• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    JH3 and Me
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
    John is just a convenient boogieman. His crime like his father’s is not winning but I don’t think he’s as bad as a lot of people on this forum are making it out to be.
    he was a kid who watched his dad watch his grandpa build cheap apartment complexes. I feel he has always wanted to do well, he didn't know how. He had never seen it done right. He grew up and learned "how" in an organization that did it wrong. They hired consultants at a few steps to help teach them that were revered as highly esteemed experts - yet those "guru"s completely failed them and Spanos could not tell the bad advice from good advice because, again - they did not know. They followed the well-proven trend of looking for the next up and comer - which has worked for many teams. But they didn't have the depth or skillset to accurately vet and project their future performance. Again - they didn't know how. Each failure is a manifestation of incompetence.

Its very fair to be unsatisfied with an incompetent owner of the team you love, and decry their incompetence. But there's been a ton of malicious slanders against the kid for years that I never thought were founded by a sliver of evidence. meh-whatever.

Occam's razor applies - Incompetence is simple to understand. I think the problem is people find it too simple - like, no way - it can't just be they aren't good at it? Yet it is that simple. The complex Machiavellian theories of diabolical dastardly or even evil motives are unneeded and (jmo) unfounded. The real answer was always obvious.

The good news - John and Dean have (finally) learned much the last decade and every move this off-season is spot on brilliant. absolutely brilliant. a Bright future for the Chargers lies ahead, my fan friends!
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

That is what I saw too.
      John Spanos has grown up !
      Harbaugh's comment about his relationship with Jed York is noteworthy.
      "Don't believe everything they write (not verbatem)."
      It is easy to draw comparisons between Jed York back then, John Spanos now, and Jim's wiser posture in 2024.
      We need to get out of the habit of piling on John.
      One thing we were witness to yesterday was John evolving towards a new role, that of successor to Dean as owner.
      Agreee, JohnBoy sounded pretty articulate to me. I call him JohnBoy but he is what....in his mid 40's? I named him after the JohnBoy Walton charactor lol....plus his inexperience. But he sounded well and everybody learns and he got smittten early with Staley and his big talk.

Staley was McVays DC before we hired him and McVay interviewed him again on Wednesday for that same possition and didnt hire him.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        OMG … Jim Harbaugh you are the man. I didn’t watch any of his presser … Did he really say he wants to “Jim Rockford it” for the first coupla months in a trailer by the water? You young ‘uns may not know the “Rockford Files,” a 1970s TV show about a PI, starring James Garner in the lead role, who lived in a house trailer in a parking lot above the ocean off the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu. Jim Rockford is one of my favorite characters of all time.
        He did...Rockford files was a good show but all i could think about was the Chris Farley skit about living in a trailor down by the River

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Agreee, JohnBoy sounded pretty articulate to me. I call him JohnBoy but he is what....in his mid 40's? I named him after the JohnBoy Walton charactor lol....plus his inexperience. But he sounded well and everybody learns and he got smittten early with Staley and his big talk.

Staley was McVays DC before we hired him and McVay interviewed him again on Wednesday for that same possition and didnt hire him.
          @ Raiders shocked JohnBoy into it.
          For all the shit we have endured as Charger fans.
          This feels perfect...finally.
          Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2022
            • White Rock, BC Canada
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I saw that this morning and I found it highly unlikely the Chargers would spend that much money on RB when Harbaugh mentioned yesterday that its about protecting the QB and creating a running game. If the Chargers are going to spend money in free agency, I think it will be Oline. It is why Joe Alt just might be the pick at 5.

For Harbaugh - its going to start with the line of scimmage, on offense and defense I presume, after the coaching staff is figured out.
            You could be right. OL will be addressed. We need a center. I wish there was a way to get the 334 lb stud Powers-Johnson but you cant take him top 10 and he is gone by 37.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Harbaugh is on with Cowherd right now but i dont have it on. Ill just wait for his clips to come out.

Comment

• northerner
                Charger fan since '79
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

the only way I could possibly warm up to John Spanos is if he's raising a Lombardi trophy over his head...then all the years of nepotistic entitled ineptitude will be forgiven, that's literally what it's going to take, I'm not ready to give him credit for the Harbaugh hire, TT and Staley were HIS guys, then all of a sudden we start hearing from Dean again, Dean making statements to the press etc...how does that happen and then we turn around and give John credit for Harbaugh?
                These teams are not public companies, so being a family business, nepotism is going to exist. Al Davis to Mark Davis, Jerry Jones and his clan, and on and on..

I don't know much about John Spanos, and I am not here to defend him. I am stating what i saw at the press conference - he was well spoken, while Dean was reading a bit awkwardly from a script. being well spoken does not mean he knows anything about football, but it does show that he prepared for the presser and presented well. if he had come off like a bumbling idiot, I would be more worried about him. I think his involvement will be limited with Big Jim running the show.

the Spanos clan has a spotty history, but they hit a home run with this hire. anyone care for some Dan Quinn? not me, thanks.

Comment

• SAY OW 55
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2023
                  • Send PM

Harbaugh is on with Cowherd right now but i dont have it on. I’ll sjust wait for his clips to come out.
                  Oh shit didn’t know.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

@ Raiders shocked JohnBoy into it.
                    For all the shit we have endured as Charger fans.
                    This feels perfect...finally.
                    Amen brother! the stars have finally fucking aligned for the Fam, the team, and the fanbase...this is a wonderful zone to be in, just a few months ago I was wondering if my entire football fandom (Chargers or nothing!!!) was coming to an end...this shit has definitely reignited he fire!!!
                    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

This made me laugh so hard, if I recall McVay was not happy with Staley leaving after one year, in fact there were rumors circulating that he didn't think that Staley was ready...I wonder how much of this interview was like a big "I told you so" by McVay...
                      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• LinksterAC
                        San Diego Chargers Fan
                        • Sep 2022
                        • San Diego County
                        • Send PM

Jim Harbaugh definitely has his wires connected in some interesting ways, but that may be part of what pulls his players into an atmosphere & culture of winning. He exudes it, and it brainwashes people around him.

This team has its personnel problems, but I don't know if that will matter overmuch with this guy in charge. He has his QB, LT, Safety, OLB (Tuli) & a clutch WR. Would not be surprised to see this team win 11 or 12 next year, mainly due to winning the close games they've lost in years past.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

These teams are not public companies, so being a family business, nepotism is going to exist. Al Davis to Mark Davis, Jerry Jones and his clan, and on and on..

I don't know much about John Spanos, and I am not here to defend him. I am stating what i saw at the press conference - he was well spoken, while Dean was reading a bit awkwardly from a script. being well spoken does not mean he knows anything about football, but it does show that he prepared for the presser and presented well. if he had come off like a bumbling idiot, I would be more worried about him. I think his involvement will be limited with Big Jim running the show.

the Spanos clan has a spotty history, but they hit a home run with this hire. anyone care for some Dan Quinn? not me, thanks.
                          Not talking about this anymore...too much happiness right now, the worm has definitely turned for us charger fans and I'm just super excited right now, it still feels a bit surreal but I'm coming around to accepting this wonderful new reality...

Comment

Working...
                          X