• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

You are finally admitting to throwing in the towel’ for 2024. So far you keep saying that then denying you said it.
    I don’t think he’s saying that. He probably feels like me where we can still be competitive this season but it’s definitely not a year to go all in again.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
      For the record, Mike Pouncey had recurring hip problems (and surgeries). Bulaga had recurring back issues (along with many other injuries). If Bosa was still having issues with groin and/or foot injuries... then I might lump him together with Pouncey and Bulaga (both of which I was not in favor of signing). But he sprained an ankle last year... a sprained ankle. IIRC, Mack was coming off of a broken leg the prior year before we traded for him. Then he went on and had a career year 2 years later. If Khalil were to break the same leg again... if Joey were to injure his groin again... or the surgically repaired foot were to be re-injured... then we may have a problem. I doubt any team would want to trade for either. But again, it was a sprained ankle... Does Brock come off of our list because he sprained his ankle last year...? Should we dump Slater for his bicep tear...? Do we cut Derwin because he's had two hamstring injuries...?
      What about mike williams, does he get a pass for his injury history too? Let's keep all of them and just play a bunch of backups again next year when KA , Bosa, and MW take turns missing big chunks of the year...I'm not putting Mack into that because he's never had injury marred seasons, the guy has been a warrior then he suffered a serious foot injury like the one Antonio gates had back in the day, I predicted when we traded for him that people needed to be patient with him and because he was older that his second year would be a better indication of what he could do, but he didn't miss a game in 2022 either if I recall correctly even though he was coming back from the surgery to his foot, and then he played all season last year as well...
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• FoutsFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Birmingham AL
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I don’t think he’s saying that. He probably feels like me where we can still be competitive this season but it’s definitely not a year to go all in again.
        It’s exactly what he is saying. I have always said let JH2 and his team decide who stays and goes based on logic and no emotions.

I sincerely doubt JH2 has thrown in the towel for next year.

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

For the record, Mike Pouncey had recurring hip problems (and surgeries). Bulaga had recurring back issues (along with many other injuries). If Bosa was still having issues with groin and/or foot injuries... then I might lump him together with Pouncey and Bulaga (both of which I was not in favor of signing). But he sprained an ankle last year... a sprained ankle. IIRC, Mack was coming off of a broken leg the prior year before we traded for him. Then he went on and had a career year 2 years later. If Khalil were to break the same leg again... if Joey were to injure his groin again... or the surgically repaired foot were to be re-injured... then we may have a problem. I doubt any team would want to trade for either. But again, it was a sprained ankle... Does Brock come off of our list because he sprained his ankle last year...? Should we dump Slater for his bicep tear...? Do we cut Derwin because he's had two hamstring injuries...?
          Yes, get rid of all the expensive gimps. You forgot the JC Jackson fiasco as well...The only player that gets any kind of reprieve is your QB...this is why I absolutely hate all this guaranteed money. Sure...pay for half of their salary if they go down for the season. But having to pay all this stuff for multiple years is just too much. We have reached the apex of guaranteed money folly in the NFL. Now we need solid risk assessment in determining if a player is WORTH the RISK! Last season we ended up playing with a bunch of scrubs due to all the gambling of Telesco and Staley playing with the Spanos money and not really caring about the damage they were doing. Even KA has been injured multiple games during the season for the past two seasons. The only player worth keeping is Mack and maybe Derwin cause he's paid for.
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

gonna wholeheartedly disagree w/you on this one Nutty, as personally suspect that mindset has a whole lot to do w/people's injury bugs, and if someone has a history of injuries, don't think it's a good idea to wipe their slate clean and say there is zero percent chance I know what's ahead for that person....

and yeah, Keenan and some others have learned how to better play the NFL game and avoid putting them so much in harm's way, and still.... the majority of players health follows a pattern, and mostly I suspect due to their mindset, and....

in the case of Bosa what we also don't know about is his supplements/enhancements program, and of which again there is a long history of athletes finding supplements that boost their performance, but as rapidly as their bodies improved, they break down just as rapidly, and.... there's not a darn thing they can do about it.... the damage has already been done.

so if you or someone is telling me that I shouldn't be making educated guesses on the likes of a Pouncey or Bulga or Bosa.... just gonna disagree.
            That said one has to wonder why you want to keep signing Denzel who is now 31 with a wide injury history.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

It's always something new with Bosa. Hamstring, concussions, groin, foot, had a finger or hand problem early...next might be a knee. It's always something.

Imo he is a risk and ONLY with a reduced salary is he maybe worth that risk. If he don't want a lower salary, then trade him.
              Id rather take the draft pick knowing both are rolling the dice but at least the draft pick will be cheaper.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Your advice is too late. Hertiz, Harbaugh and Co represent the biggest plunge in Chargers history.

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

That said one has to wonder why you want to keep signing Denzel who is now 31 with a wide injury history.
                  fair point, and obviously I like the guy, and think he played in 12 games last year, and me thinx we have a need for a thumper @LB, and so yeah.... I got $2m for him if he wants to be a Charger again,

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

It’s exactly what he is saying. I have always said let JH2 and his team decide who stays and goes based on logic and no emotions.

I sincerely doubt JH2 has thrown in the towel for next year.
                    Not its not what I am saying at all. Who is throwing in the towel just because I want to spend money on players other than Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack. I have already said that I want 10 draft picks, 8 by the 5th round. The team has a lot of holes to fill and I don't think its wise t blow their wad and recreate a 2022 offseason where Telesco and Staley pushed a helluva lot of chips and came up with a 5-12 team two years later. I have said that if I can spend money on a player like Wilkins or Madubuike, it would be a better use of funds than paying Bosa again and even Mack because more likely they will not decline in a year or two

Another thing to consider is that maybe Harbaugh and Hortiz actually need to SEE the players on the field in real games to truly evaluate what they have and don't have. My plan is this

1) get draft picks
                    2) target one or maybe two players in free agency that really fill need positions. Maybe like a Center or whatever
                    3) the rest of free agency sign free agent players, in the second and third year to one year prove it deals - fill in a lot of positions: Center, TE, RB, IDL, LB, maybe another position in free agency
                    3) clean up the cap and limit the Eric Kendricks type signings

Coach them up, compete in 2024 and a year from now in free agency - Hortiz and Harbaugh will have a clearer picture of what they need both in terms of free agency and the draft.

I don't want to use free agency to build the roster - I want to use the draft.

Do you think Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell were quitters going into the 2022 season? Results turned out pretty good - didn't they. Went to the NFL Championship where the Chargers were home playing pocket pool

Comment

• FoutsFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Birmingham AL
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Not its not what I am saying at all. Who is throwing in the towel just because I want to spend money on players other than Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack. I have already said that I want 10 draft picks, 8 by the 5th round. The team has a lot of holes to fill and I don't think its wise t blow their wad and recreate a 2022 offseason where Telesco and Staley pushed a helluva lot of chips and came up with a 5-12 team two years later. I have said that if I can spend money on a player like Wilkins or Madubuike, it would be a better use of funds than paying Bosa again and even Mack because more likely they will not decline in a year or two

Another thing to consider is that maybe Harbaugh and Hortiz actually need to SEE the players on the field in real games to truly evaluate what they have and don't have. My plan is this

1) get draft picks
                      2) target one or maybe two players in free agency that really fill need positions. Maybe like a Center or whatever
                      3) the rest of free agency sign free agent players, in the second and third year to one year prove it deals - fill in a lot of positions: Center, TE, RB, IDL, LB, maybe another position in free agency
                      3) clean up the cap and limit the Eric Kendricks type signings

Coach them up, compete in 2024 and a year from now in free agency - Hortiz and Harbaugh will have a clearer picture of what they need both in terms of free agency and the draft.

I don't want to use free agency to build the roster - I want to use the draft.

Do you think Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell were quitters going into the 2022 season? Results turned out pretty good - didn't they. Went to the NFL Championship where the Chargers were home playing pocket pool
                      We had a handicap that is now an advantage. JH2, drafting a ton of rookies makes it hard to compete next year. What I and others are saying is don’t take it personal and use the draft to fill holes that exist now without creating more holes at critical positions. Take a year to phase out of one edge then another.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Yup, lotsa options.

”I have said I don't need to win in 2024” said B4K. That’s a pretty different place than the rest of us. Harbaugh too. Winning always has to be what’s needed, for every team, every season. Otherwise why suit up, why sell tickets?
                        What is your plan? Oh yes, its keep Khalil Mack and sign a bunch of UDFAs

good plan - really good plan.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

We had a handicap that is now an advantage. JH2, drafting a ton of rookies makes it hard to compete next year. What I and others are saying is don’t take it personal and use the draft to fill holes that exist now without creating more holes at critical positions. Take a year to phase out of one edge then another.
                          Joey Bosa has to be on the field to be a factor. He hasn't been for the last two years. Why are you not grasping that concept

Second - what if you spend the money allocated for Mack and Bosa and use it on other players and make your team better? Do you understand that can happen - that Hortiz can use the funds better to build a better team

here is the thing - I am not afraid of whats behind Door #2. I have seen enough of this group to know I want to move on and rebuild this team.

Comment

Working...
                          X