• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
    If the Chargers cut/trade Mack/Bosa, it won't be because any emotional harm that has been perpetrated upon them... only certain Chargers fans care remotely about helmet throws and Raisin Brand. There is a 0% chance of predicting Bosa/Mack's health/unhealth. If people are making decisions based on that kind of stuff... they should not be making decisions.

These decisions will be made with 2 things in mind. 1) Do they fit what Jesse Minter wants to do at EDGE. 2) What is my return on investment.

They don't seem to fit what Minter did in 2023. Derrick Moore, Jaylen Harrell, Braiden McGregor could all drop into coverage. But they seem pretty close to what he had with Ojabo and Hutchinson. Hutchinson's game was more akin to Bosa/Mack's style of play... pure pass rusher and strong against the run.

Minter likes to use his OLB's to "tie the DL and secondary together"... meaning that at least one (if not 2) OLB's will have to drop into coverage. IMO, Bosa could be Minter's "Hutchinson". Do any of the current OLB's have coverage abilities...? IIRC, Rumph played all over Duke's alignments. Now I know some of you have trauma experiences when conversing about Rumph... but think about this in a way that you only consider his traits within Minter's scheme. Minter has his OLB's (see Jaylen Harrell) cover the outside flats (in zone) and bracket slot receivers by dropping into middle coverage. They also have to be occasional pass rushers.

IMO, there are some prospects that fit those requirements and happen to be 3rd-5th round prospects... including Jaylen Harrell.

Austin Booker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAnIWly25ps
    Zion Tupuola-Fetui: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwP9brgzbRc
    Khalid Duke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L02FEuhioE4
    Jaylen Harrell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1hWgfZM4Y

Dallas Turner and Laiatu Latu are guys that I've liked for quite a while. Both do multiple things for their teams @OLB. In a trade back scenario, I would have no problem drafting one of these guys @#10-14.

But it must be recognized that Minter got the job done with OLB's that are not highly touted.
    Cutting/trading Bosa/Mack would obviously save money and make posible some free agent pick ups.
    But like others point out... you better have a replacement plan. Emotional hangups are not a qualified reason...
    Mack aside as there is not the injury concern - but if you keep Bosa - you better have a back up plan that isn't a player from the practice squad dumpster diving special as the injury concern cannot be overlooked.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Thats just bull shit. give me a fucking break

My goal is to prepare to have a dominant team from 2025 - 2029 and if it takes level setting this year, signing players that make sense for the next 3-5 years and not just the 2024 season, I am good with it.
      I notice you don’t refute his claim…just sayin’.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Curtis Jacobs
        Penn State
        Round 6

Slotted in behind

Daiyan Henley
        Washington State
        Round 3 '23
        Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2020
          • Oklahoma
          • Send PM

Some of us do want to win and be a SB long shot next year, BUT with a younger team minus Bosa and/or Mack.
          If we think that’s possible? Maybe we have more faith than some?🧐

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

You don’t think we need edge rushers? I’ll disagree. top Edge Rushers make > $20M for a real reason, not a whim. his brother is >$30M. Allen will sign for north of $25M Avg. Talking about dead cap is like talking about yesterday’s weather. So what. Joey’s possible cap savings is $14M, so what are you going to do? We could sign Allen and push more of his cap forward, do you want to do that? You haven’t proposed anything yet.

Joey’s 2023 may not be 2024. I don’t know - I’ll trust JH to decide. Joey and Mack aren’t the only humans that can play edge but If you’re getting rid of Joey and Khalil - you have to replace them. If thats your plan then ok, with who? Use the money wisely on who? Yes we also need IDL and LB. I’ve said that too. But IDL and LB with no edge rushers is not a plan.

I see they either keep them, sign a younger high price edge player or they use their #1 pick on edge. Thats a plan, but it means no Alt, no Nabers, no Bowers. Maybe they see that is the best plan, thats ok with me if they do. But you haven’t said what yours is. You said your plan was forget the 2024 season and improve 2025 cap projection, but that will not be the plan as they are not going to concede 2024 imo. Propose a plan that actually is realistic.

Your last statement is emotional, Raisin Bran and offsides - sorry to advise if you don’t recognize it.
            Three Edge Rushers and not IDL, LB and CB is not a plan either.

I never said we don't need Edge Rushers. I just said I think I can use the money better since I cannot rely on Joey bosa to stay healthy. I think a player, if he is not franchised, like Justin Madubuike makes more sense at the AAV Bosa is getting than paying Joey Bosa.

Again, this is where you are short sighted - just because I am moving on from Bosa and Mack - it doesn't mean I need draft Edge at 5. At 5 I would take Alt or Odunze Or Nabers. My preference is to trade down and get more picks so I can Alt or Bowers or Odunze or Nabers and still have more draft picks. I can draft Edge in the 3rd round and sign a player like Van Noy or another veteran for one year

As for Mack and Allen - I earlier wrote what I think they shoudl do with them - give them their 23m, void a couple years - see how they perform. And if based on 2024, they ball out, pay them next year. If not, let them walk. My preference for Mack has been to trade him at his highest market value - because its highly unlikely he will have a career year again at his age. It could happen, but probably not

For Center - I doubt they can get JPJ unless they trade back maybe Frazier in the 2nd; might want to sign a veteran, maybe a guy with the Panthers if released, Bozeman, who used to play for the Ravens.

I have said I don't need to win in 2024 but I WANT to be prepared to win the division from 2025 to 2029.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

I notice you don’t refute his claim…just sayin’.
              I didn't refute his claim because its fucking bull shit

I never said I was quitting on 2024 and for sure on 2025. I just said, I am willing to be patient in 2024 to build the right team for 2025 and beyond

Tell me how many Divisions have the quartet of Mack,. BOsa Allen and Williams have won? Answer - jack shit. I am not breaking up the 1986 Ravens let alone the 2006-2007 Chargers.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Birmingham AL
                • Send PM

Thats just bull shit. give me a fucking break

My goal is to prepare to have a dominant team from 2025 - 2029 and if it takes level setting this year, signing players that make sense for the next 3-5 years and not just the 2024 season, I am good with it.
                You made my point that you have thrown in the towel for 2024. Please tell all of us the quote from JH2 where he said he wrote off 2024 as well.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                  Curtis Jacobs
                  Penn State
                  Round 6

Slotted in behind

Daiyan Henley
                  Washington State
                  Round 3 '23
                  Nice call, my Wu Brother! I was just watching this guy. Does a multitude of things. I like Tatum Bethune later, too.
                  OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

according to the bozos on NFL live, the raiders are targeting Jayden Daniels from LSU so don't se how they manage that without a BIG trade up...
                    Word is Pierce was a coach as ASU when Daniels was there and he really likes him. We'll see if Telesco listens or not. I dont care if they trade 4 or 5 picks to move up to get him.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

You made my point that you have thrown in the towel for 2024. Please tell all of us the quote from JH2 where he said he wrote off 2024 as well.
                      Well B4kknob has already thrown in the towel for 24 and 25 so he only cares about the cap. That and with Bosa it’s personal, maybe Joey called him a bad name or something.

The rest of us want to win now just like JH2.

This is what you responded with. I have never said I would throw in the towel for 2025. So you wrote something that I have never said. And technically I have never said I am writing off 2024. I still do not get how trading Mack and releasing Joey Bosa and Mike Williams is writing off the season but thats on you - not me.

You can believe whatever you want to believe. At least quote me accurately. And you didn't.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Mack aside as there is not the injury concern - but if you keep Bosa - you better have a back up plan that isn't a player from the practice squad dumpster diving special as the injury concern cannot be overlooked.
                        I'll let Minter decide whether Rumph is cut-out for the defensive scheme.
                        But I would definitely be looking for an edge that fits Minter's defense in the draft. It doesn't have to be a 1st or 2nd round prospect... but they should fit the scheme.

Trading back picks up extra picks. Trading players (Mack/Bosa/Fox) picks up picks, too.
                        If the players don't fit the scheme... it doesn't seem wise to keep them. Get what you can... cut the rest.
                        Cutting/trading is a means to pick up a reasonable free agent or two. RB and TE won't cost too much... and those positions are very thin. It doesn't mean forego those positions in the draft... it just allows you to be patient, and not over-draft.

There are some very nice players in the 3rd and 4th rounds. It may take a couple drafts to re-build the roster. But with smart moves, it's not a throw-away year either.
                        OLineCentric

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Word is Pierce was a coach as ASU when Daniels was there and he really likes him. We'll see if Telesco listens or not. I dont care if they trade 4 or 5 picks to move up to get him.
                          Pierce was the coach at ASU before he "quit" - basically asked to leave as he and Herman were doing some shady stuff during COVID and got caught. Herm should have been fired too.

If they want to trade with the Chargers a Trey Lance type deal - I would listen. Doesn't mean I would do it - but would listen at least.

Comment

Working...
                          X