• Show
Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Did you read about this somewhere?
    If you look at his strengths vs weaknesses, it's an ideal projection to FS.
    I mentioned this in his welcome thread and with his experience at both CB spots, he's someone who never leaves the field.
    During OTAs, I read a report that detailed which position groups particular players were working with, and Still was mentioned as working with the safeties.

I really like that Still has-- as you mention-- the skill set that makes him so versatile that he'll rarely have to come off the field. He's an excellent tackler, too. I'm pretty geeked about seeing him in preseason games.

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

During OTAs, I read a report that detailed which position groups particular players were working with, and Still was mentioned as working with the safeties.

I really like that Still has-- as you mention-- the skill set that makes him so versatile that he'll rarely have to come off the field. He's an excellent tackler, too. I'm pretty geeked about seeing him in preseason games.
      Makes sense because we have a number of options for Nickle but not as many for FS.
      I maintain that Woods is out asap. And I while I think Alohi can stay at FS, he's more valuable in the box.
      Still can eventually, legitimately start at FS at some point with Jefferson backing him up. I can see Minter starting the season the other way around.
      Darius "4.36" Davis
      top play speed: 23.47 MPH

SDP Magic Number 3

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

I was hoping we'd hear positive reports about Cam Hart from mini-camps and OTAs, but I didn't hear a peep.

Tarheeb Still has received quite a bit of positive press, but I believe he's being looked at as a FS, not CB. Still will probably make J.T. Woods expendable.
        I heard a peep somewhere .... they liked what they saw from Cam Hart.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Where did you learn this, pbb ?
          Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500;n1746ide100

Did you read about this somewhere?
            If you look at his strengths vs weaknesses, it's an ideal projection to FS.
            I mentioned this in his welcome thread and with his experience at both CB spots, he's someone who never leaves the field.

This . . . . . . . .. we need another good safety to take DJ's place when he drops down around the LOS. ATM we're (optimistically) adequate at best on the outside . . . . . . . if we stand pat with this group the pass rush better be very good . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
              Beef Before Gazelles
              • May 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Please share this peep. Who said what about Cam Hart?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Please share this peep. Who said what about Cam Hart?
                I can't remember and I briefly searched for it.

I do remember that it came from someone in the coaching staff, either directly or indirectly,
                and that the assessment came after the glowing report of Tarheeb Still's camp ...... kind of in the Cam Hart also looks good mode.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Makes sense because we have a number of options for Nickle but not as many for FS.
                  I maintain that Woods is out asap. And I while I think Alohi can stay at FS, he's more valuable in the box.
                  Still can eventually, legitimately start at FS at some point with Jefferson backing him up. I can see Minter starting the season the other way around.
                  I've seen Gilman get burned too many times at FS...just doesn't have the top end speed to keep up with the really fast wideouts...yep, Alohi does his best work at SS...hence my banging the table for a real FS...hope someone steps up...AND TACKLES...
                  (U hear that, Woods?)

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

This . . . . . . . .. we need another good safety to take DJ's place when he drops down around the LOS. ATM we're (optimistically) adequate at best on the outside . . . . . . . if we stand pat with this group the pass rush better be very good . . . . . . . .
                    I saw a stat that the Bolts dropped Derwin into deep safety about 30% of the time last season...if we can somehow get TWO good FS's, to split the field in certain packages, that will free Derwin up to stay in the box most of the time...

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

congrats to Joey.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Aiyuk is very good and very explosive.

McConkey is merely a promising rookie, but also can be called explosive.

I disagree about Palmer vs Aiyuk re blocking, but my main point was about roles, redundancy and price.

We prolly agree more than it seems.

Also let me say I am itching for a healthy Joey Bosa with Khalil, and add on a strong, strong rotation with Tuli and Bud.

That will really help with apparent DB deficiencies.
                        Oh yes, I see what you are saying and yes, both thinking the same thing. I think Aiyuk is a good player but at the cost to get him - not worth it. I also am not sure Hortiz is going to change course from a roster building perspective. Could be wrong. Now somebody like Gilmore at CB- that makes sense to me,

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          JH3 and Me
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I've seen Gilman get burned too many times at FS...just doesn't have the top end speed to keep up with the really fast wideouts...yep, Alohi does his best work at SS...hence my banging the table for a real FS...hope someone steps up...AND TACKLES...
                          (U hear that, Woods?)
                          JH2 gave him a $10M 2 yr contract with $4.5M sign bonus. It is a bit backloaded to the 2nd yr but he's a $2.25M cap hit to cut next year. They obviously like him more than some here do.

I agree he doesnt have top speed, but I'm not sure how many of his "burns"s were really The Staley Effect. FS's are supposed to play deep enough to counter WR speed. Some of those plays are likely mass assignment breakdowns, given that was the dominant Staley Fail his entire tenure.

I'm also not yet seeing him in this Mr Inside The Box vision when James who is one of the very best Inside The Box Safeties in the league. They aren't putting two safeties up near the line except in obvious run situations, where they might bring in another LB, I would think? idunno - will watch and see.

We are not signing Aiyuk as a FA; no way we trade valuable pick(s) for that honor. no way. not gonna happen.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X