• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I don't agree with this at all, this phase is critical for installing all the new stuff that they will be doing in the coming season, right now the guys that are getting looked at the most are the ones that are showing that they grasp the new concepts best and those same guys should have a head start heading into training camp...
    Disagree all you want.

OTAs means nothing in terms of a player winning a possition. I said your bolded and your bolded isn't exactly right. It's not real critical but it matters because we have a new staff and why we get extra practices from the league.
    They are learning their schemes and assignments right now. Trying different things with the players.
    Switching on and off with others getting first team reps and going thru their new training routines with Ben. There is no tackling, no blocking, no pads. Just learning.

They will learn a lot more in TC as well. They won't have everything thrown at them in OTAs. The earlier OTAs aren't even mandatory.

You think Pipkins is going to win the RG job from OTAs?
    No....he will win it from TC and in preseason. They will also move a couple or few OL guys around in TC and PS well in a game to see how they do.

Just facts.

I'll guarantee you this,....there will be NO jobs won from OTAs. That is a fact.
    If you don't believe that then just go look at our depth chart.
    Nobody is winning anything right now, so saying "he is clearly the winner at OTAs" is just crazy talk. Jaimes is listed as our starting OC right now. RG is empty.

Last edited by Boltjolt; 06-08-2024, 03:01 PM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

You can say that about yourself.

For the players it's the beginning of a new team and a new year..Any players who haven't started with the rest of the team are way behind those who have been there every day.
      As I said in my last post, no starting jobs will be determined in these OTAs. No making the team will be determined in these OTAs unless you really aren't showing you belong in their scheme.

Somin that regard, Imo OTAs don't mean shit as stated by someone that someone is clearly better in OTAs in their shorts and helmets lol.

Hogwash!
      I read someone say on Twitter that Nabers will be ROTY based on a nice catch he made in OTAs with no game planning or hitting going on

Someone else showing Tua making a throw with no DL on the field and saying he will be MVP .....sorry, I don't buy OTA hype. It's just boredom time for fans.

You know back in the earlier days, TC used to be for getting in shape lol.
      Now OTAs is a part of that and working out together in the weight room plus players do it more year round.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Disagree all you want.

OTAs means nothing in terms of a player winning a possition. I said your bolded and your bolded isn't exactly right. It's not real critical but it matters because we have a new staff and why we get extra practices from the league.
        They are learning their schemes and assignments right now. Trying different things with the players.
        Switching on and off with others getting first team reps and going thru their new training routines with Ben. There is no tackling, no blocking, no pads. Just learning.

They will learn a lot more in TC as well. They won't have everything thrown at them in OTAs. The earlier OTAs aren't even mandatory.

No....he will win it from TC and in preseason. They will also move a couple or few OL guys around in TC and PS well in a game to see how they do.

Just facts.

I'll guarantee you this,....there will be NO jobs won from OTAs. That is a fact. If you don't believe that then first, I'll ask .....how long hane you been.following football?
        And second,....just go look at our depth chart.
        Nobody is winning anything right now, so saying "he is clearly the winner at OTAs" is just crazy talk.

Those low on the totem pole who aren't quite catching on will still be here but will be cut first.
        Okay, so OTA's aren't exactly CRITICAL, but they ARE very helpful...does that sound about right?

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Okay, so OTA's aren't exactly CRITICAL, but they ARE very helpful...does that sound about right?
          Helpful of course. Especially when you have a whole new staff. Helps get in shape and learn but it determines nothing as far as who will start or even making the team right now. But guys like Woods who they know hasn't played a down can make an impression going.into TC.

I get fans are excited this year as I am but how many OTAs have we been thru? We know it don't mean much. We are just bored and want things to talk about.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Disagree all you want.

Just facts.

I'll guarantee you this,....there will be NO jobs won from OTAs. That is a fact. If you don't believe that then first, I'll ask .....how long hane you been.following football?
            And second,....just go look at our depth chart.
            Nobody is winning anything right now, so saying "he is clearly the winner at OTAs" is just crazy talk.

Those low on the totem pole who aren't quite catching on will still be here but will be cut first.
            Some players have lost their jobs in OTAs, probably not being brought back.

More to your point.cut to 53 was Aug 29 last year and we signed 16 practice squad.One foreign player Okoye who I think retains his special status this year.
            The coaches have some definite impressions on who they want based on OTA participation and performance and who they would like to replace with a FA. That's the reality. There will be a few depth positions won or lost in training camp and preseaon.
            A majority of starters and immediate backups have their jobs locked down. To day. It's theirs to lose. Barring injury, it's depth positions, prac squad being fought over in the last few days.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Helpful of course. Especially when you have a whole new staff. Helps get in shape and learn but it determines nothing as far as who will start or even making the team right now. But guys like Woods who they know hasn't played a down can make an impression going.into TC.

I get fans are excited this year as I am but how many OTAs have we been thru? We know it don't mean much. We are just bored and want things to talk about.
              I agree that jobs aren't won but impressions are made. TC and pre season will determine the starters for week 1. And that may be subje t to change as the season goes on.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Disagree all you want.

Just facts.

I'll guarantee you this,....there will be NO jobs won from OTAs. That is a fact.
                If you don't believe that then just go look at our depth chart.
                Nobody is winning anything right now, so saying "he is clearly the winner at OTAs" is just crazy talk. Jaimes is listed as our starting OC right now. RG is empty.
                Okay, if OTAs don't mean anything, be honest, if you were putting money right now on who starts at RG, who would you put your $ on, Pipkins or Salyer?
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Okay, if OTAs don't mean anything, be honest, if you were putting money right now on who starts at RG, who would you put your $ on, Pipkins or Salyer?
                  A bunch of starters aren't likely to lose their job in OTAs, that's for sure. Maybe 5 depth positions on offense, 8 on defense will be decided in TC and PS IMO, plus everyone on prac squad.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                    A lot of randomly untethered guesses going on around here, let me correct y’all:
                    • Pipkins feet are nothing like Flukers. That is a horrible comparison. PipLongStockings are much better than Flukerboats
                    • Pipkins has the inside track for starting RG and is in the clear lead. It’s not locked but they are not focusing on him because they expect he’s worse. 2024 LAC coaches don’t play those games, you’re thinking of a different staff
                    • Pipkins is the more athletic of the RG options. Haters gonna hate, just go back to his 2022 tape and you will see it. Fact is he played better than Salyer last year, he’s shown more in OTAs, and he worked his ass off to continue to improve.
                    • Salyer is strong fave for #1 swing off the bench.
                    • Barnhart ain’t coming in and beating both Pipkins and Salyer for a starting job. Ain’t happening, no way. its 50/50 he’s on the roster as deep backup
                    • Sarrell sucks. I don’t care if he went to cookouts at Greg’s house and drove his kids to school, he ain’t beating out Pip or Sal, but he could survive over Barnhart. If you guys didn’t see his limited but catastrophic 2023 work, go back and watch it again. It’s also on the tape.
                    I’m actually more interested to see how much Zion transformed this off season. Dude is a monster now.

Glad to hep ya fellas out … have a wonderful day
                    If Storm Norton beats you out @RT in your 3rd year of "development"... you have a foot-speed problem.
                    If your team throws a rookie 6th-round guard prospect out there @LT when your starter goes down... you have a foot-speed problem.
                    I'm not sure what you were watching in 2022... maybe we just have different standards. Joe Alt was drafted for a reason.

BoltJolt is right... OTA's are for installment only.
                    Full speed practices and pre-season games will give us a better idea.
                    I have no expectations or evaluations to give at this time. Let them compete.

Thanks for the Hep. Hopefully Harbaugh is the cure.

OLineCentric

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep . . . . . . . . . and very PC too !

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

TT gave us the Clapp
                        Now Dmac is giving us the Hep
                        We're cursed
                        OLineCentric

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

As I said in my last post, no starting jobs will be determined in these OTAs. No making the team will be determined in these OTAs unless you really aren't showing you belong in their scheme.

Somin that regard, Imo OTAs don't mean shit as stated by someone that someone is clearly better in OTAs in their shorts and helmets lol.

Hogwash!
                          I read someone say on Twitter that Nabers will be ROTY based on a nice catch he made in OTAs with no game planning or hitting going on

Someone else showing Tua making a throw with no DL on the field and saying he will be MVP .....sorry, I don't buy OTA hype. It's just boredom time for fans.

You know back in the earlier days, TC used to be for getting in shape lol.
                          Now OTAs is a part of that and working out together in the weight room plus players do it more year round.
                          Are you saying that guys like Herbert, Slater, Zion, Bozeman, Pipkins, Alt, Edwards, Dobbins, Vidal, etc, etc might not make the team until they prove themselves in TC and PS?
                          Pure A bullshit.
                          The only way they don't make the team, very probably as starters is injury. The coaches have a damn good idea based on what they know about them today..

I would agree that rookie draft picks don't win ROTY in OTAS.

Comment

Working...
                          X