• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • electricgold
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

they can get almost 6mil from restructuring Herbert, it's peanuts in terms of pushing money into the future, but this year? this year 6mil is important to this team, you can potentially keep Gilman with that on a 3 year deal...this year 6mil is important and it means diddly in terms of pushing money into the future...I'll be surprised if they don't do it...
    Or instead of keeping Gilman they could draft safety Kamren Kitchens from Miami if he's on the board in the 2nd and there's our new starting FS, who is an absolute THUMPER and looks like he could be an upgrade at the position!

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Above I mentioned having $25m in free agency - you can do a lot with $25m: Safety + BackupQB + LB + IDL + TE + Center + RB - - for the right players, the Chargers can hit all of these for $25m of NET cap space

Second, I am not pushing cap unless I need to push cap. Granted, the dollars roll over but why create cap dollars unless you need to use the dollars.

Regarding Mack - if the right player comes along, sure - I can rework his contract, give him void years - but truly, if you are signing Mack for one year - let him go now and sign somebody that you are signing for the future., not just one year

Lastly, yhou have just pushed a shit load of cap to 2025 and beyond - serious question - won't you want the money in a year or two when they might actually be in position to win a Super Bowl and not compete for the 7th spot in the AFC
      I don't get it, did you guys really want to get rid of TT? because it sounds like you guys want Hortiz to just run the team exactly the same way that TT did...I don't think Harbaugh is going to be down for that conservative fiscal bullshit, you can make the claim that TT and Co ran one of the most fiscally responsible operations during his tenure and what the fuck did they have to show for it?

I'm not talking about doing what Sean Payton did in NOLA, I'm talking about pushing a bit of dead cap on one guy and getting some room to pick up a handful of free agents to fill out the roster, because right now the whole lot of us are scratching our fucking heads trying to figure out how to fill out this roster with just one draft and it looks damn near impossible to me...they need to clear enough money to keep a couple of guys and then have enough left over to do some wave two free agency after the draft...
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

But what about 2025-2029 when the team will be better?
        6mil spread over the life of his deal fucks us in 2025-2029? really? you're totally fucking with me right now...
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

I don't get it, did you guys really want to get rid of TT? because it sounds like you guys want Hortiz to just run the team exactly the same way that TT did...I don't think Harbaugh is going to be down for that conservative fiscal bullshit, you can make the claim that TT and Co ran one of the most fiscally responsible operations during his tenure and what the fuck did they have to show for it?

I'm not talking about doing what Sean Payton did in NOLA, I'm talking about pushing a bit of dead cap on one guy and getting some room to pick up a handful of free agents to fill out the roster, because right now the whole lot of us are scratching our fucking heads trying to figure out how to fill out this roster with just one draft and it looks damn near impossible to me...they need to clear enough money to keep a couple of guys and then have enough left over to do some wave two free agency after the draft...
          Over paying and stacking a team past sane fiscal responsibility does nothing. Chiefs have been responsible and they're in the Superbowl almost every year. Where have the Saints been? Nothing but pain and heartache in Ainstvile....
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

TT's biggest problem was he was terrible at drafting players and the coaches at developing players. Look at what spending money in free agency and pushing cap did for the team. - I will tell you what. The team was a shitty team with a 5-12 record and picking 5th in the draft and $50m over the cap before Linsley and today That is what happens if you draft shitty and go crazy in free agency

I am not giving up on the season - I never said that. I am just not going bat shit crazy in free agency, pushing a bunch of cap just to push cap.

I want the team to be good from 2025-2029 - and am willign to be patient in 2024. Like yuou said, its going to take more than one draft. So I want to see the cap get figured out, get the 2024 draft class, play the 2024 season, see who improves -- churn the roster - and with a cleaner cap in 2025 - sign free agents and draft 2025

And with a bulk of the roster this year, sign a bunch of bridge guys for one year deals - make good contracts.

And really back to Mack, if you are just doing a one year deal to release next year with a dead cap hit of $12-15m - that just means you get rid of him this year.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

6mil spread over the life of his deal fucks us in 2025-2029? really? you're totally fucking with me right now...
              Not if you include
              Allen
              James
              herbert
              Mack

you are easily at 40m

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Over paying and stacking a team past sane fiscal responsibility does nothing. Chiefs have been responsible and they're in the Superbowl almost every year. Where have the Saints been? Nothing but pain and heartache in Ainstvile....
                I want to be in a position to push the cap when I have been in the playoffs and won a play off game and maybe have gotten to an AFC title game and are ready to win

and not ready to maybe back into the 7th spot

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

The Chiefs push the cap to the limit every year too. All teams that are talent heavy do.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

why wouldn't you restructure Herbert and Derwin? this is expected of big contract guys that the team still wants longterm, everyone does this, Patrick mahomes gets restructured every year in KC, why would Herbert be any different and the players like doing it because they get money up front...a simple restructure of both guys opens up like 13mil in cap space...honestly I can't imagine the team not doing it especially now with the new revenue figures coming in, the cap will once again go up like 30 mil again next year, we could see our first 60-65mil per year QB in the next 12 months...
                    Can’t speak on Derwin’s contract but Justin’s extension last year specifically lowered his cap hit this year (maybe because it’s still using his rookie numbers?) so restructuring it would have minimal impact.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

The Chiefs push the cap to the limit every year too. All teams that are talent heavy do.
                      Chargers aren't talent heavy and have some players making a lot of money for the (lack of) production.

Comment

• electricgold
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2020
                        • Send PM

The master key to this is being very selective when replacing a player that is on the roster now with a player Harbaugh and Hortiz feels is a fit IE if you get rid of Ekeler replace him with Jalen Wright, if you get rid of Mike Williams replace him with Nabors, if you get rid of our TE replace him with Bowers or Ben Sinnott, if you get rid of our free safety replace him with Kitchens, If you get rid of Joshua Kelley replace him with Barkley etc. etc. Etc.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

The master key to this is being very selective when replacing a player that is on the roster now with a player Harbaugh and Hortiz feels is a fit IE if you get rid of Ekeler replace him with Jalen Wright, if you get rid of Mike Williams replace him with Nabors, if you get rid of our TE replace him with Bowers or Ben Sinnott, if you get rid of our free safety replace him with Kitchens, If you get rid of Joshua Kelley replace him with Barkley etc. etc. Etc.
                          Of if you get rid of Everett and replace him with a better block TE that can also catch the ball. May not have the YAC ability that Everett has but other skills
                          If you move on from Parham - maybe you sign Trautman or Swaim

Plus - its not "well we traded Bosa so we have to draft or sign Edge with his money and draft pick" - . Maybe you are able to get a CB with the draft pick and sign IDL and LB with his dollars

The roster needs a lot - so just work on getting better across the board and if you take a step back at Edge but improve IDL and LB -- you might be better off in the long run. Granted, when the guy isn't even on the field, what are you losing?

Comment

Working...
                          X