• Show
Clear All
  • captaind
    Cook This Pork Chops
    • Jun 2013
    • Balcony
    • Senile Agitator
    • Send PM

Un-freaking-believable. It went through.

I love it when the Donkeys lose.

Comment

• vinabolt
      Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
      • Feb 2015
      • Send PM

Two tough and clutch teams went back and forth, what an incredible game.
      Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• TTK
        EX-Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • America's Finest City
        • Send PM

Finally a good prime time game!

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

WTF was Kubiak thinking going for a 62 yard field goal? I get being aggressive and all that, but there are times when it is just stupid. Like tonight.

Comment

fender57
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
            WTF was Kubiak thinking going for a 62 yard field goal? I get being aggressive and all that, but there are times when it is just stupid. Like tonight.
            Seems like he lost faith in his defense.

Comment

• vinabolt
              Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
              • Feb 2015
              • Send PM

3 of the most clutch, tough teams, who have been winning weird games, close games in the 4th quarters or OTs, reside in the AFC West, sigh.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                No Sir, I Dont Like It
                • Jun 2013
                • Section 457
                • Migrant Film Worker
                • Send PM

Originally posted by vinabolt View Post
                3 of the most clutch, tough teams, who have been winning weird games, close games in the 4th quarters or OTs, reside in the AFC West, sigh.
                We sure make it look that way by comparison.
                Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                sigpic

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                  Seems like he lost faith in his defense.
                  Saw a few comments from him after the game about wanting to go for the win. Really dumb, as his kicker's career long was 57 yards, the kicker told him he could try up to 60 yards before the game so he has him try a 62 yard attempt. If anything, I think he had faith his D could hold if the kick was missed. He was wrong on both counts.

Comment

fender57
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    Saw a few comments from him after the game about wanting to go for the win. Really dumb, as his kicker's career long was 57 yards, the kicker told him he could try up to 60 yards before the game so he has him try a 62 yard attempt. If anything, I think he had faith his D could hold if the kick was missed. He was wrong on both counts.
                    Maybe so, but my impression was Kubiak went for the insane FG attempt to end it right now because Smith had moved the team pretty well at the end of the game.

Comment

• vinabolt
                      Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
                      • Feb 2015
                      • Send PM

Kubiak should went for 4th down, but I can understand why he went for the FG: He has a good kicker and other kickers have converted 60+ yards fg before. His kicker career long was 57 yards, it isn't that far off from 62 yards. There was no wind.

Punt wasn't an option, because you basically concede a tie. It was 1 min left in OT, if you punt, the best realistic result you could get is to successfully hold them in 1 min and protect the tie. If your gassed defensive players (who were grabbing for oxygen on the sideline) give up a big chunk, then you're suddenly in danger of losing the game anyway.

The only 1 argument for the punt is hoping to get a turnover. But hoping for turnover is not a good decision here, the chance they'll gain a 40 yards play on you is much higher than you'll get an interception or fumble recovery in that time, especially your defense is gassed, can't run, slow and can't keep up at all.

These 2 gassed defenses couldn't stop each other in the final minutes of the fourth quarter and overtime. Kubiak should go for 4th down.

He still had 1 min, so if he converted, he would win. And 4th and 10 conversion has higher chance of success than 62 yards fg.
                      Last edited by vinabolt; 11-28-2016, 07:10 PM.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

I bet he wishes he had a tie right now.

Comment

• vinabolt
                          Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
                          • Feb 2015
                          • Send PM

The thing is it's not guarantee a tie if they punt the ball. It's only the best result that they can get. A tie is the best result that they can get if they punt the ball. It's not like if they punt the ball it's automatically a tie.

DEN would still need to play defense with defensive players who were grabbing for air. Unlike offenses, defenses always have a fatigue problem, since they have to do the tackling. That's why we see offenses come back in the 4th quarter and success 2 mins offense in the 4th much more than clutch defensive stops.

The point of punting the ball is to get the ball back. In this case, Kubiak would punt the ball knowing that he won't get the ball back. It's basically give up the ball away. With 1 min left, KC would be in complete control, they can tie the game whenever they want by run it out or go for the win.

If they punt and get the touchback, KC start at 25 yard line, with 1 minute left they have enough time to drive to the FG range. I have seen Mathew Stafford went from 10 yard line to the FG range in about 20s. DEN during that time coudn't stop KC from driving the ball at all. Andy Reid was masterful in that game.

That's why going for 4th down was basically the only choice here, but Kubiak just completely forgot this option. It's much easier converting 10 yards than 62 yards fg.
                          Last edited by vinabolt; 11-29-2016, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X