• Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

All true.
    Another reality is that we need to find solutions to our cap situation.
    That not only involves finding some sort of good trade partners,
    but also those who would be willing to pull the trigger,
    while knowing fully well our predicament.

So what if our best options involve trading Mack and Allen for reasonable return,
    instead of getting nothing or next to nothing for Bosa, MW ?
    At least we can have confidence that Jim Harbaugh and Joe Hortiz will get us past the TT/Staley mess ASAP.
    Managing the cap is an every year thing.

Quote me any reasonable FA/rookie combo at EDGE that would net us even 80% of what Mack gave us last year. If there isn’t one, then we gotta figure out how to pay Mack, simple as that. End goal is always, put the best product on the field. Premium play demands premium money for a reason. Seems a lot of posters don’t want that premium EDGE play, or at least don’t want to pay for it. The option is accept lesser play now, and hopefully whatever FA/rookie pick works out at some point in the future. If that’s the standard, let’s jettison Herbert and his broken finger and his humongous contract, get a lesser QB, and spread all that $$$/draft capital among all the other needful positions. Will we win more games? I dunno, I want to keep Herbert but not like his win ratio is Mahomes-like, especially late in the game when just one play from the QB will seal the deal. Lynn, Staley, yeah they sucked, hopefully the JH combo changes that narrative.

But even if it does, we still have the 31 ranked D. God, I write that and my head screams, Keep Mack!!! Whatever it takes!!

But if we don’t, so be it. I’ll put my trust in the exciting new regime and take what comes. But, I’ll expect fewer Ws than if we’d kept Mack. Which I think is fair.

Comment

• Chargers8491
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Managing the cap is an every year thing.

Quote me any reasonable FA/rookie combo at EDGE that would net us even 80% of what Mack gave us last year. If there isn’t one, then we gotta figure out how to pay Mack, simple as that. End goal is always, put the best product on the field. Premium play demands premium money for a reason. Seems a lot of posters don’t want that premium EDGE play, or at least don’t want to pay for it. The option is accept lesser play now, and hopefully whatever FA/rookie pick works out at some point in the future. If that’s the standard, let’s jettison Herbert and his broken finger and his humongous contract, get a lesser QB, and spread all that $$$/draft capital among all the other needful positions. Will we win more games? I dunno, I want to keep Herbert but not like his win ratio is Mahomes-like, especially late in the game when just one play from the QB will seal the deal. Lynn, Staley, yeah they sucked, hopefully the JH combo changes that narrative.

But even if it does, we still have the 31 ranked D. God, I write that and my head screams, Keep Mack!!! Whatever it takes!!

But if we don’t, so be it. I’ll put my trust in the exciting new regime and take what comes. But, I’ll expect fewer Ws than if we’d kept Mack. Which I think is fair.
      I have a strong feeling they will rework Macks, Bosa, and KA's contracts if they want to stay. MW I'm not sure.
      Adopted Bolt: QJ

SEASON: 2024 (WK2)
      REC: 8
      YARDS: 89
      TDS: 2

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

I am a fool for EDGE Rushers. Leslie ONeal is one of my all time favs. Khalil just had two of the best seasons ever by a Charger. I was nearly killed in a car wreck hours after we drafted Joey Bosa.

Now, consider the Ravens methods. They continuously refresh at EDGE when the contracts get to be too much. Matthew Judon left and has been a great Patriot. Za'Darius Smith left and came back a few years later.

We can expect crushing heartaches and I am glad. Telesco would never do this. Oh man. Adrian Phillips. No more dipstick Staley moves with Van Noy.
        Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Hmmmm . . . . . . . . fool me once - shame on you. Fool me twice - I'm an idiot. What would fool me 3 times be??? My main problem with Joey is that he's not reliable or a difference maker. Haven't we been down this road enough times? We need more of a return on our investment than we've gotten - it's time to move on . . . . . . . . .
          Yep...once again, let's review Bosa's record...if you add up all the games Bosa has played, factoring in the 17-game season the past few years, I calculate he has had a possible 130 start opportunities in his 8 years as a Bolt...he has missed a total of 38 games out of 130, which translates to a 29% miss rate due to injuries or his holdout his rook year. This means he has missed nearly a THIRD of all his games. Even more concerning is that as he has gotten older, he appears to be breaking down more, as another poster mentioned. The past TWO seasons, Bosa has missed 21/34 games for a miss rate of 61%. The probability of his missing games at a similar rate seems to be quite high. I hope if he plays for us, he stays healthy, but if we can find the right trading partner, I would prefer that we cut our losses and also lessen his impact on the cap by letting him go. Keep Mack, trade Bosa.

image.png

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Thats it exactly. Too many after the big coach and GM win are falling back into "I don't care about winning other than winning the salary cap SB every year" We have tried the salary cap SB for decades and it got us 0 SB's. Lets try something different now. Keep the star players and win on the field not in the check book.
            Edit; 'Keep the star players that perform' . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
              I am a fool for EDGE Rushers. Leslie ONeal is one of my all time favs. Khalil just had two of the best seasons ever by a Charger. I was nearly killed in a car wreck hours after we drafted Joey Bosa.

Now, consider the Ravens methods. They continuously refresh at EDGE when the contracts get to be too much. Matthew Judon left and has been a great Patriot. Za'Darius Smith left and came back a few years later.

We can expect crushing heartaches and I am glad. Telesco would never do this. Oh man. Adrian Phillips. No more dipstick Staley moves with Van Noy.
              Man, I never understood the Bolts failing to extend Van Noy. He did have 5 sacks with us in 2022, then 9 sacks with the Ravens last season...good pass rushers don't grow on trees...either Van Noy was asking for a bit too much $$$ or maybe Van Noy didn't like Staley's D...or both...

Comment

• FoutsFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Birmingham AL
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Edit; 'Keep the star players that perform' . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                Bosa performs great. He just needs to stay healthy. It will be our luck if we cut him he will play a full season going forward.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

I have to say I am surprised to hear more and more on here that some just want to trot back the over paid 4 big guys and keep mortgaging our future cap.

Harbaugh is good, but he is not a miracle worker and we need some culture change. We have 4 players whose cap hit next year takes up a ridiculous 58% of our cap. With these players we went 5-12. With the most expensive defense we ranked 28th. 2 of the 4 are never on the field. Mack who performs is about to be 33. Allen resign and keep him sure, that makes sense.

There needs to be some changes on this roster and we need our cap healthy for 2025 and beyond.
                  I think bringing back all 4 is tough on our cap. I propose bringing back Keenan and Bosa (I know Bosa isn't popular right now).
                  I propose trading Mack (because the contract is hard to restructure) and cutting MW.

After 2 years... probably time to move on from Bosa and look for a Keenan replacement after 3 years.
                  OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

I can definitely see them focusing on the IDL in free agency and draft. I can even see them either keeping Fox or trying to trade Fox. He’s not their guy, so anything is up in the air. I’d take a 6th for him.

Extend and restructure Mack and sign Uche. You go into the season with Mack, Uche, Tuli and a rookie like Jasheen Davis. Not sure were they stand on Rumph either.

As far as IDL, you sign Maurice Hurst and draft either Sweat, Jenkins or Fiske in the 2nd. So you go into the season with Hurst, Tito, Matlock, Fox and a rookie. And don’t forget Okoye and Clark lurking in the background.

Edge: Mack, Tuli, Uche and J. Davis

IDL: Hurst, Fox, Tito, Matlock, Clark and either Jenkins, Sweat or Fiske
                    Well, I hope Uche is one we don't pursue. At least for his projection that I don't understand. 8.3 mil is too high. He is a backup. ,maybe for half that?

He may have been a Michigan player but for the NFL he is undersized for a edge rusher at 240 and he hasn't been able to crack the starting lineup for the Patriots in his 4 seasons. Maybe BH can get him stronger but I'd pass unless he comes cheap.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...once again, let's review Bosa's record...if you add up all the games Bosa has played, factoring in the 17-game season the past few years, I calculate he has had a possible 130 start opportunities in his 8 years as a Bolt...he has missed a total of 38 games out of 130, which translates to a 29% miss rate due to injuries or his holdout his rook year. This means he has missed nearly a THIRD of all his games. Even more concerning is that as he has gotten older, he appears to be breaking down more, as another poster mentioned. The past TWO seasons, Bosa has missed 21/34 games for a miss rate of 61%. The probability of his missing games at a similar rate seems to be quite high. I hope if he plays for us, he stays healthy, but if we can find the right trading partner, I would prefer that we cut our losses and also lessen his impact on the cap by letting him go. Keep Mack, trade Bosa.

image.png
                      Exactly
                      Bringing back Bosa makes no sense

He is overrated overpaid and not an impact player.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Man, I never understood the Bolts failing to extend Van Noy. He did have 5 sacks with us in 2022, then 9 sacks with the Ravens last season...good pass rushers don't grow on trees...either Van Noy was asking for a bit too much $$$ or maybe Van Noy didn't like Staley's D...or both...
                        Van Noy gave all appearances of wanting to come back with the Chargers, or anyone.
                        Remember, he sat out the first 3 - 4 weeks of the season.

The salary he was playing on last year was a bargain rate.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I want to win now and restock the club as contracts wind down with little or no dead cap hits.

Win now. This losing stuff is for losers.
                          so why do yhou want to bring back a bunch of players who make a lot of money and haven't won jack shit

Not saying its their fault, meaning MW, Bosa, KA and Mack - but the fact is the fact
                          they pushed a shit load of cap and they were 5-12

Comment

Working...
                          X