• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Eurobolt View Post
    Told you we should get Barkley xD with weak RB draft class.

With trade back, trading Bosa and Mack we could have:

1st, 2nd (ours), 2nd(Bosa/Mack), 2nd (trade back) 3rd(mack Bosa), 3rd(trade back), 3rd (ours)

That is 7 picks in first 3 rounds - go for it.
    I don't think this is a weak draft class .... to the contrary, its competitive with any draft for day 2, early day 3 gets.

There is just lacking any elite rbs in this group like the last 2 years.
    The Chargers were not going there anyhow.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I strongly doubt they get in that bidding war vs teams will large cap space. But if they did decide to, and juggle the cap to make it work (which they always can), I’m on board. Inadequate IDL has been a glaring deficiency in our defense for over a decade that cascades to the Edge, LB and CB’s struggles. It’s simple - get one or two guys that blow the shit out of the interior OL and everybody else’s job on defense instantly becomes much much easier. Thats why these top guys are signing for +$25M APY, they have that impact on the defense.

When this board fixates on RT and ignores DT, I just SMH. Just get a guy later in the draft - no, no, no. Get a guy EARLY in the draft that can do more than fill a spot on the field.
      This is my biggest issue with Bosa . . . . . . . . . .massive payday - minimal impact.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2020
        • Oklahoma
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Hell, sign him and start him.
        Draft a center they can develop early day 3.

At this point, the options seem to be reaching for JPJ after trading down in the 1rst,
        or reaching for Frazier/Van Pran in the 2nd.
        29 and on the decline
        potential backup?

IMG_1562.jpg

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I don’t know if that’s true though.
          Define "star" RB. I think we need a #1 slugger who can handle a lot of carries and avg @ 4.1 ypc up the middle and a #2 with some speed & wiggle.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
            Oline-Tip of the Spear...
            • Feb 2019
            • McLean Illinois
            • Pipefitter Illinois State University
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
            Another center released on the market. Bradley Bozeman from the Panthers. Originally drafted by the Ravens in 2018 so ties to Hortiz. So he goes in that category with Allen, Cole, Morse, and I am sure I am forgetting somebody else - all released - that might be a step up from Clapp.
            I am very enamored with JPJ and Frazier...the later being a good possibility for us in the second...but I could also get down with a solid vet, and maybe draft Bortolini day 3, who can back up all 3 IOL positions while he waits to earn his shot at starting center. Limmer is a similar candidate...also Nugent, though he probably just backs up OC.
            Adopted Bolt: Scott Matlock

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

With respect to your other post about Barkley - I just don't see it from a cost standpoint. Personally, I think I would pay money for different positiosn when you can pay cheaper for a RB

As for Bosa and Mack -- if a team wants Bosa or Mack - tthats fine by me. If keeping one, its keeping Mack

Wonder if the chargers are using the media to create a smokescreen driving up the price of one or the other.

The next 24 - 72 hours are going to be interesting to say the least

These Barkley connections that keep popping up feel like a smokescreen or misdirection on the part of the Chargers (or outright fabrications by the news outlet ). I know running the ball will be a focus next year but paying for a high end FA RB doesn't seem the best way to allocate resources ($$$) in our present circumstances. Pick up guys in the draft and fill in with midlevel FA's. If we're going to blow our wad on a high end FA I'd much rather they do so at IDL or OC.

Comment

• electricgold
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

These Barkley connections that keep popping up feel like a smokescreen or misdirection on the part of the Chargers (or outright fabrications by the news outlet ). I know running the ball will be a focus next year but paying for a high end FA RB doesn't seem the best way to allocate resources ($$$) in our present circumstances. Pick up guys in the draft and fill in with midlevel FA's. If we're going to blow our wad on a high end FA I'd much rather they do so at IDL or OC.
                Smokescreen = tell the league you want Barkley and swoop in and sign Josh Jacobs away from the faders!

Comment

• Charge!
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

agree.....RB's and WR's can be found in any round and as UFA's..... Chiefs starting back is a 7th rounder..

most RB starters are drafted in mid rounds...they take alot of abuse and rarely have long careers....

Chargers problems are primarily because TT was clueless after the first round..... better GM, coaches and scouting staff will mean we actually will be drafting football players in every round.....

all that said.... rumors ars strong Chargers will be siging a top FA RB......and drafting another sometime after the first.....

Comment

• electricgold
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Define "star" RB. I think we need a #1 slugger who can handle a lot of carries and avg @ 4.1 ypc up the middle and a #2 with some speed & wiggle.
                    A RB with the ability to rush for minimum 1000 yards per season while at the same time score minimum 10 rushing TD's, all while having the ability to take it to the house on any given carry!

Comment

• electricgold
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2020
                      • Send PM

Harbaugh in SF Frank Gore Sr., Superbowl.... Harbaugh in Michigan Blake Corum, National Championship!

Comment

• Charge!
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Harbaugh in SF Frank Gore Sr., Superbowl.... Harbaugh in Michigan Blake Corum, National Championship!
                        agree, but those guys are not the guys most would have picked as best RB overall, in NFL or nation, but they were tough, strong runners who could carry a load..... every week without being injured..... not fumbling.... getting the tough yards....

What NFL FA RB's are like that today? those will be the types Harbaugh will go after.....

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

I know stats aren't the end all be all but I think if you could give me Barkley at 27 for 33/3 or Derrick Henry at 30 for 2 years at under 20 - probably taking Henry if going to route of the veteran higher priced RB

That said - -I think like you state - they can find value in the draft and free agency. I htink if they sign somebody like Barkley - Russini's tweet makes a lot more sense in terms of the line "The Chargers are open to trade offers for many veteran players including Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack, per sources..."
                          I think the trading of Bosa and Mack are mainly tied to cap savings. In that case, spending large amounts of cap space seems contrary to those aims... and doesn't fit with Hortiz's free agent philosophy. I don't expect us to be very active in free agency (especially not early on).
                          OLineCentric

Comment

Working...
                          X