• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    JH3 and Me
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

It's becoming a national story now that all 4 players including Allen are on the trading block and if they are not traded all four could be released. Who knows MHJ could be sending out the signal behind the scenes that he doesn't want the cards to draft him and is locked on to playing in LA with his father's blessing! I think QJ could develop into the type of WR that could excel in Roman's O with Palmer as well! I bet Harbaugh has now finished watching each game from last season and is in full rebuild mode! Sweet. IF we end up going Bowers in the first, we could always draft Roman Wilson a bit later to take Allens spot and maybe a WR like Luke McCaffery for depth!
    I also like Rice from USC and Legette from ... idunno, in the south lol. SC? There will be opportunities for WRs later but will they line up with when we pick - either have to overdraft early or cross fingers - thats always the risk.

I wonder about that national story - without identified sourcing to the team, the interwebby is just so dishonest
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

QJ post-season interview I had not seen. He says all the right things. Maybe he will evolve into the player we were hoping for. He had just turned 22 a week before his rookie season started. Sometimes younger rookies are overwhelmed by just being in the NFL their first season, and they take big strides forward in year 2. We shall see.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        JH3 and Me
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

That's part of it. Being hurt is being unavailable, and being unavailable means zero impact. As much as I'm down on Joey I'm on the record as being OK to keep him IF his salary is commensurate with his impact, which it hasn't been for (at least) 3 years. We cannot afford to sink huge chunks of our cap and devote a roster spot to someone who probably will only play half of our games (at best) and doesn't elevate the play of the guys surrounding him (a la Chris Jones). It's not good resource allocation.

I've not looked it up but I'd be willing to bet that KVN has played more plays, has better stats, and has had a larger positive impact for his team than Bosa these last 3 years. Then compare the $$$'s invested in each. This exercise will illustrate one of the reasons why the Chargers have had such poor depth . . . . . . . . . . the resource allocation of the previous regime was extremely poor.

It's quite possible that the change in the general manager position could have more impact on our W/L record in 2024 than even the HC change . . . . . .
        well, that there is the bet. Will he be injured again in 2024? there are guys that played 17 games in 2023 that will not play 17 in 2024. There are guys that played less who will play more or all. Every year some guys get hurt, every year some guys come back from injury.

Will Joey continue his bad run in 2024? the universal assumption is of course he will be, I understand why. I don't know, myself. I don't have this magic crystal ball that some here think they possess.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

well, that there is the bet. Will he be injured again in 2024? there are guys that played 17 games in 2023 that will not play 17 in 2024. There are guys that played less who will play more or all. Every year some guys get hurt, every year some guys come back from injury.

Will Joey continue his bad run in 2024? the universal assumption is of course he will be, I understand why. I don't know, myself. I don't have this magic crystal ball that some here think they possess.
          The 49ers wanted Arik Armstead to take a pay cut. Not restructure, pay cut. He has been hurt the past couple years. Maybe not as much as Bosa but still

With Bosa - asking him to take a pay cut (as part of the CBA the players keep agreesing too) - is not out of the norm. If he doesn't want an incentive laden deal, the team and he will part ways.

And I do not think that any decision on Bosa has a bearing on Mack and vice versa. Same with Allen and Williams

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
              Send a draft pick and they can have Bosa Boys

Comment

• Riverwalk
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Send a draft pick and they can have Bosa Boys
                I co-sign that. It would be funny as hell to see both of them on injured reserve.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  JH3 and Me
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The 49ers wanted Arik Armstead to take a pay cut. Not restructure, pay cut. He has been hurt the past couple years. Maybe not as much as Bosa but still

With Bosa - asking him to take a pay cut (as part of the CBA the players keep agreesing too) - is not out of the norm. If he doesn't want an incentive laden deal, the team and he will part ways
                  I think it is very out of the norm for players to accept a pay cut, and I'd bet NFLPA union officials discourage it - do you have examples of players taking pay cuts? vs the thousands that do not? You mention Armstead, my news threads think he declined the pay cut and rumor is he will be released. Of course teams would love if players took pay cuts, just as players that are paid a low salary and have a blowout year would love teams to increase their contract. Duh. Welcome to business 101.

Every team has an example of a player who's contract is below his value and above his value, this is not unique to the Chargers. Even the "CAP BOMB!!!" TT created to go all in is somewhat tepid compared to the worst team cap offenders out there. I don't care if Bosa gets paid zero to play, I just bet it will never happen. In particular anyone named Bosa. Joey and Nick were raised from birth by parents who hold a visceral angry belief that NFL owners rip players off while they are useful, chews them up, maims them, and then spits them into the back alley and forgets them the second they are not.

Like it or not, it is a family thing and it runs deep. Joey knows he can sign somewhere else for more than $5M or $10M or whatever this pay cut is that TPB keeps fantasizing about.

Comment

• Charge!
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

15 minutes away from FA!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I think it is very out of the norm for players to accept a pay cut, and I'd bet NFLPA union officials discourage it - do you have examples of players taking pay cuts? vs the thousands that do not? You mention Armstead, my news threads think he declined the pay cut and rumor is he will be released. Of course teams would love if players took pay cuts, just as players that are paid a low salary and have a blowout year would love teams to increase their contract. Duh. Welcome to business 101.

Every team has an example of a player who's contract is below his value and above his value, this is not unique to the Chargers. Even the "CAP BOMB!!!" TT created to go all in is somewhat tepid compared to the worst team cap offenders out there. I don't care if Bosa gets paid zero to play, I just bet it will never happen. In particular anyone named Bosa. Joey and Nick were raised from birth by parents who hold a visceral angry belief that NFL owners rip players off while they are useful, chews them up, maims them, and then spits them into the back alley and forgets them the second they are not.

Like it or not, it is a family thing and it runs deep. Joey knows he can sign somewhere else for more than $5M or $10M or whatever this pay cut is that TPB keeps fantasizing about.
                      Tim Patrick took a pay cut with the Broncos. It doesn't happen often but if players see the market and see they can get similar dollars from their current team, it can happen

I am sure there are other examples this offseason. Armstead did decline the pay cut and will be released on Wednesday.

It will be interesting to see - if Bosa moves on - what he actually signs for. I never thought $5m. My numbers were $10m with incentives where he can make back his money if he plays and performs

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Calling my shot:

Chargers will sign Saquon Barkley if, big IF at least 3 of the 4 contracts are not brought back

Chargers will sign Dissly

Chargers will sign Bozeman

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

17 minutes ago 😅

Comment

Working...
                          X