• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

it doesn't matter, we must always argue.
    That's not correct! We don't have to ALWAYS argue!

Comment

• Icebolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Mar 2023
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Hot or cold? North of the equator or south? Salt, fresh or otherwise? so many variables !!
      does the toilet water go clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Ovaltine is not oval - this is complete bullshit!!!
        ———
        We watched AJ and the TT spend 20 years with semi-devotion to OL. AJ always thought he could build a line with Day 2/3s, leftovers and castoffs, TT had mixed enthusiasm where he would express its importance but never follow thru from left to right. And when he tried, too often he just wasn’t an elite scout.

The results are in - 20 years of average teams, with peaks of “almost there”. For those 20 yrs we have all discussed THE TRENCH, I’d ready to give it a real fucking try. In spite my love of all things bling, sooner or later a gal wants that ring.

But i do think special players win games too. elite skill players put up Ws too. And due to that - WRs are not turning into a commodity just yet.
        With TT and building our O-line, it was a baffling combination of poor decisions by him and the coaching staff, and bad luck:

2013 - Fluker round 1 - A real reach pick @#11 after the top 3 OT's went in the top 10...Fluke was a bust at T, and barely serviceable at G...BAD DECISION...

2014 - Chris Watt round 3 - He was picked about where he was slotted, but injuries derailed things his rook year...the Bolts also tried to move him from G, his natural position, to C--the first of many position change projects that failed...COMBO OF BAD DECISIONS AND BAD LUCK WITH INJURIES...

2015 - Nobody drafted for O-line, though we had issues...it didn't help that TT had traded away our 4th rounder...

2016 - Max Tuerk, round 3 - Picked about where slotted. The Bolts kept him at C, his natural position at USC. He suffered an ACL his senior year, but the Chargers were confident he would recover. He did recover from that injury, but suffered from CTE, it was later discovered. He had been taking repeated hits to the head playing football from nine years old. He was released by the Bolts after just two seasons, and retired within a year. Just a sad combination of circumstances, mostly BAD LUCK. Then he died in 2020 from an enlarged heart. Interesting story about him here: https://concussionfoundation.org/per...ries/max-tuerk

2017 - Lamp (round 2), Feeney (3) and Tevi (7) - By now, the Charger O line was in shambles, and to his credit, TT did try to address this. Lamp and Feeney were both highly rated and the picks seemed like good value at the time. But, once again, the position switch experiments epic failed. Lamp was moved from T to G, but struggled. He was also derailed by injuries. Feeney was moved from G to C, and never worked out well. Tevi ended up starting at T. Good run blocker, but poor in pass pro. Combination of BAD LUCK and POOR DECISIONS.

2018 - Q-Berry, round 5 - O line still below average. Quessenberry was a backup, nothing more than that. TT signed FA's like Pouncey, Okung and Scho to fill in, with some success...Scho inconsistent, and Pouncey's play fell off his second year with us...

2019 - Pip, round 3 - a real reach and a project...it took the Bolt staff 3 years to coach him up to barely average, with frequent issues in pass pro...never really a strong run blocker either...BAD DECISION

2020 - Nobody drafted for O-line, but it didn't help that TT traded away our 3rd rounder to move up for K9, who never really panned out...

2021 - Slater round 1, Jaimes round 5 - TT FINALLY hits on an O-lineman in the draft after 8 years...Jaimes is a project and backup only...

2022 - Zion round 1, Salyer round 6 - Zion has been good but with occasional issues on pass pro...probably mostly related to having Clapp next to him at C instead of Lindsley...Salyer was a total steal...

2023 - McFadden, round 5 - too early to tell, only O-lineman taken...

So, in conclusion, TT has had several whiffs in O-line drafting, but started to improve his final 3 years. Gotta wonder if Staley had something to do with that--maybe he's a better talent evaluator than HC...so many injuries also--gotta wonder if S & C had anything to do with this...and/or also that artificial turf...All those position change projects must have also contributed to some of the fails...overall I give TT a grade of C in O-line drafting...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

It would be interesting to look at Ravens WR history, draft, trades and FAs.
          Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            JH3 and Me
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
            Well, there are the contracts that Kevin Dotson and Landon Dickerson just signed.

Then there is the contract that Justin Jefferson and CeeDee Lamb are about to sign.

There is talk of a separate cap for QBs.

It is clear that the best WRs are very valuable if not affordable.
            OGs? they got a couple of sweet contracts, perhaps its a signal OGs may gain in renumerated value going forward? not sure how it impacts the WR=commodity thesis just yet.

We could see mid-level WRs salaries moderate into a "replaceable" range, but the top of the class will probably remain highly paid. Each of them only needs one team that thinks they are that missing piece, so far WRs are finding such a business partner. I do not doubt JJ and CD will get big contracts. As of today - there is little to no change in that market that I can see.

I really don't know the frequency of rookie WRs coming into the league immediately ready to start Day 1 will increase much - I suspect there will be less than some will project. First and Second round picks are generally expected to start immediately or close to it - whether its WR, RB, Edge, or whatever - nothing unique there. Down the board, everyone notices the Pacau but don't notice the dozens of other WRs that are buried in STs their first couple years.

Most high schools will remain run-dominant as the number of highly skilled QBs that can sling it in a way that WRs would flourish will always be far outpaced by the number of schools. HS QBs run more effectively than they pass, and a large portion aren't even really "passing" QBs. As to NCAA - the increase in NCAA passing and adoption of spread formations etc has been going on for well over a decade, but few of them are arguably pro style and many WRs are not pro ready. I can't detect a gigantic sudden shift but hey - maybe its out there and I dont' know. my beloved Aztecs are about to become more of a passing team so what the heck do I know lol.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• LarryAW
              Chargers fan since 1970
              • Sep 2018
              • Chula Vista, CA
              • retired paralegal/court reporter
              • Send PM

Well, there are the contracts that Kevin Dotson and Landon Dickerson just signed.

Then there is the contract that Justin Jefferson and CeeDee Lamb are about to sign.

There is talk of a separate cap for QBs.

It is clear that the best WRs are very valuable if not affordable.
              Love a separate cap for QBs.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

It would be interesting to look at Ravens WR history, draft, trades and FAs.
                Wood, here's a couple for you. I've been keeping track of Trader Joe's deals with the Ravens, though DeCosta was GM. One of the best deals the Ravens made was trading down just three slots in 2019 in round 1, and picked up a 4th and a 6th rounder. With #25 they got WR Hollywood Brown. Not bad.

image.png

In 2019 also, the Ravens traded up for WR Miles Boykin. Unfortunately, he never really panned out:

image.png
                In 2020, the Ravens drafted WR Devin Duvernay, taking advantage of FOUR 3rd round picks they stockpiled. Duvernay has been an all-pro and pro bowler as a returner and receiver in the rotation. Not a bad pick at all.

image.png

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Icebolt View Post

does the toilet water go clockwise or counter-clockwise?
                  Yes, it does!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Bateman's a bust.
                    Hollywood traded.
                    OBJ was rented.
                    TT took QJ.
                    Then Ravens got Flowers.
                    Is WR Joe's blind spot
                    as OL is TTs ?
                    We must be concerned !

Giant OG contracts strain overall caps.
                    There's less money for good-not great WRs.
                    Everyone is looking for truly elite WRs.
                    It may be that we ended up barely missing with MHJ.
                    Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by LarryAW View Post
                      Well, ESPN's Barnwell isn't as pessimistic about the Chargers as many of you are.

Los Angeles Chargers

The superlative: Team most likely to add a playmaker at the trade deadline

Three things I believe about the Chargers:
                      • Jim Harbaugh is a transcendent coach. Remember what happened last time he entered the NFL? In 2011, he took over a 49ers team that hadn't posted a winning season in eight years whose quarterback (Alex Smith) had decided to leave town in disgust and frustration. Harbaugh took the Niners from 6-10 to 13-3 in one year. He was in the Super Bowl with a new quarterback (Colin Kaepernick) the following season. I'd argue he has a better quarterback this time around in Justin Herbert, and while he didn't bring defensive coordinator Vic Fangio along for the ride, Jesse Minter did wonders over the past two years under Harbaugh at Michigan.
                      • The Chargers were better than they looked a year ago. They went 5-12 but had the point differential of a 7.1-win team, even with that 42-point blowout loss at the hands of the Raiders that ended the Brandon Staley era. They went 3-8 in one-score games, including narrow losses to the Cowboys, Dolphins, Lions, Packers and Bills. They parted ways with useful wide receivers Keenan Allen and Mike Williams this offseason, but Williams wasn't around for most of 2023, anyway. L.A.'s baseline level of play, even without Harbaugh, is better than you think.
                      • Their schedule is very friendly to begin the season. Outside of a matchup with the Chiefs, they have a winnable first couple of months. They open with the Raiders and have a two-game road trip against the Panthers and Steelers. After the Kansas City game and a bye, they have road games against the Broncos and Cardinals before a home game against the Saints.
                      If the Chargers get off to a solid start in advance of a three-game homestand in November, I would argue they should be in the market for a playmaker. They added Ladd McConkey and DJ Chark at receiver, Will Dissly and Hayden Hurst at tight end and Gus Edwards and J.K. Dobbins at running back, but there might not be a No. 1 player at any of those respective positions in the mix.

I'm not sure Harbaugh would add a No. 1, but remember he took fliers on Mario Manningham, Anquan Boldin and even Randy Moss during his time in San Francisco. If second-year wideout Quentin Johnston is still struggling, would the Chargers make a run at wideout DeAndre Hopkins or a back such as Najee Harris if their respective teams are struggling? I wouldn't expect a big move in-season, but if the Chargers look as good as I expect, they should act accordingly ahead of the deadline on Nov. 5.
                      if we do a late season add, my guess it would be on the IDL....

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Awarding huge cap hits to both KA and MW was not a good decision. I was surprised when they committed to paying both DE's after the Mack trade. Even more surprised when they brought in JCJ under a big contract. With JH's re-sign on the horizon... a dismantle on the horizon was eminent. I understood they went "All-In". But also understood it was not a long-term solution.

IMO, looking forward (now that JH is signed long-term... and at escalating cap #'s) is the proper way to approach future draft picks... and try to figure out who gets the big-money contracts (re-signs) in the near future. And I think the whole debate hinged around, "Can you afford to pay Slater AND Joe Alt when the time comes for re-signs...?" The answer is "Yes". Of course it also means devoting a lot of cap space to "relatively few roster players". But this current FO seems to think the team will be "OL-Centric" and stress "running the ball and protecting the QB". OT's just seem to fit that vision better than WR's (or any other position). So the best solution seems to be keep the QB and OT's... and draft WR's, DE's, and CB's for the foresee-able future. If you want good ones... probably (hopefully) late 1st rounders. History (and current development) suggest WR's can be found in the mid-rounds, too.

Are we saying WR's are a "dime-a-dozen"...? Not exactly.
                        But we are saying, "Aren't other positions important, too...?"
                        The "herd" largely got "wrangled and guided" into believing that Malik Nabors was VASTLY more talented than Joe Alt... and therefore, the only legitimate choice @#5 this last draft. Well, surprise! The paradigm shift has occured with this team.
                        Is it the right choice for every team...? Not necessarily. But if the Chargers have success with this philosophical change... expect others to try.
                        It's a copy-cat league. Eyes will be on both LAC v KC games this year.
                        don't know if you've looked @the draft for next year @all, and.... see another draft where we might come away w/multiple day three prospects @wideout.

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I think you're missing the point using 2024 numbers as the potential committee approach of the Chargers hasn't even taken the field yet. Also, the MIN stuff above is off as Cousins is on ATL and Diggs is on Houston, neither on MIN. Buffalo ate a lot of cap to get out from under that Diggs contract. Premium players will always get paid no matter the position. I just don't see the Chargers in the Hortiz/Harbaugh era sinking the same percentage of player salaries into WR as they did in the recent past.
                          TT grossly overpaid for MW.... he started the dominos of surfeit payouts for the latest round of wideout bonanza signings.

Comment

Working...
                          X