POLL: Who was TT's Worst Dumpster-Dive Special Over the Years?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

POLL: Who was TT's Worst Dumpster-Dive Special Over the Years?

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

Maybe its about time to fire up a thread/poll on TT's best dumpster dive over the 11 years here.

Topcat can moderate it.

I nominate Michael Schofield.
    Hat tip to NorvMeNow...here u go!
    Willie Smith
    0%
    Max Starks
    0%
    Michael Schofield
    5.88%
    Michael Harris
    0%
    Jared "Big Lazy" Gaither
    41.18%
    Bront Bird
    5.88%
    Kevin Haslam
    0%
    Rex Hadnot
    0%
    Leron McClain
    0%
    Donald Brown
    0%
    "Launchwhiffy" Addae
    5.88%
    Eddie Royal
    0%
    Joe Barksdale
    0%
    Tre Boston
    0%
    Travis "Butterfingers" Benjamin
    17.65%
    Caleb Sturgis
    0%
    Detrez Newsome
    0%
    Thomas Davis
    0%
    Trai Turner
    0%
    Storm Norton
    23.53%
  • LA_BOLT
    GO BOLTS!!!
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I voted S. Norton, mainly because taking a guy from the XFL was a true dumpster-dive. Most of the other guys were a gamble, but were already performing at an NFL level, at least. Norton was a Practice-Squad-at-best talent, who was expected to back up a key position, then was forced into the role of starter, which exposed his lack of ability.

Storm Norton: truly one of Tom Telesco's "Greatest" Dumpster-Dives.
    Chargers logo:

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2023
      • Send PM

I think we need to define what a dumpster dive is: bottom of the barrel free agents, who are cheap and available because nobody wants them due to age or perceived lack of talent.

Often, they receive a 'whose that?' response from even the most player savy members of our board,
      or the 'is he still in the league' response.

Barksdale, Addae (who was signed as a free agent rookie), Eddy Royal (who was somewhat coveted in 2012) ..... that's not dumpster diving.

Excuse me, i'm a purist.

Erickson, Bassey, Foster Sarrell ..... these are the latest additions through dumpster diving.

Storm is a good choice, Schofield's 2nd time around is another good one.

Some teams find a gem once in a while .... Steelers getting James Harrison for instance.

TT has had next to no luck for 11 years.

Comment

• Whydachargers?
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2023
        • Send PM

I can't see anyone voting other than Storm Norton or Travis Private Benjamin. Storm couldn't block his dead great-grandmother. When Benjamin wasn't letting a TD slip through his fingers in the end zone he was making an absolute mockery of the punt return position. Oh boy! Travis and Storm were very hard to watch. I know Gaither quit on us big time but he was actually good his first year with us.

Comment

• AFboltfan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2018
          • Balboa Park bench
          • Medical Simulation
          • Send PM

Meh I voted Gaither but he was "expensive" technically... Storm is a good choice.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Whydachargers? View Post
            I can't see anyone voting other than Storm Norton or Travis Private Benjamin. Storm couldn't block his dead great-grandmother. When Benjamin wasn't letting a TD slip through his fingers in the end zone he was making an absolute mockery of the punt return position. Oh boy! Travis and Storm were very hard to watch. I know Gaither quit on us big time but he was actually good his first year with us.
            Gaither only played FIVE games with us at the end of the 2011 season, helping the the Bolts to win 4/5 of those games and rise up to a record of 8-8, but missing the playoffs. Gaither had bounced between the Ravens and Chefs, injured a lot, then the Bolts scraped him from the FA barrel. Then AJ Smith went nuts and, based on this small sample of work, awarded him a 4-year, $24 mil deal...Gaither never played another game with the Bolts, claiming he was injured...so initially, I do think he was a true dumpster-dive reclamation project...(I guess I shouldn't have included Gaither, since it was AJ's last year...oh, well).

Comment

• Whydachargers?
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2023
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Gaither only played FIVE games with us at the end of the 2011 season, helping the the Bolts to win 4/5 of those games and rise up to a record of 8-8, but missing the playoffs. Gaither had bounced between the Ravens and Chefs, injured a lot, then TT scraped him from the FA barrel. Then AJ Smith went nuts and, based on this small sample of work, awarded him a 4-year, $24 mil deal...Gaither never played another game with the Bolts, claiming he was injured...so initially, I do think he was a true dumpster-dive reclamation project...
              That was depressing. Five games wasn't enough. You make a good point.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2022
                • Send PM

Gaither was A.J. Smith's signing.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2022
                  • Send PM

Le'Ron McClain was also an A.J. Smith signing.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Pretty sure Eddie Royal, McClain and Gaither were AJs signings and Royal wasn't bad.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
                      Gaither was A.J. Smith's signing.
                      Yep...realized that after the fact...oops...Mods, maybe a re-title: What were TT and AJ's worst dumpster dive signings?

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

I would add Beluga, Harris, and JC Jackson to this list...
                        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

Working...
                        X