off their 2024 season, not the 2023.
    Bosa vs Mack should not even be a discussion, it's Mack all the way and it's a complete no brainer...for those saying that it could easily be Mack that gets injured this year instead of Bosa, LOL...let's pretend there was Las Vegas bet associated with that probability, would anyone here seriously consider putting their money on Joey to be the one that stays on the field in 2024? I think not....
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Bosa vs Mack should not even be a discussion, it's Mack all the way and it's a complete no brainer...for those saying that it could easily be Mack that gets injured this year instead of Bosa, LOL...let's pretend there was Las Vegas bet associated with that probability, would anyone here seriously consider putting their money on Joey to be the one that stays on the field in 2024? I think not....
      And even though I have thought trading Mack at his highest value - has merit - I also realize this - even without the caveat of being able to release (or trade) Bosa with a June 1 cap and pushing all his cap forward, I would still keep Mack and lose the 7.6m of cap space in 2024 and move on from Bosa. I don't even think he merits discussion of a pay cut - because again, if he is hurt, how does help the team . Fool me once, fool me twice., not three tiumes - you said it about Vegas

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

See the Jacksonville game that you describe I will have to call BS. That game is where many here bias shines. If Slater were getting beat every play because the Jags OLB lined up a yard off sides into our backfield and did the head slap on Slater and it was never called people here would have gone ballistic. Yet when the equivalent happened to Bosa the haters came out with knives in the back for him and made excuses for the horrific officiating because they were looking for an excuse to slam Bosa. I have to say that was really pathetic to see from Bolt fans.
        So as a veteran and team captain he responded correctly in your opinion? That kind of shit happens in the NFL to every d-lineman out there, at what point to do as the player put the team first before your own frustration? Aaron Donald would probably spend millions in fines and spend entire games suspended if he reacted to all the shit O-linemen do to him, NOBODY in the NFL gets held more than Donald and I don't think I've ever seen him get in a refs face or throw his fucking helmet...
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

So as a veteran and team captain he responded correctly in your opinion? That kind of shit happens in the NFL to every d-lineman out there, at what point to do as the player put the team first before your own frustration? Aaron Donald would probably spend millions in fines and spend entire games suspended if he reacted to all the shit O-linemen do to him, NOBODY in the NFL gets held more than Donald and I don't think I've ever seen him get in a refs face or throw his fucking helmet...
          And the second time - he was what 10 feet from the sideline. Just get to the sideline, throw the helmet, dump the water cooler, knock over a bench - no penalty. But on the field of play, penalty..

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

If you are trading/cutting Bosa this year (Pre-June 1st) then you are eating the $14m this year... and you will be clear of the whole $14m next year. If you are trading/cutting Bosa this year (Post-June 1st) then you are indeed kicking $7+m onto the 2025 cap. You will have $7+m less cap for 2025. If you are OK with $7+m extra on the 2025 cap (you weren't 2 months ago) then you could simply restructure now. At least you don't have a gaping hole @edge for the next 2 years. And you still haven't explained how you would extend the 33-year old (soon to be 34) Mack. Are you accepting the $38m cap hit and rolling him bacl out there 2024...? Or are you extending the $15.3m restructure bonus out over 2 years and paying him an additional $20m/year (his market value right now)...? Or are you hoping he (and his agent) will accept $10m home-town deal...? Because 2 months ago you were very skeptical that would happen.

You're accepting certain financial truths and ignoring others. You want to portray a 33-year old as indestructible and a 29-year old as a certain impending injury. I'm not buying either. You can't have it both ways.

Any way you look at it... you've got $15.3m (on 1 year left) to spread out for Mack... and $14.4m (over 2 years left) to spread out on Bosa. And Mack is 4 years older. Do you expect 17 sacks from Khalil next year...? Do either of them fit Minter's defense...?
            OLineCentric

Comment

• Critty
              Dominate the Day.
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Exactly. That play is over. Regardless of how you feel about it. Bosa catches feelings too much. A player has to refocus on next play. Not the refs. Even if you have 1 braincell like Joey Bosa. That 1 braincell needs to stay focused on football and winning the next snap.
              Aaron Donald when it matter most, was on the field and made the game winning stop to help his team win Superbowl.

When it matter most
              Joey was offside and killed a key blitz sack that worked.
              Then was flag for acting like a baby later in the game.
              Then admitted his mentality was oh no panic about the Jax getting back into the game. And his overall health of playing 17 games plus playoffs is not reliable.

I don't want a player no matter how good when he is engaged and healthy, who had pre snap stupid, post snap stupid, and mentally soft panic in the most important game of season. Tack on the health concern. Waste money and roster spot.
              ​​​​
              I trust Joe Hortiz understands these things and will make the appropriate moves.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                If you are trading/cutting Bosa this year (Pre-June 1st) then you are eating the $14m this year... and you will be clear of the whole $14m next year. If you are trading/cutting Bosa this year (Post-June 1st) then you are indeed kicking $7+m onto the 2025 cap. You will have $7+m less cap for 2025. If you are OK with $7+m extra on the 2025 cap (you weren't 2 months ago) then you could simply restructure now. At least you don't have a gaping hole @edge for the next 2 years.And you still haven't explained how you would extend the 33-year old (soon to be 34) Mack. Are you accepting the $38m cap hit and rolling him bacl out there 2024...? Or are you extending the $15.3m restructure bonus out over 2 years and paying him an additional $20m/year (his market value right now)...? Or are you hoping he (and his agent) will accept $10m home-town deal...? Because 2 months ago you were very skeptical that would happen.

You're accepting certain financial truths and ignoring others. You want to portray a 33-year old as indestructible and a 29-year old as a certain impending injury. I'm not buying either. You can't have it both ways.

Any way you look at it... you've got $15.3m (on 1 year left) to spread out for Mack... and $14.4m (over 2 years left) to spread out on Bosa. And Mack is 4 years older. Do you expect 17 sacks from Khalil next year...? Do either of them fit Minter's defense...?
                If you are trading/cutting Bosa this year (Post-June 1st) then you are indeed kicking $7+m onto the 2025 cap. No, that 7.6m is already on the books. I am not increasing that number. The number is there. It is locked in. I am not creating more dead cap space. It is just accounting - do you want the whole $22.2m in 2024 or do you want it spread $14.6 and $7.6 -- which is how it is set up today. Look at OTC - I sent a screen shot earlier. That 22.2 is not going away. And your number of 14.4m is wrong - the number is 22.2m

And you still haven't explained how you would extend the 33-year old (soon to be 34) Mack. Are you accepting the $38m cap hit and rolling him bacl out there 2024​...? Or are you extending the $15.3m restructure bonus out over 2 years. The Chargers cannot touch the $15.3 signing bonus acrrual for Mack - that is locked in. They cannot touch that. As for the contract for Mack - I wrote that earlier for Allen and Mack in a post above

When I talk about pushing cap - it is for the current bonus and base salaries of the contract. Not money that is already in my view is "dead cap." I get the term dead cap is usually associated with a player not on the roster - but for all intents and purposes, the Chargers - between Williams, Allen, Mack and Bosa have a total of $54m of "amortized signing bonus already paid and not being accrued" or "dead". When you add that to the current $24m of true dead cap - thats $80m of the $255m already accounted for on monies paid to players but now the bill is coming due!​

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

If you are trading/cutting Bosa this year (Pre-June 1st) then you are eating the $14m this year... and you will be clear of the whole $14m next year. If you are trading/cutting Bosa this year (Post-June 1st) then you are indeed kicking $7+m onto the 2025 cap. You will have $7+m less cap for 2025. If you are OK with $7+m extra on the 2025 cap (you weren't 2 months ago) then you could simply restructure now. At least you don't have a gaping hole @edge for the next 2 years. And you still haven't explained how you would extend the 33-year old (soon to be 34) Mack. Are you accepting the $38m cap hit and rolling him bacl out there 2024...? Or are you extending the $15.3m restructure bonus out over 2 years and paying him an additional $20m/year (his market value right now)...? Or are you hoping he (and his agent) will accept $10m home-town deal...? Because 2 months ago you were very skeptical that would happen.

Mack fits the defense. Can still set an edge well. Can still get to the QB for sacks and forced fumbles. And is still a leader who shows up everyday and let's his actions speak for themselves. He is a Harbaugh Minter type player for sure.

Bosa is a bad bet at his price. Only 3 times did he play 16 games in 8 seasons. That's a big enough sample size to say it's very likely he miss games in 2024. Bosa has combined 14 tackles for loss in last 3 years 2021-2023

​​​​​Mack has 8 season of starting every game in 10 years.
                  Mack had 21 tackles for loss in 2023. That 7 more than Bosa had in last 3 seasons.

​​​​Mack can easily play great for 2024 and 2025.
                  His game has never been about speed. So it's not like he will lose a step and fall of cliff. He is simply a physical presence on the edge that will make you pay if you try to block him all day with just 1 guy. He doesnt make mental mistakes. He is as solid of an edge as there is in NFL. First ballot hall of famer.

Joey Bosa career is not hall of fame worthy at all. Overrated.
                  Horrible ROI. Telesco specialty. 35 mil for 9 starts over last 2 years. And his playoff meltdown.

​​​​​
                  Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

The Mack extension isn't really an extension, it's just an opportunity to clear a bit over 11mil in cap space for 2024 and it pushes 11mil into 2025 as dead cap and that's when he'll hit free agency...instead of paying him his 5.7mil roster bonus in a few weeks you add a void year and give him the bulk of his 17.6mil salary and the roster bonus as a 22mil signing bonus then you spread that total over 2024 and 2025...that will drop his cap hit from 38mil to 27mil...

and Mack would be happy basically getting his money up front and guaranteed but still highly motivated to put good tape out there in his contract year...if he goes over 10 sacks again, we're getting a 3rd round comp for him in 2026 or you could trade him now and get rid of our best edge player which creates a massive hole and leaves the team dependent on Joey Bosa having his first full season in years...

so I'd rather have Mack and a 3rd in 2026 than a 3rd this year and no Mack, the dead cap money is not even half of what we are dealing with this year...it's doable and he'd be completely off the books by Harbaugh's 3rd season giving the team time to find a replacement either in this draft or the next...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

The Mack extension isn't really an extension, it's just an opportunity to clear a bit over 11mil in cap space for 2024 and it pushes 11mil into 2025 as dead cap and that's when he'll hit free agency...instead of paying him his 5.7mil roster bonus in a few weeks you add a void year and give him the bulk of his 17.6mil salary and the roster bonus as a 22mil signing bonus then you spread that total over 2024 and 2025...that will drop his cap hit from 38mil to 27mil...

and Mack would be happy basically getting his money up front and guaranteed but still highly motivated to put good tape out there in his contract year...if he goes over 10 sacks again, we're getting a 3rd round comp for him in 2026 or you could trade him now and get rid of our best edge player which creates a massive hole and leaves the team dependent on Joey Bosa having his first full season in years...

so I'd rather have Mack and a 3rd in 2026 than a 3rd this year and no Mack, the dead cap money is not even half of what we are dealing with this year...it's doable and he'd be completely off the books by Harbaugh's 3rd season giving the team time to find a replacement either in this draft or the next...
                      All it would take is a team like the Bills to write a Von Miller contract - which they probably regret doing now

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

OK, question.

Can we trade Bosa and designate the trade to go thru after June 1st? And if so, can we get a draft pick for this year doing that or will it have to be for 2025? I know some seemingly shady stuff happens in FA and trades so im asking.
                        If we trade him after June 1st we save 22 mil on the cap.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                          OK, question.

Can we trade Bosa and designate the trade to go thru after June 1st? And if so, can we get a draft pick for this year doing that or will it have to be for 2025? I know some seemingly shady stuff happens in FA and trades so im asking.
                          If we trade him after June 1st we save 22 mil on the cap.
                          Releasing a player June 1 -- like the Dolphins with Xavien Howard - he can sign with a new team when free agency starts but they have to hold the cap hit until June 1. So Howard might sign pretty early in free agency, not before like a player waived (Mason Cole)

Trading a player June 1 - the trade is not official until June 1. So for the Chargers to trade Bosa, a new deal will have to be agreed too or he will be getting his $7m bonus before the trade can be official. So unless they agree to the player drafted - probably would be for a 2025 pick.

the pick would have to be pretty damn high - as the contract is written today - to pay Joey Bosa $7m and wait for the June 1 designation. Paying out the $7m would offset the money you are trying to save by making it a June 1. What is that worth - for Von Miller, the Broncos paid $9m for part of a season for a 2nd and 3rd. Granted with Bosa there is still another $15m to worry about. With Miller it was free and clear. But who knows - Chargers pay $7m, they get the 2nd and 3rd, new team might on ly have to pay Bosa $5-7m - he gets his $12-14m

Comment

Working...
                          X