• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
    There are so few examples of guys who become 'Somebody' in the NFL after doing NOTHING in their first 2-3 years that it is, IMO, entirely safe to say that players like Spiller and Woods have *no* realistic shot at making the team.

If they do? Good for them! It's just that the statistical likelihood is really small.

The main Charger-related player who comes to mind as a 'late bloomer' was Yancy Thigpen. He did nothing as a rookie for the Bolts in 1991, and was released. He went on to play 6 seasons for the Steelers, and three for the Titans. His season high for catches was 85.
    Nwosu did pretty well for the Seahags after a few mediocre seasons with the Bolts...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

There are so few examples of guys who become 'Somebody' in the NFL after doing NOTHING in their first 2-3 years that it is, IMO, entirely safe to say that players like Spiller and Woods have *no* realistic shot at making the team.

If they do? Good for them! It's just that the statistical likelihood is really small.

The main Charger-related player who comes to mind as a 'late bloomer' was Yancy Thigpen. He did nothing as a rookie for the Bolts in 1991, and was released. He went on to play 6 seasons for the Steelers, and three for the Titans. His season high for catches was 85.
      I wondee if any players will make quantum leaps after some Ben Herbert training.

How set is the depth chart ?
      Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Nwosu did pretty well for the Seahags after a few mediocre seasons with the Bolts...
        IMO, Nwosu played well enough for the Bolts to re-sign, but the club had different financial and personnel priorities. I never looked at him as any kind of 'bust' with the Chargers.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
          Beef Before Gazelles
          • May 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I wondee if any players will make quantum leaps after some Ben Herbert training.

The major thing that we *should* be able to detect from Ben Herbert's influence is FEWER MISSED GAMES.

Which should result in better statistical production from individual players, and better group production because the club's depth isn't being stretched.

That's the hope, anyway.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            JH3 and Me
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

If you’re gonna pick a receiver the Chargers released and “bloomed”, you probably should pick Welker.

I think Woods chances are slightly better than Spillers not because I think Woods is much better than him, I don’t. It’s simply because of the roster composition and raw physical traits. Woods has 4.3 speed. Spiller has slightly below average to average speed and the Chargers added not one, not two, but THREE RBs this off season. Spiller’s odds ride on possible injury ahead of him imo.

That, and when I watched Spiller’s NFL tape, he just did not burst. He literally slowed down into the OL. Woods fails usually to me seemed to be a very late reaction and response to his assignment - he didn’t know what to do. I saw a half dozen DBs on the Chargers not knowing what to do, nobody knew what to do under Staley’s implementation, so perhaps he has a better chance of improving from competent coaching and scheme. But both are on the outside looking in, no doubt.

Neither are at “no” chance, just low.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

The major thing that we *should* be able to detect from Ben Herbert's influence is FEWER MISSED GAMES.

Which should result in better statistical production from individual players, and better group production because the club's depth isn't being stretched.

That's the hope, anyway.
              During camp I want scratching and clawing for positions on the depth chart.

Thought you were a "steel sharpens steel" guy.

Guess I was mistaken.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

I wonder if any players will make quantum leaps after some Ben Herbert training.

​​​

That's the hope, anyway.
                I think BOTH of these takes are possible:

1. Ben Herbert's training hopefully WILL help some of our players to make quantum leaps
                2. Fewer missed games due to superior training reducing injuries

BOTH very good points...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I think BOTH of these takes are possible:

1. Ben Herbert's training hopefully WILL help some of our players to make quantum leaps
                  2. Fewer missed games due to superior training reducing injuries

BOTH very good points...
                  wu does not make points...wu submits interrogatories.

I think GOQ misquoted himself out of context somewhere.

Lemme pull up the post...

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                    Beef Before Gazelles
                    • May 2021
                    • Send PM

During camp I want scratching and clawing for positions on the depth chart.

Thought you were a "steel sharpens steel" guy.

Guess I was mistaken.

Isn't it "iron sharpens iron"?

I'm not a guy who quotes Tim Tebow, if that's what you mean. lol

Iron sharpens iron = Competitors welcome

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Isn't it "iron sharpens iron"?

I'm not a guy who quotes Tim Tebow, if that's what you mean. lol

Iron sharpens iron = Competitors welcome
                      I am thinking in terms of Damascus Steel, not soft iron.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        JH3 and Me
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

wu does not make points...wu submits interrogatories.

I think GOQ misquoted himself out of context somewhere.

Lemme pull up the post...
                        wu interrogatories always have a point, i wouldn't follow and read if they didn't
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• FoutsFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Birmingham AL
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

If you’re gonna pick a receiver the Chargers released and “bloomed”, you probably should pick Welker.

I think Woods chances are slightly better than Spillers not because I think Woods is much better than him, I don’t. It’s simply because of the roster composition and raw physical traits. Woods has 4.3 speed. Spiller has slightly below average to average speed and the Chargers added not one, not two, but THREE RBs this off season. Spiller’s odds ride on possible injury ahead of him imo.

That, and when I watched Spiller’s NFL tape, he just did not burst. He literally slowed down into the OL. Woods fails usually to me seemed to be a very late reaction and response to his assignment - he didn’t know what to do. I saw a half dozen DBs on the Chargers not knowing what to do, nobody knew what to do under Staley’s implementation, so perhaps he has a better chance of improving from competent coaching and scheme. But both are on the outside looking in, no doubt.

Neither are at “no” chance, just low.
                          Staley's stupidly, overcomplex defense, as you say caused many players to hesitate and think too much. A half a second hesitation can be the difference in a deflected pass/interception and getting burned for a big gainer (that burn was standard on Staley's D).

Comment

Working...
                          X