• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I've seen Gilman get burned too many times at FS...just doesn't have the top end speed to keep up with the really fast wideouts...yep, Alohi does his best work at SS...hence my banging the table for a real FS...hope someone steps up...AND TACKLES...
    (U hear that, Woods?)
    Woods has elite speed, good ball skills, needs to learn to slow down when he's lining up a tackle. But I like Gilman, totally reliable minus top speed.
    I'd like to think Minter, Clinksdale and O'Leary can teach and scheme pass D better than the last DC. I sure as hell hope so. I don't believe anything they did under Staley was their best possible game.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

JH2 gave him a $10M 2 yr contract with $4.5M sign bonus. It is a bit backloaded to the 2nd yr but he's a $2.25M cap hit to cut next year. They obviously like him more than some here do.

I agree he doesnt have top speed, but I'm not sure how many of his "burns"s were really The Staley Effect. FS's are supposed to play deep enough to counter WR speed. Some of those plays are likely mass assignment breakdowns, given that was the dominant Staley Fail his entire tenure.

I'm also not yet seeing him in this Mr Inside The Box vision when James who is one of the very best Inside The Box Safeties in the league. They aren't putting two safeties up near the line except in obvious run situations, where they might bring in another LB, I would think? idunno - will watch and see.

We are not signing Aiyuk as a FA; no way we trade valuable pick(s) for that honor. no way. not gonna happen.
      I definitely do not want to see Alohi playing single high FS...but...if it's that two-deep FS package, I think he would fare better...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        JH3 and Me
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Woods has elite speed, good ball skills, needs to learn to slow down when he's lining up a tackle. But I like Gilman, totally reliable minus top speed.
        I'd like to think Minter, Clinksdale and O'Leary can teach and scheme pass D better than the last DC. I sure as hell hope so. I don't believe anything they did under Staley was their best possible game.
        I think its premature to count out Woods. Can't Teach Speed. he's never had good coaching and it showed. TBD with real coaches and a scheme that can be understood. long shot but a shot.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

This would be 21 minutes well spent. You will be infinitely smarter in your OL critiques after listening.
          Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I think its premature to count out Woods. Can't Teach Speed. he's never had good coaching and it showed. TBD with real coaches and a scheme that can be understood. long shot but a shot.
            Dean Marlowe starting games over Woods tells you one of two things:

* Woods was so bad that Staley went with someone who was a marginal starting safety at his peak, well on the downward skid
            * Staley's defense was so confusing that they had to bring in the physically limited, hyper experienced (30+) Marlowe to damp down on the confusion

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Dean Marlowe starting games over Woods tells you one of two things:

* Woods was so bad that Staley went with someone who was a marginal starting safety at his peak, well on the downward skid
              * Staley's defense was so confusing that they had to bring in the physically limited, hyper experienced (30+) Marlowe to damp down on the confusion
              I notice that you refer to Staley as an authority on safety play.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

Automatic DQ right there . . . . . .

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

And don't forget cornerbacks .... I still remember coach Staley focused on teaching corner techniques to the rookie cbs, D Leanard & J Taylor during training camp.

Defensive backs coach must have been thrilled.

He was also a big fan of JC Jackson. There was a video of him applying a tongue bath to JC upon their first meeting at Charger park .... an all around corner Staley labeled him.

Need any more proof?

If Woods was in the BS dog house, there was a good reason.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

And don't forget cornerbacks .... I still remember coach Staley focused on teaching corner techniques to the rookie cbs, D Leanard & J Taylor during training camp.

He was also a big fan of JC Jackson. There was a video of him applying a tongue bath to JC upon their first meeting at Charger park .... an all around corner Staley labeled him.

Need any more proof?

He didn't like tongue baths?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      JH3 and Me
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

He didn't like tongue baths?
                      You’re on the scent …

Dog Love GIF
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                        Moderate Skeptic
                        • May 2022
                        • Send PM

Need any more proof?

Based on all of the above Woods is our next superstar . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                          Beef Before Gazelles
                          • May 2021
                          • Send PM

There are so few examples of guys who become 'Somebody' in the NFL after doing NOTHING in their first 2-3 years that it is, IMO, entirely safe to say that players like Spiller and Woods have *no* realistic shot at making the team.

If they do? Good for them! It's just that the statistical likelihood is really small.

The main Charger-related player who comes to mind as a 'late bloomer' was Yancy Thigpen. He did nothing as a rookie for the Bolts in 1991, and was released. He went on to play 6 seasons for the Steelers, and three for the Titans. His season high for catches was 85.

Comment

Working...
                          X