• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

Keenan knew the all O and no D days were over he’d be doing a shit ton of hard core blocking for the majority of games and at his age that wear and tear along with what you said simply wasn’t appealing at all. He didn’t make it through last years season without injury, there’s just no way in hell he was going to in Harbaugh/Roman offense.
    I got no issue with Keenan looking out for #1, none, but I do have an issue with all the cry babies making it seem like the Chargers did him wrong, that really pisses me off! The minute that the Chargers signed Harbaugh Keenan and Mike knew that they wanted to go elsewhere...let's just be honest about that shit...
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• LarryAW
      Chargers fan since 1970
      • Sep 2018
      • Chula Vista, CA
      • retired paralegal/court reporter
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
      Very apparent to me that KA is not the victim in this to say the least.
      I'll ALWAYS have love for KA and I say this with love but he's always been a brat,.I don't think he'd argue that.
      he loves his money, so does his professional stylist wife, more power to them and theirs, but if you had a conversation with Jim and that DIDNT inspire you to want to stay and be a Chargers LEGEND, then I can confidently say we're better off long term.
      Nobody is a victim in any of this. Telesco's moves put the Chargers into Cap Hell, and Hortiz fixed the problem.

Everybody knew the Chargers had to do something with ALL 4 players, and there is no way Keenan was caught off guard. He did refuse to take a pay cut, which is his absolute right. But, that is precisely why he was traded. The Chargers HAD to save some money.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by LarryAW View Post

Nobody is a victim in any of this. Telesco's moves put the Chargers into Cap Hell, and Hortiz fixed the problem.

Everybody knew the Chargers had to do something with ALL 4 players, and there is no way Keenan was caught off guard. He did refuse to take a pay cut, which is his absolute right. But, that is precisely why he was traded. The Chargers HAD to save some money.

Exactly right. Keenan had every right to get his money. But the Chargers, also had to figure out their cap moving forward. And if the Bears didn't call - he would have been a Texan. Chargers probably would have taken that deal. And you are right, Allen knew their cap situation. Hope it works out for both teams

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I got no issue with Keenan looking out for #1, none, but I do have an issue with all the cry babies making it seem like the Chargers did him wrong, that really pisses me off! The minute that the Chargers signed Harbaugh Keenan and Mike knew that they wanted to go elsewhere...let's just be honest about that shit...
          Harbaugh was a QB. We were in cap trouble, now we ain't.
          I'm going with "better too soon than too late" GM move and dropping it.

Comment

• Jack Burton
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2023
            • Send PM

Correct.
            Age, injury, missing game history and who understood these factors in taking a pay cut to a new regime played the role in who stayed. I expected Bosa to be the one doing what Keenan did and Keenan doing what Bosa did.
            Instead they were the opposite. What a surprise.

Im also glad they didn’t trade Keenan to HOU like he wanted. The Jets would have been a good fit too…
            No AFC team was the right thing to do although he demanded it.

Keenan got exactly what he deserved. Sucks, but I like you, don’t think Keenan read the room correctly on this…

Comment

• Grim Bolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2021
              • Send PM

I understand Allen was a fan favorite... but the fan boy reactions are over the top right now. No career lasts forever. Bolts made the right move. We don't have a TE. We don't have any WRs. We don't have RBs. We don't have a Center. And I'm talking high value, above average production that is needed to win consistently. This is a 5-win team. Sure, injuries are a factor, but injuries also expose depth or lack of it. If the argument is about timing or waiting a year to let him walk, well, the cap space is still needed now. Personally, he wasn't a game changer. Teams contained him all day and Allen's own injuries didn't help.

The past five seasons: 5, 10, 9, 7, 5 win totals. This has never been a deep team under TT. Even after trading Allen, there's still not a lot of room left to keep covering all these holes. It's not just a matter of one for one replacements. "We need a WR now!" Well, we still need about 12 other guys as well. Hortiz comes from the school of BPA, not just filling perceived holes.

Four of the top 12 cap hits IN THE LEAGUE were our four guys. Can't forget Herbert is about to chew up a large portion of the cap going forward and even then, he'll probably be asked to restructure a few times.

Comment

• Jack Burton
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2023
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Grim Bolt View Post
                I understand Allen was a fan favorite... but the fan boy reactions are over the top right now. No career lasts forever. Bolts made the right move. We don't have a TE. We don't have any WRs. We don't have RBs. We don't have a Center. And I'm talking high value, above average production that is needed to win consistently. This is a 5-win team. Sure, injuries are a factor, but injuries also expose depth or lack of it. If the argument is about timing or waiting a year to let him walk, well, the cap space is still needed now. Personally, he wasn't a game changer. Teams contained him all day and Allen's own injuries didn't help.

The past five seasons: 5, 10, 9, 7, 5 win totals. This has never been a deep team under TT. Even after trading Allen, there's still not a lot of room left to keep covering all these holes. It's not just a matter of one for one replacements. "We need a WR now!" Well, we still need about 12 other guys as well. Hortiz comes from the school of BPA, not just filling perceived holes.

Four of the top 12 cap hits IN THE LEAGUE were our four guys. Can't forget Herbert is about to chew up a large portion of the cap going forward and even then, he'll probably be asked to restructure a few times.
                He was leaving at the end of next season. For nothing.
                Chargers got a 4th in a season where they desperately need draft picks.
                He clearly didn’t want to play for the new regime.

It is what it is. I’m good with it.

Comment

• LarryAW
                  Chargers fan since 1970
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Chula Vista, CA
                  • retired paralegal/court reporter
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Well, i dont know what his score was but im not a RAS score guy anyways. Dont matter to me if its 10 or 5....i see tape.
                  I know he has great tape. I just happened to see the score at another fan's site. His combine was awesome and actually elevated his status. Some now think he's the #1 WR. A lot of guys avoid the combine, but he did it all.

Comment

• ChargerTrader
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Send PM

Draft cannot come soon enough!

Comment

• charger1_sj
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

we saved about 22mil with the Keenan trade and our cap is sitting at 28 mil, so something is wrong with your math, pre KA trade we were at about 6mil in spendable money, WTF are they supposed to do with 6mil? the team still has a shit load of holes to fill, again, if folks want to be mad, be fucking mad at TT, 30mil plus in dead cap and 4 of the biggest cap hits in the NFL this offseason, again, WTF were Hortiz and Harbaugh supposed to do, pull cap money out of their bungholes?!
                      No. Right before the Allen trade we were roughly $20M under the cap. We are now about $40M under the cap. The cap situation is fluid because of
                      all the moves we are making. But we had way more than $6M at the time Allen was traded.

I am not mad. I am disappointed that we only got a 4th rounder for Allen, and we left a big hole at WR. We traded Allen for cap space. Now
                      we have to see how that plays out. We should now bring in a vet center, and maybe a LB. There are also several good but older OTs left in
                      FA. We would do well to get one on a cheap deal for insurance purposes.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

All depnds on the pick swap of course but end of the day, two picks at top of 4th round is pretty similar to a late 3rd and a late 4th - plus he goes to the NFC which is a bonus.
                        Yeah a 2024 4th round pick with no swap beats a 2025 3rd rounder with a pick swap any day.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Hmmm.
                          Good takes y'all.

Sidebar that is kinda relevant.
                          I still remember how mad I was at Coryell for taking Gary Anderson when we neede wall to wall defensive picks !!
                          Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

Working...
                          X