Clear All
  • BlazingBolt
    SLAM DUNK!
    • Jun 2013
    • East County San Diego
    • Bolt fanatic
    • Send PM

The Atta Boy Deano And John Thread

It's been bad decision after bad decision but FINALLY!

This is the best decision Dean has ever made in his life.....and he closed the deal!

Gotta finally give the man some props.
    migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here
  • Fleet 1
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Kauai
    • Send PM

I changed this title to include John Spanos. I have been tougher on him than Dean over the years. And have no doubt he was a major part of this hire. So i for once would like to say good job and thank you to both of them.

This is simply a beautiful move by them. Finally. A good move.

I am at total peace right now. I have no fear of what will happen to this team. My dream has always been Harbaugh and Hortiz. Praying Hortiz is tabbed as GM.

Minter as DC. Shaw at OC. Pep at QB coach. Ben Sherman S&C. These are my most desired assistants.

Thanks John. I know you read us. I know you have taken a shitload of hate from this site over the years.. But you did good. For years we have had the backs of this team. Even in the face of total chaos and fuckery...but this time you got ours for once. Thank you.

Comment

• Boltx
      Dominate the day
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
      I changed this title to include John Spanos. I have been tougher on him than Dean over the years. And have no doubt he was a major part of this hire. So i for once would like to say good job and thank you to both of them.

This is simply a beautiful move by them. Finally. A good move.

I am at total peace right now. I have no fear of what will happen to this team. My dream has always been Harbaugh and Hortiz. Praying Hortiz is tabbed as GM.

Minter as DC. Shaw at OC. Pep at QB coach. Ben Sherman S&C. These are my most desired assistants.

Thanks John. I know you read us. I know you have taken a shitload of hate from this site over the years.. But you did good. For years we have had the backs of this team. Even in the face of total chaos and fuckery...but this time you got ours for once. Thank you.
      "At peace" is a great way to put it.

There's no guarantee this will culminate into a super bowl win - there's a lot that goes into that. Luck, injuries, refs, favorable match-ups in the playoffs, etc.

But I am "at peace" with this current effort to try to win a title. This is us finally putting our best foot forward and swinging for the fences, FOR REAL this time. I will be "at peace" with whatever that outcome is because I'll know we did the best we could this time around.

ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• AK47
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2019
        • Send PM

Spanos has brought peace and prosperity to the Chargerdom.

image.png
        Last edited by AK47; 01-25-2024, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• Buckethead
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2022
          • Send PM

I wouldn't say I'm at peace, little too excited to see what this off-season brings. But yeah, good job by the Spanos family. Harbaugh is exactly what this team has needed for quite a while.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
            Outback Goon
            • Sep 2018
            • Australia
            • Send PM

BIG THANKYOU

Now we know you are trying

Comment

• Lone Bolt
              Oline-Tip of the Spear...
              • Feb 2019
              • McLean Illinois
              • Pipefitter Illinois State University
              • Send PM

Nice work Spanos family!
              Adopted Bolt: Scott Matlock

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• floydefisher
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • siberiacuse, ny
                • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
                It's been bad decision after bad decision but FINALLY!

This is the best decision Dean has ever made in his life.....and he closed the deal!

Gotta finally give the man some props.
                When you're right you're right.

Thank you Mr Spanos for finally seeing the light.
                sigpic

Comment

• SBbound
                  Casual fanatic
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Merced/San Diego
                  • Send PM

They nailed it

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

They could have easily continued to justify going cheap and hide behind another GM.
                    they chose not to. They chose to spend and invest in the product and presumably stay the f outta the way.
                    sincere THANK YOU to all the Spanos.
                    Darius "4.36" Davis
                    top play speed: 23.47 MPH

SDP2024: (Triple Play)

Comment

• northerner
                      Charger fan since '79
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

I think people have been too hard on the Spanos HC hires in the past (but not other stuff), but I also think that the Harbaugh hire was kind of like the Herbert draft - things all fell in place. Here is why:

1. Spanos was under tremendous pressure to make a quality hire. having been a little frugal on the last few hires (and taking a chance on "new" guys), this would be a disaster to take a chance on an unproven guy when you have a great QB that is being wasted. this time, they had to get the "Sean Payton" type of hire. Plus, being in LA now, they could not pull the poor boy card. Our timing was right for HC search as Staley completely disqualified himself this season.

2. Harbaugh's time in Michigan / college football was over. the suspensions this season and pending bullshit meant he was gone. winning the national championship was the ultimate cherry on top (goodbye!!). the fact that he interviewed at Minnesota recently said it all - he still had an itch for the NFL. He was the next big "Sean Payton" type of hire and that is exactly who were we looking for this time. It also helped that we already had ties to Harbaugh - I am sure the two sides had an easier time spelling out exactly what they wanted.

looking back at some of the coaching history:

1. They hired Marty before, so they have hired proven guys before, and Norv was about as established as you can get as an offensive OC (before his head coaching run with some teams), so I think the narrative about "horrible hires" was overblown with the latest streak. Norv won some playoff games for us, but for some reason, people love to shit on Norv (he was not a HOF HC, but there are worse guys). The Anthony Lynn to Staley era was just bad (the McCoy hire seemed ok going in, but he was an OC who was not made for the HC seat - it happens).

Look at Atlanta and Carolina right now- those hires don't look very good. it is a roll of the dice sometimes. for the Rams and Dolphins, the young guys in the Staley mold (young, innovative, analytics, etc.) have worked out.

2. the meddling narrative was always a mystery, but it seems to have been disproven to some degree from outside reporting on the topic recently. however, i always thought "meddling" would be Telesco's excuse for his horrible drafts. The "no meddling" theory actually hurts Telesco - that means the whiffs are all on him. painful to think about.

3. Finally, i am sure if you go to ANY team's message board: the coach sucks, the owner sucks, the players suck -- everybody sucks if they don't win the game (cut all the players and fire all the coaches - sell the team, blah, blah, blah). welcome to the internet - where you can't hang up on the crazy guy who phoned into the radio show. wait until we lose a few games, the witch hunt will be back on.

anyways, that's a long way of saying "atta boy" !!!

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Obviously recognizing they needed to change their approach and going after, and getting, the best coach available speaks well for them. Hearing that the younger voices (assuming Dean's sons) were all in gives me more hope about our direction.

Comment

Working...
                        X