• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    JH3 and Me
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

They certainly didn't bring in the running backs to be a ground and pound team.
    The 200 pound Ekeler was their feature back.

Staley liked to babble on and pretend to instill toughness, then he gave players the day off while he sat in a closet and resolved team flaws in his mind.

His offensive master plan was the same on offense as defense: intricately designed precision pass routes 6 yards down field, and some semblance of a choreographed run blocking scheme that the Oline never could get right.
    TT never brought in the RBs during Staley era to do much of anything. 100% agree on all of this
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2020
      • Send PM

The more I give it thought, the more I believe the Harbaugh hire is the wisest business move this organization has made. It's not just because of his brand value, which will raise the stock of the Chargers as a brand name in the LA market but due to the the fact that the NFL has overcorrected to overpaying skill positions such as wide receiver and cornerback while the running back market is at the lowest value it has seen, and most teams have adapted to playing and defending a passing league rather than playing the run. Given Harbaugh's penchant for physical play and a focus on the running game, we are buying the bottom of the running back market while also limiting the production value from the receiving corps on this team as compared to more pass-heavy teams which in turn will save us money in the long-run when time to resign new contracts is due. So this is not just strategically beneficial, but also wise in the financial sense. And with Hortiz' strategy in stockpiling comp picks, the real value will come from investment in the scouting and coaching staffs which don't count against the cap, but allow to save significantly in cap space indirectly via drafting and developing good players in the latter rounds of the draft. Technically, this approach at least for this team will bring the market for players to more traditional values, where QB and trench players would get the bulk of the cap money.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Denzel Perryman says Harbaugh reminds him of Will Ferrel. And he hopes he doesn't get in trouble for saying it

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
          Denzel Perryman says Harbaugh reminds him of Will Ferrel. And he hopes he doesn't get in trouble for saying it
          As long as it's not Barney Fife!

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Heatmiser
            BetterToday ThanYesterday
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
            That was pretty funny. He did say he really likes Harbs, though. So did Dupree. He said you can tell when a coach is genuine vs just saying things and feels Harbaugh is genuine. Why be so quirky and wierd as an act? It's the real Harbaugh.

TG
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
              SLAM DUNK!
              • Jun 2013
              • East County San Diego
              • Bolt fanatic
              • Send PM

Heard Ben and Woods eariler in the week giving their DON'T DO THIS to Harbaugh for I guess removing music from OTAs. There take was basically that professional athletes are going to revolt when treated like children and the Chargers are so dysfunctional that even Harbaugh won't be able to win with them as evidenced by his dumb ass college coach attitude that won't fly in the pros (uh yeah we know he has NFL success on his resume but lets pretend that doesn't destroy the point we are making)

Ben Higgins the most I can't root for the Chargers anymore now that they are in LA buts lets go all day Hollywood Laker fan San Diego sports personality.
              migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
                Heard Ben and Woods eariler in the week giving their DON'T DO THIS to Harbaugh for I guess removing music from OTAs. There take was basically that professional athletes are going to revolt when treated like children and the Chargers are so dysfunctional that even Harbaugh won't be able to win with them as evidenced by his dumb ass college coach attitude that won't fly in the pros (uh yeah we know he has NFL success on his resume but lets pretend that doesn't destroy the point we are making)

Ben Higgins the most I can't root for the Chargers anymore now that they are in LA buts lets go all day Hollywood Laker fan San Diego sports personality.
                Harbaugh might want to revisit the music situation. Good practice for playing in LA. You can barely hear the person in the next seat at games due to the mixed noise from the speakers over the field.

Comment

• Whydachargers?
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2023
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Harbaugh might want to revisit the music situation. Good practice for playing in LA. You can barely hear the person in the next seat at games due to the mixed noise from the speakers over the field.
                  I like the no music idea. We're not here to party. I think Harbaugh wants his players to focus on his training methods and I'm guessing that at least some of it is new stuff that most players aren't 100% familiar with.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post
                    The more I give it thought, the more I believe the Harbaugh hire is the wisest business move this organization has made. It's not just because of his brand value, which will raise the stock of the Chargers as a brand name in the LA market but due to the the fact that the NFL has overcorrected to overpaying skill positions such as wide receiver and cornerback while the running back market is at the lowest value it has seen, and most teams have adapted to playing and defending a passing league rather than playing the run. Given Harbaugh's penchant for physical play and a focus on the running game, we are buying the bottom of the running back market while also limiting the production value from the receiving corps on this team as compared to more pass-heavy teams which in turn will save us money in the long-run when time to resign new contracts is due. So this is not just strategically beneficial, but also wise in the financial sense. And with Hortiz' strategy in stockpiling comp picks, the real value will come from investment in the scouting and coaching staffs which don't count against the cap, but allow to save significantly in cap space indirectly via drafting and developing good players in the latter rounds of the draft. Technically, this approach at least for this team will bring the market for players to more traditional values, where QB and trench players would get the bulk of the cap money.
                    All of this works ONLY IF we can win consistently as a run heavy team . . . . . . . . . . Maybe we'll manage that at some point, but we'll need a much better defense than what we have currently . . . . . . . . I still think balanced is better

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

All of this works ONLY IF we can win consistently as a run heavy team . . . . . . . . . . Maybe we'll manage that at some point, but we'll need a much better defense than what we have currently . . . . . . . . I still think balanced is better

Why say that? Do you mean heavier? The Ravers were very close to 50/50 and lead the NFL in run %. Chargers were @39% run and for the most part, it was wasted effort. I'd guess more like 42 % and far more effectively.

Better pass blocking, more diverse healthy receivers, and effective run game bode well for the offense.

Re Current defense? No one has seen them play. Personally I expect at least average as a floor but that's just a guess. .The DE/ Edge players and LBs are major studs and I think Minter can work with our DTs and DBs. With very probably the best pass rush in the NFL, it makes life rough for opponent QBs and our guys can play the run.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                        Moderate Skeptic
                        • May 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Why say that? Do you mean heavier? The Ravers were very close to 50/50 and lead the NFL in run %. Chargers were @39% run and for the most part, it was wasted effort. I'd guess more like 42 % and far more effectively.

Better pass blocking, more diverse healthy receivers, and effective run game bode well for the offense.

Re Current defense? No one has seen them play. Personally I expect at least average as a floor but that's just a guess. .The DE/ Edge players and LBs are major studs and I think Minter can work with our DTs and DBs. With very probably the best pass rush in the NFL, it makes life rough for opponent QBs and our guys can play the run.
                        You may be right, but we had this conversation many times last year . . . . . . . . They're going to have to show me they've improved defensively. Everything else is conjecture and opinion at this point. The best thing you can say about our defense ATM is that Staley is gone . . . . . . . who knows - that may be enough

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          JH3 and Me
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

You may be right, but we had this conversation many times last year . . . . . . . . They're going to have to show me they've improved defensively. Everything else is conjecture and opinion at this point. The best thing you can say about our defense ATM is that Staley is gone . . . . . . . who knows - that may be enough
                          JMO - the problem with last year’s defense was the players didn’t know what to do. I do not expect that will occur in 2024. Cannot wait to see what they can do when they have clear vision of their assignment and objective.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X