• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charger1_sj
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Anybody matched up against the very best CB's... is going to struggle. Then again, I've seen him shake n' bake some of the best CB's, too.
    Again, Keenan Allen is one of the very best at setting up defenders. Saying that JH won't miss KA is just not accurate. Claiming that Ladd McConkey will replace Keenan Allen instantly is just not accurate. I'm not putting Ladd down... I'm not saying the WR crew can't be good without him. I'm just giving credit where credit is due.

NFL expert Brett Kollmann is back to break down the Xs and Os of how Justin Herbert, Brandon Staley, and the Chargers will attack the 2023 season. On the fou...

You don't get 100+ receptions and 1200+ yards for the 6 seasons by being just OK... or simply finding space.
    If given room to shake and bake then yes. But playing press against him throws off the timing between him and the QB.
    I don't disagree with the rest of your post. But KA definitely does much better against zone than man to man, especially
    when pressed at the LOS. We should not be comparing Ladd to KA, that's what I said.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Even if opposing DC's stack the box to stop the run, all it's going to take is a few medium to deep completions for the SS's and LB's to sag off, which opens the ground game back up. Our O is going to be challenging to a lot of teams...BUT...this is all contingent upon us getting good run-blocking and pass pro...Alt helps in BOTH of those departments...
      Yep, it's why we got Joe Alt. Run the ball better and protect the quarterback.
      Stacking the box vs the run would be a good way to get scored on. The added deep speed makes us dangerous.
      QJ, Ladd, Chark, DD... they all have take-it-to-the-house speed.

Give Herbert some time to let those routes pop-open... then we'll see Herbert's real advantage over other QB's. It's the arm strength.

OLineCentric

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
        serious theoretical-football question.

if you're an opposing DC, how do you prepare for our offense??

You're tempted to load the box with a G-Ro run game with Gus and all that first round OL talent...
        but do you risk the PA with Herbert and maybe justify it because you think we don't have the best deep threats??

we still have multiple receiving threats and can target every part of the field between Chark, Ladd, Hurst, Palmer.

Herbert's ability to threaten (literally) every part of the field makes it impossible to load up on run D.
        I'm really looking forward to this O. Teams will need 8 in the box to defend us or we will run it down their throats all day. That allows the receivers room to run free. It is a great left-right combo we have going on. Now its all about the execution.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

I'm not ready to proclaim that Ladd > KA. KA was one of the best route runners ever. But is Ladd the best route runner of the 2024 draft class...? Top-3 IMO... so that's very good news. Obviously very good speed (4.39) so he'll have that aspect of the game that KA did not have.

QJ23 was used incorrectly. His route running technique needed lots of work. That was known pre-draft. He was never given opportunities to catch the ball in space... because assigned routes were not designed that way in KM's scheme. This was the biggest head-scratcher. Let's see how GR can improve upon that. I suspect the play-action will open things up for QJ24. If he's not there yet... DJ Charke possesses a lot of the same characteristics and will be used in that capacity. IMO, Charke will be a good mentor for QJ24.

Joshua Palmer is a sneaky good WR that gets over-looked by most everybody. While not a speed-burner, he is a good route runner and understands where the gaps in zone defenses will be. He's been hidden away behind the greatness of KA. Herbert found him a lot when KA was out. He'll be a realiable #2 read for Herbert this year.

We have 4 WR's that will be elevated by the absence of KA and MW. The running game will get going this year... and that will open things up for the WR's. We'll probably be in 21-personnel 50% of the time... and Hayden Hurst will be my sleeper pick for 2024. He'll be Herbie's security blanket when teams blitz... and a reliable 3rd read for Justin. He already understands GR's offense... and understands the multiple roles of the TE.

Of course the biggest, most important aspect of the offense will be the extra time that Joe Alt will offer Herbie. KM always wanted to stretch the defense both horizontally and vertically. Unfortunately, the RT either always needed help or got beat 1v1 on the outside. Consequently, the vertical aspect of the passing game was non-existent last year. Some posters eroneously put the blame on the IOL last year. But the fact was there was no help inside because of the outside RT deficiencies. I expect Marc Trestman to get the protections right this year.

The WR depth is better... the RB depth is better... the OL depth is better... there will be no need for Easton Stick this year. Hand-wringing is unwarranted.
          I'm still going to blame most of that on Clapp and Salyer and even Zion.

Sure Alt will help, and hopefully so does Bozeman and whoever wins the RG job whether it is Pip,Salyer or McFadden..

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            JH3 and Me
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Watch the games. The coaches figured this out and lined KA behind the LOS, either in the slot or as split end. That's where he did
            most of his damage, against zone coverage. If you allow KA to run his routes he'd kill you. He didn't have good YAC because lots
            of the throws were underneath in soft zone areas where the DBs, LBs left space KA would find it. None of other WRs we had had
            this ability. Ladd may possess similar qualities. But we definitely cannot say he is an upgrade over KA at this point and time.
            KA is likely headed to the HOF when all is said and done. Ladd, no clue just yet.
            Slayer also didn't have a lot of YAC because he was more tightly covered than he used to be 5+ years ago. Father time, i'm tellin' y'all - he was still the master at leverage and cut step, but the old burst has faded. Routes he used to get 2 yards separation, now he gets 2 feet. He created enough window for Herbie to laser it in. But he was quickly tackled for no further gai a lot of the time.

Slayer might be HOF, its a guess on moods and swings of that fickle voting crowd. Right now he's #46 in REC yards, #26 in RECs, #99 in TDs. (includes WRs and TEs). Is that HOF? idunno, its getting close to knocking on the door but not sure he's been invited inside just yet. I'm gonna bet naw - there are a lot of other receivers above him in those stats that are not in. He is my Charger HOF for sure, top 3 all time imo.

Ladd possesses such abilities and more. He has the cut-burst to separate 2 yards that Slayer had in his prime. I can say it, I've been saying it since before the draft
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Slayer also didn't have a lot of YAC because he was more tightly covered than he used to be 5+ years ago. Father time, i'm tellin' y'all - he was still the master at leverage and cut step, but the old burst has faded. Routes he used to get 2 yards separation, now he gets 2 feet. He created enough window for Herbie to laser it in. But he was quickly tackled for no further gai a lot of the time.

Slayer might be HOF, its a guess on moods and swings of that fickle voting crowd. Right now he's #46 in REC yards, #26 in RECs, #99 in TDs. (includes WRs and TEs). Is that HOF? idunno, its getting close to knocking on the door but not sure he's been invited inside just yet. I'm gonna bet naw - there are a lot of other receivers above him in those stats that are not in. He is my Charger HOF for sure, top 3 all time imo.

Ladd possesses such abilities and more. He has the cut-burst to separate 2 yards that Slayer had in his prime. I can say it, I've been saying it since before the draft
              Our Ladd - is gonna make us glad
              He'll be one of the best - we ever had
              He's got the footwork - to make 'em miss the jam block
              He's got the cut-burst - to fake 'em outta their jock!

image.png

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

I'm hoping that Harbaugh/Roman envision QJ's routes to be completely different than what KM had him running last year.
                Once his long strides start eating up cushion in a hurry... I expect him to get over the top of a lot of #2CB's.
                If safeties are worried about the run (and they should)... they're gonna start cheating up and leave no help over the top on QJ.
                That's where QJ will be deadly. Once that happens, the CB will have to give cushion and play farther off.
                Once that happens, Q's gonna start breaking routes off and getting catches in space. We'll get to see some of that YAC.

100% he'll have to stop telegraphing his routes. Start simple (go routes and slants) then add to the arsenal later.
                An effective run game will open things up for QJ, IMO. Got to believe that drag routes will be employed more often, too.
                These coaches are no dummies. That will be refreshing.

And I agree... Ladd will be used in multiple patterns and in multiple levels of the field.
                Atta way to coach him up! Hec just teach him 20% of the playbook and add a couple more every week.
                And shit, let him leave practice earlier than the rest of the team for that matter. He only needs to learn go routes and slants 🤦

I know you didn't mean that literally.

He is doing more than that already but we don't need to treat QJ like a special needs player.
                He is going to get better and catch the ball better, as he has been working on all off-season or he will slide down the depth chart in his way out the door.

I am not down on him. He will be better. I'm not expecting pro bowl WRs on this team this year but they will be good enough.

In reference to someone else,. .....McConkey TODAY is not Keenan Allen! But he can provide some YAC for us that Keenan usually doesn't give.
                Last edited by Boltjolt; 05-24-2024, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Watch the games. The coaches figured this out and lined KA behind the LOS, either in the slot or as split end. That's where he did
                  most of his damage, against zone coverage. If you allow KA to run his routes he'd kill you. He didn't have good YAC because lots
                  of the throws were underneath in soft zone areas where the DBs, LBs left space KA would find it. None of other WRs we had had
                  this ability. Ladd may possess similar qualities. But we definitely cannot say he is an upgrade over KA at this point and time.
                  KA is likely headed to the HOF when all is said and done. Ladd, no clue just yet.
                  I watched the games. Keenan was great wherever he lined up. He routinely embarrassed the best of the best DBs.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                    I wished there was a way for Popper to review film from previous years and not just 2023 to see if Bozeman did much better.

Bozeman got an extension after 2022.....when they didn't have Young at QB. Bozeman pass blocking score wasn't good last year and I'm going to blame some of that on Young. Indecisive and holding ball, too short to see the middle of the field.

He isn't a pro bowler but with Herbert and our scheme he should be better.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Our Ladd - is gonna make us glad
                      He'll be one of the best - we ever had
                      He's got the footwork - to make 'em miss the jam block
                      He's got the cut-burst - to fake 'em outta their jock!

image.png
                      Isn't there a separate section of this forum for flirting and playing footsie?!? You don't typically see this going on in here... not to this level... But to each his own! There's more than one way to be a fan. Although at some point... Get a room! lol
                      Last edited by Ghost of Quacksaw; 05-24-2024, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Bozeman got an extension after 2022.....when they didn't have Young at QB. Bozeman pass blocking score wasn't good last year and I'm going to blame some of that on Young. Indecisive and holding ball, too short to see the middle of the field.

He isn't a pro bowler but with Herbert and our scheme he should be better.
                        Speaking of Bozeman, I'm flying there tomorrow for a 2-1/2 week vaycay.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

This entire place is a Freak Zone.
                          Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

Working...
                          X