Do You Want The Chargers To Tank For Draft Position, or Win The Next Two Games?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CanadianBoltFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2022
    • White Rock, BC Canada
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post
    I want us to lose to get a higher pick. Then trade that pick to get another 2nd and 3rd, next years one from some team that needs a qb.
    The win 2 games for the "Giffer" crowd are not factoring in that the higher your draft pick, the more options you have to improve the team. Like a QB or LT desperate Team wanting to get to 5 ot 6 spot.

And please lets not distort the odds that you normally get franchise altering impact players in the first few picks as opposed to drafting later by listing a few outliers like Justin Jefferson.

Or that momentum of beating the Broncos ina meaningles game carries over into next year with a new GM, new coach, new staff, and many player changes, basically a new team

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2022
      • White Rock, BC Canada
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
      Love the energy Velo, but ironically, winning tomorrow IS the participation trophy.
      the chance to play for pride was @ vegas and we blew it; utterly and completely failed to honor the game and us fans.
      as a result, every raider creep/asshole I pass by rightfully gets to call my team "a bunch of quitters"
      But NOW they want to play for pride?!
      NOW I'm supposed to find some honor in participating in a meaningless exhibition match?
      F that. If I'm Giff I bench every player who gave up that horrid day and elevate the entire PS if need be.
      2024 cannot come any sooner.
      well said

I have already posted in similiar fashion about these last wins "showing the soul of the team" Bit late for that after the Raider game was a shameful perfomance where the whole league saw them quit.

The only thing to focus on now is a better team for next year. #5 pick helps that more than #12 pick or where we drop to for winning 2 useless games

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

The win 2 games for the "Giffer" crowd are not factoring in that the higher your draft pick, the more options you have to improve the team. Like a QB or LT desperate Team wanting to get to 5 ot 6 spot.

And please lets not distort the odds that you normally get franchise altering impact players in the first few picks as opposed to drafting later by listing a few outliers like Justin Jefferson.

Or that momentum of beating the Broncos ina meaningles game carries over into next year with a new GM, new coach, new staff, and many player changes, basically a new team
        This is also a place where John Boy and JoJo need to tell the coaches to play some of the players like JT Woods and maybe strongly encourage that Spiller gets about 15 carries and that some plays are designed for QJ

Need to know if these players have ability at this level

I think your thought that the team at 5/6 have more options at 9-12 is also very valid. With possibly the LTs and a QB - who knows what value they can get for trading down

Play hard, coach hard but lets be honest, 5-12 is not the worst thing as a final result

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

This is also a place where John Boy and JoJo need to tell the coaches to play some of the players like JT Woods and maybe strongly encourage that Spiller gets about 15 carries and that some plays are designed for QJ

Need to know if these players have ability at this level

I think your thought that the team at 5/6 have more options at 9-12 is also very valid. With possibly the LTs and a QB - who knows what value they can get for trading down

Play hard, coach hard but lets be honest, 5-12 is not the worst thing as a final result
          Lose today and our pick will be no less than #8. I think the highest we can move up to is #5-6 if we lose out. Not really that big of a difference but still a few spots. If somehow the chiefs lose today they will pull out all stops to win against us. LOL!

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

I'm not talking about a moral victory. I want the current players on this team to continue to develop, improve, and play well. Is wanting a light to go on in Quentin Johnston's head over the last two games a bad thing? To me the current players performing well is more important than moving up in the draft for a prospect who comes with absolutely no guarantee of being better than the guy who's selected five, 10, 15, or even 200 picks later.
            The "lets tank" crowd disregards this.

Comment

• colorado
              Fan since '62
              • Jun 2023
              • Desert Rat
              • Nothing but time on my hands
              • Send PM

I don't wish for them to tank, they're doing a pretty good job of it on their own.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

Originally posted by colorado View Post
                I don't wish for them to tank, they're doing a pretty good job of it on their own.
                Made laugh. Thank you.

Comment

• Whydachargers?
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2023
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                  Love the energy Velo, but ironically, winning tomorrow IS the participation trophy.
                  the chance to play for pride was @ vegas and we blew it; utterly and completely failed to honor the game and us fans.
                  as a result, every raider creep/asshole I pass by rightfully gets to call my team "a bunch of quitters"
                  But NOW they want to play for pride?!
                  NOW I'm supposed to find some honor in participating in a meaningless exhibition match?
                  F that. If I'm Giff I bench every player who gave up that horrid day and elevate the entire PS if need be.
                  2024 cannot come any sooner.
                  This team quit the week before the Raiders debacle vs. Denver. We were still very much in the wild card race when we played Denver at home. I don't know why people forget that game so easily but we played like zombies. No urgency. Just stupid as fuck. ALL Staley hallmarks.

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
                    Let's do this!
                    • Aug 2022
                    • Raleigh N. Carolina
                    • Send PM

My Grandfather was in Armor and fought Rommel in N Africa.

I was born in tanks!
                    Attached Files

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post
                      Like I said in my other post... Its easy to cherry pick examples on both sides of the argument.
                      It's not cherry picking. It's stating facts. I believe the motivation for most on this board to hope for tanking is they believe it will give us a better chance at Brock Bowers, whom they think is the almighty savior, "the tight end touched by God." Then I read some on here stating that winning will lead to a mediocre pick in the teens. Facts such as Darrelle Revis going 14th overall, Jerry Rice getting selected 16th overall, and Troy Polamalu being picked 16th overall shows that is oftentimes not the case. We're talking about three first-ballot Hall of Famers who are among the best of all time at their positions (Rice is undoubtedly the best).

Do I care if we lose now? Not really. I don't root for it, though. I just think it's an exercise in futility to root for the team to lose so it can gain a higher draft pick, since it doesn't guarantee we'll get the better player. Our last win of the 2019 season was a 45-10 demolishing of the Jaguars (Rivers' "90-yard touchdown!" game). If we had lost that game we would have been picking ahead of the Dolphins, and Tua Tagovailoa may very well be our quarterback right now. I doubt the majority of this board would rather have Tua than Herbert.

Comment

• AFboltfan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2018
                        • Balboa Park bench
                        • Medical Simulation
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

It's not cherry picking. It's stating facts. I believe the motivation for most on this board to hope for tanking is they believe it will give us a better chance at Brock Bowers, whom they think is the almighty savior, "the tight end touched by God." Then I read some on here stating that winning will lead to a mediocre pick in the teens. Facts such as Darrelle Revis going 14th overall, Jerry Rice getting selected 16th overall, and Troy Polamalu being picked 16th overall shows that is oftentimes not the case. We're talking about three first-ballot Hall of Famers who are among the best of all time at their positions (Rice is undoubtedly the best).

Do I care if we lose now? Not really. I don't root for it, though. I just think it's an exercise in futility to root for the team to lose so it can gain a higher draft pick, since it doesn't guarantee we'll get the better player. Our last win of the 2019 season was a 45-10 demolishing of the Jaguars (Rivers' "90-yard touchdown!" game). If we had lost that game we would have been picking ahead of the Dolphins, and Tua Tagovailoa may very well be our quarterback right now. I doubt the majority of this board would rather have Tua than Herbert.
                        Its still cherry picking facts when there are just as many facts to support the opposite... But I don't care to argue this anymore.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post

Its still cherry picking facts when there are just as many facts to support the opposite... But I don't care to argue this anymore.
                          I'd love to read facts about tanking that has actually worked. I won't, though, since nobody here will be able to do that.

Comment

Working...
                          X