• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Here's a nice tidbit. We're better on the backend than I thought.

Chargers News: LA Safeties Near Top of Fresh Positional Rankings

The Chargers have two players in the top 20 of this position ranking by Pro Football Focus.

Ricardo Sandoval | 1 Hour Ago

The Los Angeles Chargers will head into the 2024 season with much to prove. What could go wrong for the Bolts in 2023, went wrong; however, they'll look to change their fortunes in 2024, especially on defense. The Chargers defense was ranked among the bottom in many defensive categories.
    However, the Bolts are looking to avenge themselves, and thus far, experts and pundits believe they can do so with the talent on their side, especially in the safety position. According to Zoltan Buday of Pro Football Focus, his latest safety power rankings have the safety duo Derwin James Jr. and Alohi Gilman in the top 20. James is ranked seven, and Gilman is at 18.

Here's what Buday had to say about James.
    "While the talent is obviously there, James couldn't put it all together last season, which prevents him from being mentioned here in the top tier of safeties," Buday wrote.
    "The Chargers safety topped 1,000 snaps for the first time since 2018 despite missing one game. But while he ranked third among safeties in PFF overall grade (90.4) between 2018 and 2022, his 60.1 grade in 2023 was good for just 71st at the position," Buday added.

Here's what he said about Gilman.
    "Gilman had a breakout season in a contract year, which led to a new two-year deal with the Chargers this offseason," Buday wrote. "Despite missing three games with an injury, Gilman forced eight incompletions — on top of his two interceptions — on the season, which was tied for the third most among safeties. His 89.2 PFF coverage grade also ranked fourth at the position last season."
    Only two other teams have safeties ranked higher: the Ravens' Kyle Hamiton and Marcus Williams and the Patriots' Kyle Dugger and Jabrill Peppers. James is still one of the very best football players. He's tough and hardnosed, and he should be even better with Jim Harbaugh and new defensive coordinator Jesse Minter riding the ship.
    The same goes for Gilman, who had a breakout season in 2023. While the team was atrocious, Gilman recorded career-highs across the board, including 73 total tackles, two tackles for loss, and two interceptions.

As of June, the Chargers lack depth at that position, and if that remains the case, much will depend on James and Gilman in the secondary.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      JH3 and Me
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

with todays rules, defesne does not win championships like it did in 70's.... today great Defense keeps you in the game to allow a great coach and QB to win championships.... that is why reid and KC have won 2 straight SB's..... and were able to score whenever they really had to against the besat defenses in NFL.....last year chiefs beat Baltimore and SF the 2 best defenses in NFL..... and in those games, reid was able to drive easily against those great defenses to win those games.....
      the more data-accepting analyst would politely point out that the reason they were able to "score when they really needed to" is because their defense stopped the opponent at critical times and handed them back the ball.

2023 stats are beyond crystal clear:

- KC was #15 in scoring per game
      - KC was #1 in points allowed per game

I'm not saying a great offense is not a plus. of course it is. But the hypothesis hat defense doesn't matter and great offense is all that guarantees SB wins has no basis in actual fact.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

3. In each of the first two open OTAs, the Chargers rotated the right side of their first-team offensive line. That was not the case Tuesday. First-round pick Joe Alt took all of the reps at right tackle. Trey Pipkins III took all of the reps at right guard. Jamaree Salyer worked exclusively with the second team at right tackle and right guard.

The Chargers used two variations of their second-team offensive line. The first: right tackle Alex Leatherwood, right guard Salyer, center Brenden Jaimes, left guard Karsen Barnhart, left tackle Foster Sarell. The second: right tackle Leatherwood, right guard Barnhart, center Jaimes, left guard Jordan McFadden and left tackle Sarell.
        McFadden also received looks as a jumbo tight end and as a fullback.
        Do we have us a 300 pound FB, ala the Ravens? Do we have us a 300 pound TE for 3 TE packages?

Stay tuned. I've wanted to see him as a blocking TE since last year.

We are a LOS team.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

So, we're in good shape at SS...no surprise there...the big question marks are our corners and free safeties...

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

So, we're in good shape at SS...no surprise there...the big question marks are our corners and free safeties...
            FS Gillman is a plus guy at anticipation of routes and throws, tackles well. not very fast. FS Wood is very fast has very good ball skills, not a great tackler. Minter has to pick the right guy based on situation, for now.

Comment

• charger1_sj
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

the more data-accepting analyst would politely point out that the reason they were able to "score when they really needed to" is because their defense stopped the opponent at critical times and handed them back the ball.

2023 stats are beyond crystal clear:

- KC was #15 in scoring per game
              - KC was #1 in points allowed per game

I'm not saying a great offense is not a plus. of course it is. But the hypothesis hat defense doesn't matter and great offense is all that guarantees SB wins has no basis in actual fact.
              Sorry but it was mistakes and not the Chiefs D that won the games against the Ravens and 49ers. KC did have a great D and certainly helped them get there. But it was the offense, that scored when they needed too that won them both games. Stats are fine after the fact. It doesn't tell you what happened in games. We scored 30 points against the Jags and lost the game partly because we couldn't stop their offense. But more importantly we only scored 3 points in the 2nd half. A TD when needed would have won the game. Offense failed. A better D would have also won the game. But the circumstances were that a better offense easily wins that game.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

FS Gillman is a plus guy at anticipation of routes and throws, tackles well. not very fast. FS Wood is very fast has very good ball skills, not a great tackler. Minter has to pick the right guy based on situation, for now.
                Alohi did play FS at times, as did Derwin last year...saw Gilman get burned too many times because as u pointed out, he's just not fast enough to keep up with the really speedy wideouts...IMHO, if Woods can't show in camp and PS that he can tackle consistently, I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut...

Comment

• northerner
                  Charger fan since '79
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

with todays rules, defesne does not win championships like it did in 70's.... today great Defense keeps you in the game to allow a great coach and QB to win championships.... that is why reid and KC have won 2 straight SB's..... and were able to score whenever they really had to against the besat defenses in NFL.....last year chiefs beat Baltimore and SF the 2 best defenses in NFL..... and in those games, reid was able to drive easily against those great defenses to win those games.....
                  the 49ers, Chiefs and Ravens are at the very top of defensive rankings, and the eagles were at the top last year when they lost to the chiefs in the superbowl.

I agree that the rules have been tilted towards offense, but i am wondering if that has made a great defense even more valuable. a few thoughts:

1. unless you count the ray lewis ravens, the great super bowl teams usually have an offense to go with their great defense: the 70's steelers had franco harris, bradshaw, swan. the 85 bears had walter payton, jimmy mac, and willie gault. the undefeated dolphins had great RB's. the saying has always been "defense wins championships" but those teams usually had an offense to go with it.

the one-trick pony (all offense or all defense) usually can't climb the mountain through the playoffs.

2. i can't even name many defensive players in the playoffs this year - Nick Bosa and the chiefs NT come to my mind. the great defenses seem to be quietly assembled nowadays, but just keep winning. i also don't follow non-charger teams as closely, so that might be part of it.

3. I agree that Mahomes is the great tie-breaker - in tough battles between two great defenses in the playoffs, Mahome always manages to push his team across the finish line. however, the dueling defenses set the table for most of the game, and then Mahomes works his magic in. Mahomes is GREAT - you need a complete team to beat the Chiefs - including coaching.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    JH3 and Me
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Sorry but it was mistakes and not the Chiefs D that won the games against the Ravens and 49ers. KC did have a great D and certainly helped them get there. But it was the offense, that scored when they needed too that won them both games. Stats are fine after the fact. It doesn't tell you what happened in games. We scored 30 points against the Jags and lost the game partly because we couldn't stop their offense. But more importantly we only scored 3 points in the 2nd half. A TD when needed would have won the game. Offense failed. A better D would have also won the game. But the circumstances were that a better offense easily wins that game.
                    So we lost the game due to bad defense. Thank you

you can cherry pick whatever drive or score or whatever you want - the fact is they were 15th in points scored and #1 in points allowed. This is a stupid debate, to be honest.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Alohi Gilman is our Free Safety #1.

Derwin James is our Strong Safety #1.

We will mix, match and disguise at DB.
                      Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Thanks F21.
                        Important read.
                        Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                          Alohi Gilman is our Free Safety #1.

Derwin James is our Strong Safety #1.

We will mix, match and disguise at DB.
                          If we can generate enough pass rush we may be able to get by with Gilman at FS...most of the time...I would still prefer a deep safety who is faster...and can tackle better than Woods...ahem...

Comment

Working...
                          X