• Show
Clear All
  • Coachmarkos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • SoDak
    • Technology Director
    • Send PM

And there went David Carr's MVP chances. (Not that I thought he should win, anyway)

You can't get outpassed, by Alex Smith, in December, and expect to be the MVP.
    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
      No Sir, I Dont Like It
      • Jun 2013
      • Section 457
      • Migrant Film Worker
      • Send PM

All Smith does is win games.
      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
      sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

Sproles being Sproles!
        Good to see.
        sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
          No Sir, I Dont Like It
          • Jun 2013
          • Section 457
          • Migrant Film Worker
          • Send PM

Eli being Eli!
          Good to see.
          sigpic

Comment

• Faded blues
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2013
            • Send PM

Tickets for the chargers vs browns are going for 5$.

Comment

fender57
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Faded blues View Post
              Tickets for the chargers vs browns are going for 5$.
              They have to pay people more than that to go.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Loved seeing the Giants lose as Eli throws his 3rd interception to end the game.

Comment

• bonehead
                  Undrafted
                  • Jul 2013
                  • TBD
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                  They have to pay people more than that to go.
                  They should let the fans in for free......and then charge them to get out
                  Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Dec. 26, 2016 has by far the worst 3-game schedule in college football bowl history

Never before has a day with at least three bowls been made up of nothing but six-loss teams. (Wait, there’s a seven-loss team in here, too.)
                    by Jason Kirk Dec 22, 2016, 11:26am EST

There are too many bowl games. OK, sure, fine. They still make players happy, mean football on TV, and make enough people money to keep happening.

The day after Christmas 2016 might be the stiffest test yet each of these arguments has faced. Of the six teams scheduled to play on Boxing Day, not one has a winning record.

The NCAA opened up bowl eligibility in 2006, meaning teams with .500 records could attend. That eventually expanded even further, when a 40-bowl schedule meant including teams with losing records, but good Academic Progress Rate scores.

It wouldn’t be fair to compare this schedule onslaught to a day with just one bowl between .500 teams, since anyone can weather a single unappealing game. But I’ve gone back to 2000* to try and find a three-bowl day made up of nothing but seven-win teams. Nope. It’s not even worth mentioning any days that came close. Almost every day of bowls has at least one team that’s won a significant number of games. Even last year’s Cure Bowl, which still has a case for the lowliest bowl ever, was on a day with four nine-win teams playing.

Look at the glory of this schedule (all times ET):

6-6 Miami (Ohio) vs. 5-7 Mississippi State in St. Petersburg, Fla. at 11 a.m.

Both teams closed hot, with the Redhawks riding a 6-0 streak and the Bulldogs beating rival Ole Miss! But this is the rare combo: two bad teams, with one still way better than the other. MSU’s favored by two touchdowns. Also, this kicks off at 10 a.m. Starkville time. Also, nothing good can happen on the swamp planet that is Tropicana Field:

This is the game no longer worthy of being sponsored by “Beef ‘O’ Brady’s” or something to do with Bitcoin.

6-6 Boston College vs. 6-6 Maryland in Detroit at 2:30 p.m.

We did bowl watchability rankings, and this one came in dead last, with not a single person giving it anything higher than the worst available grade. Our voting panel included a Maryland alum. Detroit is a far better city for visitors than it’s made out to be, but I’m furious that players won’t get to experience the IHOPplebee’s.

6-6 NC State vs. 6-6 Vanderbilt in Shreveport, La. at 5 p.m.

According to S&P+, NC State is the best team playing football on this entire day. The Wolfpack lost four close games, including what should’ve been a win over No. 2 Clemson. Vandy is also better than its record suggests. This game is sneaky decent, but tainted by its records, its predecessors, and the brand of its location, which fans have long hoped to avoid in bowl season. This was the bowl famously sponsored by Poulan Weedeater in the 1990s, a punchline to this day, and by AdvoCare after that.

ESPN and company have done a good job of cramming bowl bloat into a well-paced series, starting with fun mid-major games and ramping up toward January. But this year, a few bowls that are all low on power-conference pecking orders ended up on the same morning and afternoon, and the lineup is almost impossibly bleak. I salute it.

* Since bowl standards were much higher in the previous millennium —1997 had exactly half as many bowls as 2016’s 40, and 1980 had only 15 — there’s no point in looking back too far beyond 2006. We did it, 2016. We did it.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                      No Sir, I Dont Like It
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Section 457
                      • Migrant Film Worker
                      • Send PM

Time to GTFO this 2016s
                      sigpic

Comment

• Bolt-O
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

40 bowl games are too much. However, as long as they make money somehow, the lower tier bowls will exist, and they will take anyone that will play. Even Notre Dame would be a decent draw with a 4-8 record. Team with a losing record shouldn't be in a bowl game, period.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Sad, but they're all better than Chargers-Browns.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X