• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think I said it about Aiyuk or Justin Jefferson at WR when you can draft MHJr or Nabers at 5
    but the same thing applies to Pipkins --you can draft somebody that will probably be close to the equal of Pipkins without giving up the draft plus a very cheap contract

That is why draft picks are so important . And I get 6th and 7th rounders are just allowing you the opportunity at UDFAs - but they are getting four year deals. Telescos inability to draft well and the coaches to develop - was a big reason why he had to use free agency to build the roster

No more of that with JH2 - the draft will build the roster and than select free agents, will be used to augment.

As for Pip - it some team wants him - of course I would trade him - even pre June 1. I doubt that happens - but if some team wants him for a 5th rounder this year at the draft, done and done. Others have pointed out, he wasn't the true weak link.
    No, Pip wasn't the weakest link on our O-line last season, but...he WAS ONE of the weak links...not a strong run blocker, and only average in pass pro, with flashes of whiffiness...

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

Long time Minnesota Viking play by play announcer Paul Allen says DEN is desperate to move up and get McCarthy.

They're so desperate out Denver way. I'm not kidding you man. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 'we want that 3 so badly we will give you [pick No.] 12, we will give you next year's 1st-rounder, and we will give you Patrick Surtain II'. I'm not kidding you. They are that desperate"

I wouldn't mind Surtain, but I wouldn't want to be shackled for 2 more years on the hook for $24 mil of his current deal, then years of his next monster contract...or to let him go and have to then replace him...and BTW, why should we help the Donks, anyways?

image.png

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post
        We all can see how weak the offensive line played last year. Funny how it started when we lost Corey. Yes, like most of you, I want a better right tackle. I also want a solid center. I want to see the guards be being and stronger, is McFadden going to get a shot to get a spot on this line? My dream is to get 11 and 27, draft a RT at 11 and a C at 23. If it all starts with the line, let’s go all in on giving us the dominating, nasty, beasts to do it.
        ^ This...RT @#11, and either C or G @#23...then IOL later in mid rounds...

Comment

• LarryAW
          Chargers fan since 1970
          • Sep 2018
          • Chula Vista, CA
          • retired paralegal/court reporter
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Good points...dont agre with all but good points. Nutty does tend to strong arm his opinions and he may or may not be right. We all may or may not be right. There are people on Twitter saying if we dont pick a WR at 5 we are stupid, its a bad pick already, etc....imo those fans dont know our scheme and probably dont know history about our coaches.

However...first......the #5 pick contract will be 32.38 million, not 41. Ive posted the rookie slot pool a handful of times.

Next i do think you over think the draft slot money. Especially for QBs. The league dont really give a shit what it costs to get a QB and why they are over drafted EVERY year and why mediocre QBs like Murray got over fucking paid. Watson got a surely ridiculous contract and Russell Wilson got a ridiculous over paid contract. You think they care about drafting 5th or 10th for a player they love even if it isnt a QB? Sure they may try to trade down for a safety and OG but it doesnt always happen either.

Signing free agents is another thing altogether but in the draft if there is a player they love, i dont think they care if he is 5, 8 or 10 and take a chance on losing out,....they will draft them if thats who they love. They got the draft rookie pool in place for a reason so they cant complain about it....and i dont think they are. No other sport can a team just cut a guy and not have to pay them the duration of that contract.

Dont feel sorry for these billionaires. They can afford it. They ask the public to pay for half or more of their new stadiums then reward you with a $100 tab to park your car to go see them play. Charge you thousands to have a license for the right to get season tickets or seats or whatever its for.

And dont forget...we had 2 WRs making 20 mil...Jax just paid 30m mil per year to resign their edge rusher. They do it to themselves. And No, dont consider safety a premium position. A few have got paid but it isnt near league wide.
          KA had a $23.1M salary + $11.617,500 dead money.

Comment

• Jack Burton
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2023
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I wouldn't mind Surtain, but I wouldn't want to be shackled for 2 more years on the hook for $24 mil of his current deal, then years of his next monster contract...or to let him go and have to then replace him...and BTW, why should we help the Donks, anyways?

image.png
            I’m with you. I specifically said 2 weeks ago that this trade was going to be on the table including Surtain.
            I see DEN, DAL and MIN now in a bidding war with rookie players to get to that 4th QB.
            DEN - Surtain
            DAL- Parsons
            MIN - Addison

There’s a QB tax but there’s also a divisional tax too..
            So if DEN is stuck having to trade with the Chargers Hortiz is fleecing them.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Long time Minnesota Viking play by play announcer Paul Allen says DEN is desperate to move up and get McCarthy.

They're so desperate out Denver way. I'm not kidding you man. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 'we want that 3 so badly we will give you [pick No.] 12, we will give you next year's 1st-rounder, and we will give you Patrick Surtain II'. I'm not kidding you. They are that desperate"

For #3 that's not really that much for being desperate. They gave up much more than that for Wilson.
              For us in div it would have to be 12, 3rd, 4th, 2025 first and Surtain.
              Every year when it gets close the rumors start flying so we'll see how things go.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Broncos are a desperate team because they have an arrogant HC and a GM on the hot seat. What does Paton care about 2025 and moving on from a future 1st rounder and Surtain. As for Sean Payton, he is arrogant enough to not give a crap either if he wants his QB

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

image.png
                  Trade him to a third team - Surtain

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    JH3 and Me
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

I’m with you. I specifically said 2 weeks ago that this trade was going to be on the table including Surtain.
                    I see DEN, DAL and MIN now in a bidding war with rookie players to get to that 4th QB.
                    DEN - Surtain
                    DAL- Parsons
                    MIN - Addison

There’s a QB tax but there’s also a divisional tax too..
                    So if DEN is stuck having to trade with the Chargers Hortiz is fleecing them.
                    This year 2024 he only would cost us $3.5M as Denver already paid his signing bonus. Next year I think? he’s $19M if they exercise the 5th year option as a Rd1 pick, and in 2026 he’s a UFA unless they start tagging him (around $20M+) or negotiate a new contract - which my guess is going to be in the $25M APY range but they could get early year cap savings by the terms of a, say, 4 year deal

He could be afforded, our cap drops next year and in 2026. it would be a commitment to a top dollar CB they have to plan the rest of the roster around starting next year. And we had so much fun with our last high dollar FA CB … I’m unsure, it IS a position that warrants high investment for his caliber of excellence but it’s a big bite to chew. We all know he absolutely will be paid as a top tier CB by someone as soon as he’s allowed.

I don’t want to trade out of #5 with the plan he’s a 1 or 2 year rental though. If we took a deal including Surtain - the plan has to be he’s the DB anchor for the next 5 years.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

This year 2024 he only would cost us $3.5M as Denver already paid his signing bonus. Next year I think? he’s $19M if they exercise the 5th year option as a Rd1 pick, and in 2026 he’s a UFA unless they start tagging him (around $20M+) or negotiate a new contract - which my guess is going to be in the $25M APY range but they could get early year cap savings by the terms of a, say, 4 year deal

He could be afforded, our cap drops next year and in 2026. it would be a commitment to a top dollar CB they have to plan the rest of the roster around starting next year. And we had so much fun with our last high dollar FA CB … I’m unsure, it IS a position that warrants high investment for his caliber of excellence but it’s a big bite to chew. We all know he absolutely will be paid as a top tier CB by someone as soon as he’s allowed.

I don’t want to trade out of #5 with the plan he’s a 1 or 2 year rental though. If we took a deal including Surtain - the plan has to be he’s the DB anchor for the next 5 years.
                      This years 1st + Surtain + next years first might do it for me though...LOL!
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Jump on it.
                        sign him long term as soon as you can because the way the WR market is going, the CBs will follow.
                        Sauce Gardner getting his soon too.
                        PON..weakens a division rival in the window where we can win.
                        golden opportunity.
                        We would also know Denver's QB very well, including Minter knowing exactly how to game plan against him.
                        Darius "4.36" Davis
                        top play speed: 23.47 MPH

SDP Magic Number 3

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Mac, next year's Surtain deal could be doable, but it's that $19 mil the final year that's gonna be a problem when we're barely climbing out of cap hell...think of it--Bosa and Mack took cuts to restructure, and then if we sign Surtain, it could cause some resentment...THEN, it's his NEXT monster deal which would be for MEGABUCKS...I don't know, I don't think it's Trader Joe's style...UNLESS...Hortiz keeps Surtain as a two-year rental, then lets him go for an easy round 3 comp pick...now THAT's something Trader Joe might do, based on his history with the Ravens...

Comment

Working...
                          X